Strange Bird

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Sep 30, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.

    It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
    just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.

    The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
    necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
    Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
    long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
    like it comes from the body.

    The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
    than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
    poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
    down and isn't seen again.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-mCfcPZv/0/X3/2011-09-29-1-X3.jpg

    I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
    Using Google Images, I don't see that anyone else did any better.
    Here's link to a page in Field Guide for bird that has the same
    problem. Also a female Anhinga, but with neck extended.

    http://stokesbirdingblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/hippie-anhinga.html

    The processing needs to be re-done to tone down the blue, but it's not
    really an image I'm going to do anything else with after this.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 30, 2011

  2. tony cooper

    me Guest

    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Anhinga/id
    me, Sep 30, 2011

  3. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    : >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
    : >
[...]

    If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
    waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.

    The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
    Did you try toning that down?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 30, 2011
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:51:29 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <> wrote:
    >: On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
    >: <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    >: >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
    >: >
    >: >It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
    >: >just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
    >: >
    >: >The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
    >: >necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
    >: >Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
    >: >long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
    >: >like it comes from the body.
    >: >
    >: >The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
    >: >than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
    >: >poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
    >: >down and isn't seen again.
    >: >
    >: >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-mCfcPZv/0/X3/2011-09-29-1-X3.jpg
    >: >
    >: >I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
    >
    >If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
    >waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
    >
    >The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
    >Did you try toning that down?

    I didn't really want to. I'm not trying to make a good photograph out
    of this. Once I saw the way the head looks pasted in, I stopped
    processing. The head and neck just seem all out of proportion, and
    that makes it funny enough - to me - to leave it alone.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 1, 2011
  5. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <> wrote:
    >> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
    >> : <> wrote:
    >> :
    >> : >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    >> : >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
    >> : >
    >> : >It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
    >> : >just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
    >> : >
    >> : >The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
    >> : >necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
    >> : >Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
    >> : >long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
    >> : >like it comes from the body.
    >> : >
    >> : >The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
    >> : >than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
    >> : >poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
    >> : >down and isn't seen again.
    >> : >
    >> :
    >> >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-mCfcPZv/0/X3/2011-09-29-1-X3.jpg

    >:
    >>

    >> : >I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
    >>
    >> If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
    >> waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
    >>
    >> The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
    >> Did you try toning that down?
    >>
    >> Bob

    >Did you shoot that as an NEF?

    Yes, but I do NOT want to improve the image. Normally, I am quite
    willing to accept suggestions, but this image suits me just fine as it
    is. It's absurd. It looks like a bad Photoshopping effort. The head
    and neck are out-of proportion to the body. The neck grows out of the
    shoulder. It is the Snark, the flying Boojum, of the water birds.

    Yet, I didn't Photoshop it. I like it for the badness of it; even the
    high contrast and strange blue.

    >I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
    >blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.

    There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
    Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
    detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
    just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
    an ordinary snapshot.

    As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
    see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 1, 2011
  6. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/30/2011 6:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <> wrote:
    >> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
    >> : <> wrote:
    >> :
    >> : >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    >> : >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
    >> : >
    >> : >It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
    >> : >just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
    >> : >
    >> : >The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
    >> : >necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
    >> : >Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
    >> : >long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
    >> : >like it comes from the body.
    >> : >
    >> : >The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
    >> : >than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
    >> : >poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
    >> : >down and isn't seen again.
    >> : >
    >> :
    >> >http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-mCfcPZv/0/X3/2011-09-29-1-X3.jpg

    > :
    >>

    >> : >I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
    >>
    >> If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be
    >> somewhat
    >> waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
    >>
    >> The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high
    >> contrast level.
    >> Did you try toning that down?
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Did you shoot that as an NEF?
    >
    > I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
    > blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.
    >
    > You might be able to make some localized fixes in ACR.
    >
    > I have been trying some tweaking, and by fading the background "blue"
    > and working with what detail is there it appears a little better, but
    > the lack of detail in the body seems beyond recovery.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/TonyBirdComp_01.jpg >
    >
    > In hindsight it seems an ND grad and spot metering on the body might
    > have got a better result.
    > This might be a candidate for one of PeterN's abstract interpretations. ;-)
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/TonyBird-2.jpg >

    I have no idea why you say that. ;-)
    Though I have at least one interpretation planned for the SI.
    Be forewarned, do not look at it stoned.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 1, 2011
  7. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/30/2011 9:29 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe<> said:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me<> wrote:
    >>> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
    >>> :<> wrote:
    >>> :
    >>> :>I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    >>> :>processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
    >>> :>
    >>> :>It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
    >>> :>just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
    >>> :>
    >>> :>The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
    >>> :>necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
    >>> :>Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
    >>> :>long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
    >>> :>like it comes from the body.
    >>> :>
    >>> :>The Anhinga is a diving/swimming bird, that goes deeper and longer
    >>> :>than most diving/swimming birds. Sometimes you see just the head
    >>> :>poking up out of the water like submarine periscope, and then it goes
    >>> :>down and isn't seen again.
    >>> :>
    >>> :

    >> :
    >>>

    >>> :>I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.
    >>>
    >>> If she has just come out of the water, her outer feathers could be somewhat
    >>> waterlogged, which might account for the lack of detail.
    >>>
    >>> The image's biggest problem appears to be the unnaturally high contrast level.
    >>> Did you try toning that down?
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> Did you shoot that as an NEF?
    >>

    > Yes, but I do NOT want to improve the image. Normally, I am quite
    > willing to accept suggestions, but this image suits me just fine as it
    > is. It's absurd. It looks like a bad Photoshopping effort. The head
    > and neck are out-of proportion to the body. The neck grows out of the
    > shoulder. It is the Snark, the flying Boojum, of the water birds.
    >
    > Yet, I didn't Photoshop it. I like it for the badness of it; even the
    > high contrast and strange blue.
    >
    >> I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
    >> blown highlights in the neck& face, with no shadow detail on the body.
    >>

    > There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
    > Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
    > detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
    > just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
    > an ordinary snapshot.
    >
    > As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
    > see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

    Birds do get into some humorous positions.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 1, 2011
  8. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:29:50 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
    : <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    :
    : >On 2011-09-30 14:51:29 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    : >
    : >> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:02:46 -0400, me <> wrote:
    : >> : On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:33:36 -0400, tony cooper
    : >> : <> wrote:
    : >> :
    : >> : >I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    : >> : >processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
    : >> : >
[...]
    : >:
    : >>
    : >> >
[...]

    I can't speak for the Duck, but I was merely responding to your statement that
    "I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body." I
    certainly wasn't trying to hector you about your picture, and I didn't realize
    there was a joke I was supposed to get.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 1, 2011
  9. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:07:01 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2011-09-30 18:29:50 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:49:33 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >:
    >

    >:

    >>> Did you shoot that as an NEF?
    >>>

    >> Yes, but I do NOT want to improve the image. Normally, I am quite
    >> willing to accept suggestions, but this image suits me just fine as it
    >> is. It's absurd. It looks like a bad Photoshopping effort. The head
    >> and neck are out-of proportion to the body. The neck grows out of the
    >> shoulder. It is the Snark, the flying Boojum, of the water birds.
    >>
    >> Yet, I didn't Photoshop it. I like it for the badness of it; even the
    >> high contrast and strange blue.
    >>
    >>> I agree with Bob, the big problem is the contrast giving you almost
    >>> blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.
    >>>

    >> There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
    >> Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
    >> detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
    >> just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
    >> an ordinary snapshot.
    >>
    >> As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
    >> see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

    >Oh! I can certainly see it from your point of view. I just didn't get
    >that from your OP.
    >...and I certainly have my share of snicker inducing images, which can
    >surely be termed laughable. ;-)

    When I said it looks like the "Worst Photoshop Job - Ever", it didn't
    give you a clue?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 1, 2011
  10. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 23:04:34 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

> [...]
    >: >blown highlights in the neck & face, with no shadow detail on the body.
    >: >
    >:
    >: There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
    >: Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
    >: detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
    >: just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
    >: an ordinary snapshot.
    >:
    >: As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
    >: see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.
    >
    >I can't speak for the Duck, but I was merely responding to your statement that
    >"I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body." I
    >certainly wasn't trying to hector you about your picture, and I didn't realize

    The disappointment was in the lens. It's a new 18-270 Tamron. First
    day shooting it. That was assuaged somewhat by not being able to find
    other Anhinga photos where the body feathers are discernable.

    The lens seems to pick up enough detail at the high end, though.
    Depth of field is a bit strange in the grass for f/6. I was shooting
    Shutter at 1/1000 and ISO 400 just checking out the various
    combinations and saw this duck.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zsfF4PS/0/X3/2011-09-29-3-X3.jpg

    Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
    than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
    something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
    I've never seen an Anhinga up close.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 1, 2011
  11. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    > There is no problem! If I would (and I assure you I can in
    > Photoshop), adjust this image to be more pleasing to the eye with more
    > detail in the body feathers, less contrast, etc, then I would have
    > just another ordinary photograph. Not an interesting photograph, but
    > an ordinary snapshot.
    >
    > As is, I have an image that makes me laugh. I thought others might
    > see it this way, but the joke evidently doesn't fly.

    You're on to something but maybe the issue is more to do with the way the
    story is told that than the photo?

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge
    Charles E. Hardwidge, Oct 1, 2011
  12. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/30/2011 11:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    <snup>
    > I thought that was a statement of personal opinion, not the lead up to a
    > punchline. So as a joke it was completely wasted on me.
    > I think it might have had something to do with the delivery.

    That would be more likely with a stork, than an anhinga.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 1, 2011
  13. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/30/2011 11:54 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> [...]
    >> certainly wasn't trying to hector you about your picture, and I didn't realize
    >> there was a joke I was supposed to get.

    > The disappointment was in the lens. It's a new 18-270 Tamron. First
    > day shooting it. That was assuaged somewhat by not being able to find
    > other Anhinga photos where the body feathers are discernable.
    >
    > The lens seems to pick up enough detail at the high end, though.
    > Depth of field is a bit strange in the grass for f/6. I was shooting
    > Shutter at 1/1000 and ISO 400 just checking out the various
    > combinations and saw this duck.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-zsfF4PS/0/X3/2011-09-29-3-X3.jpg
    >

    > Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
    > than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
    > something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.

    They are all over the Glades.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 1, 2011
  14. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/1/2011 7:19 AM, G Paleologopoulos wrote:
    > "tony cooper" wrote in message
    > The processing needs to be re-done to tone down the blue, but it's not
    > really an image I'm going to do anything else with after this.

    What is "drivel" about sharing an image the OP thought unusual?

    Certainly there has been a lot more OT junk posted, that you have not
    objected to.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 1, 2011
  15. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2011-09-30 20:33:36 +0100, tony cooper said:

    > [...]
    > I was disappointed that there is no feather detail on the bird's body.

    In case this helps... The wet feathers on the swan's head and neck
    don't have much detail, I guess the same would apply to wet body
    feathers:

    <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/132205580/original>
    Pete A, Oct 1, 2011
  16. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:33:56 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >> Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
    >> than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
    >> something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
    >> I've never seen an Anhinga up close.
    >>

    >They are all over the Glades.

    They are one of the most common water birds around here. I've just
    never been able to see one up close enough to know what kind of
    feathers they have.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 1, 2011
  17. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/1/2011 8:12 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:33:56 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
    >>> than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
    >>> something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
    >>> I've never seen an Anhinga up close.
    >>>

    >> They are all over the Glades.

    > They are one of the most common water birds around here. I've just
    > never been able to see one up close enough to know what kind of
    > feathers they have.

    In the Glades, they let you get pretty close.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 1, 2011
  18. tony cooper

    philo Guest

    On 09/30/2011 02:33 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > I took this yesterday, but didn't realize until I got home and
    > processed it that it would look like the Worst Photoshop Job - Ever.
    >
    > It looks like I created a bird out of two photos, but it's actually
    > just the way it came out. Nothing more than normal processing.
    >
    > The bird, by the way, is a female Anhinga. The females have brown
    > necks and heads, and the males have black necks and heads. The
    > Anhinga is also called the Snakebird because of the long neck. That
    > long neck on this one is curved in such a way that it doesn't look
    > like it comes from the body.

    <snip>

    I like it!
    philo, Oct 2, 2011
  19. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:10:37 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 10/1/2011 8:12 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    : > On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:33:56 -0400, PeterN
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >>> Best I can guess, the wing feathers of the Anhinga are much coarser
    : >>> than the body feathers. The body feathers must be small or downy;
    : >>> something to do with their ability to spend a long time under water.
    : >>> I've never seen an Anhinga up close.
    : >>>
    : >> They are all over the Glades.
    : >
    : > They are one of the most common water birds around here. I've just
    : > never been able to see one up close enough to know what kind of
    : > feathers they have.
    :
    : In the Glades, they let you get pretty close.

    Especially if you're carrying, say, a fish. A National Park animal never turns
    down a free meal.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Oct 2, 2011
  20. tony cooper

    Ray Fischer Guest

    G Paleologopoulos <> wrote:
    >"tony cooper" wrote in message
    >The processing needs to be re-done to tone down the blue, but it's not
    >really an image I'm going to do anything else with after this.
    >--
    >Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    >
    >So why bother the group with this drivel?

    Just to annoy assholes like you?

    Ray Fischer, Oct 2, 2011