    Another question, is this a good arangement for the combination or should I
    have a CDRW along with the main HD?

    Thanks.
    labatyd, Jan 31, 2004

  2. labatyd

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:06:37 -0600, "labatyd" <>
    wrote:

    >Is this a good news group to post a rather odd problem I'm experiencing?
    >
    >System: 500 Celron, 256 Ram, WIN98SE, C:=80G, D:=20G, two CDRW.
    >
    >Most often when I start the system it fails to recognize the D: drive. The
    >drive is good, it was my main drive until just days ago when I upgraded to
    >SE and moved everything to the larger drive. The two HD's are on IDE primary
    >and the two CDRW are on IDE secondary both with master slave settings as
    >required.
    >
    >Another question, is this a good arangement for the combination or should I
    >have a CDRW along with the main HD?

    Change your drive letters within Windows.

    Make one writer the R drive...the other the W drive.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Jan 31, 2004

  3. labatyd

    Thor Guest

    "labatyd" <> wrote in message
    > Is this a good news group to post a rather odd problem I'm experiencing?
    >
    > System: 500 Celron, 256 Ram, WIN98SE, C:=80G, D:=20G, two CDRW.
    >
    > Most often when I start the system it fails to recognize the D: drive. The
    > drive is good, it was my main drive until just days ago when I upgraded to
    > SE and moved everything to the larger drive. The two HD's are on IDE

    primary
    > and the two CDRW are on IDE secondary both with master slave settings as
    > required.
    >
    > Another question, is this a good arangement for the combination or should

    > have a CDRW along with the main HD?

    Check your cables, make sure they are fully seated. Or try a new IDE cable
    if the problem persists. Also check power cables to the drive in question.
    Try another one. Yes your arrangement is fine but with a caveat. When you
    have a CD burner on the same channel as the CDROM, direct disc to disc CD
    copying can be more problematic, since two devices sharing a channel cannot
    communicate at the same time over the IDE bus. This can slow down the data
    transmission from the CD drive to the CDRW drive. In the past, this could be
    a big problem by causing buffer underruns, but these days with underrun
    protection built in to burner drives, this shouldn't be a problem (unless
    you have an older CD burner of course).
    Thor, Jan 31, 2004
  4. labatyd

    labatyd Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "labatyd" <> wrote in message
    > > Is this a good news group to post a rather odd problem I'm experiencing?
    > >
    > > System: 500 Celron, 256 Ram, WIN98SE, C:=80G, D:=20G, two CDRW.
    > >
    > > Most often when I start the system it fails to recognize the D: drive.

    The
    > > drive is good, it was my main drive until just days ago when I upgraded

    > > SE and moved everything to the larger drive. The two HD's are on IDE

    > primary
    > > and the two CDRW are on IDE secondary both with master slave settings as
    > > required.
    > >
    > > Another question, is this a good arangement for the combination or

    should
    > > have a CDRW along with the main HD?

    > Check your cables, make sure they are fully seated. Or try a new IDE cable
    > if the problem persists. Also check power cables to the drive in question.
    > Try another one. Yes your arrangement is fine but with a caveat. When you
    > have a CD burner on the same channel as the CDROM, direct disc to disc CD
    > copying can be more problematic, since two devices sharing a channel

    cannot
    > communicate at the same time over the IDE bus. This can slow down the data
    > transmission from the CD drive to the CDRW drive. In the past, this could

    be
    > a big problem by causing buffer underruns, but these days with underrun
    > protection built in to burner drives, this shouldn't be a problem (unless
    > you have an older CD burner of course).

    Thanks for the reply. Did all the checks you mentioned first then more
    experimenting. I have now re-arranged the drives in this fashion and don't
    seem to be having any more problems.

    On the primary IDE cable I have:
    C:\ = 80 Gig main drive as master
    Newest faster CDRW as slave

    On the secondary IDE cable:
    Slower oldest CDRW as master
    D:\ = 20 Gig backup drive as slave

    Now is it important where the drives are connected on the cable itself? I
    have the master in both caes on the very end and the slaves on the middle
    connnection.

    I have not tried burning any discs but the system boots up quickly and
    always recognizes all drives. I haven't noticed any glitches yet.

    labatyd, Jan 31, 2004
  5. labatyd

    Thor Guest

    "labatyd" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "labatyd" <> wrote in message
    > > > Is this a good news group to post a rather odd problem I'm

    experiencing?

    > > > System: 500 Celron, 256 Ram, WIN98SE, C:=80G, D:=20G, two CDRW.
    > > >
    > > > Most often when I start the system it fails to recognize the D: drive.

    > The
    > > > drive is good, it was my main drive until just days ago when I

    upgraded
    > > > SE and moved everything to the larger drive. The two HD's are on IDE

    > > primary
    > > > and the two CDRW are on IDE secondary both with master slave settings

    as
    > > > required.
    > > >
    > > > Another question, is this a good arangement for the combination or

    > should
    > > > have a CDRW along with the main HD?

    > > Check your cables, make sure they are fully seated. Or try a new IDE

    cable
    > > if the problem persists. Also check power cables to the drive in

    question.
    > > Try another one. Yes your arrangement is fine but with a caveat. When

    you
    > > have a CD burner on the same channel as the CDROM, direct disc to disc

    CD
    > > copying can be more problematic, since two devices sharing a channel

    > cannot
    > > communicate at the same time over the IDE bus. This can slow down the

    data
    > > transmission from the CD drive to the CDRW drive. In the past, this

    could
    > be
    > > a big problem by causing buffer underruns, but these days with underrun
    > > protection built in to burner drives, this shouldn't be a problem

    (unless
    > > you have an older CD burner of course).

    > Thanks for the reply. Did all the checks you mentioned first then more
    > experimenting. I have now re-arranged the drives in this fashion and don't
    > seem to be having any more problems.
    >
    > On the primary IDE cable I have:
    > C:\ = 80 Gig main drive as master
    > Newest faster CDRW as slave
    >
    > On the secondary IDE cable:
    > Slower oldest CDRW as master
    > D:\ = 20 Gig backup drive as slave
    >
    > Now is it important where the drives are connected on the cable itself? I
    > have the master in both caes on the very end and the slaves on the middle
    > connnection.

    That's where they are supposed to be connected.

    > I have not tried burning any discs but the system boots up quickly and
    > always recognizes all drives. I haven't noticed any glitches yet.

    Good! :)
    Thor, Jan 31, 2004
  6. labatyd

    Wib Guest

    i was under the impression it was not wise to add a HD to an ide channel as
    slave to an atapi device, i may be wrong ?

    --
    Steve.P

    Wib, Feb 3, 2004
  7. labatyd

    Thor Guest

    "Wib lineone.net>" <wib_1@<nospam> wrote in message
    > i was under the impression it was not wise to add a HD to an ide channel

    as
    > slave to an atapi device, i may be wrong ?

    Just outdated info. Your impression is likely from the old rule of thumb
    that faster IDE devices coupled on the same channel with slower ones would
    cause a performance hit in the faster device. This has not been the case for
    several years now because modern chipsets support independent device timing.
    Therefore each device should be able to reach it's full performance
    potential.
    Thor, Feb 3, 2004