    I am getting different speeds each time i click it sometimes sais 2.0 ghz
    sometimes 999mgz sometimes 1.10 ghz ..is this a bug in windows perhaps ..

    can someone link me to an accurate program wich reads cpu speed ...thanks
    Asus Rocks!, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Asus Rocks!

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Asus Rocks!" wrote in message news:

    > I am running windows xp pro with a 3200 64 bit proccessor ,on an
    > asus a8v-e mobo ...
    >
    > when i select control panel and click system ,on the small box that
    > appears I am getting different speeds each time i click it sometimes
    > sais 2.0 ghz sometimes 999mgz sometimes 1.10 ghz ..is this a bug
    > in windows perhaps ..
    >
    > can someone link me to an accurate program wich reads cpu speed
    > ...thanks

    Does no-one use Google before asking any more?
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=amd cpu speed

    Second link returned...
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2364,00.html

    <quote>

    AMD Clock Version 2.0.0 - AMDClock shows the current speed of each core of
    each AMD processor in a system. The user has the ability to choose to run
    the application on top of all other applications and to select the refresh
    rate for reporting the speeds.

    AMD CPUID - This utility displays the processor signature, approximate
    speed, L1/L2 cache sizes, processor revision, and instruction extensions
    supported.

    </quote>
    Dave Lear, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Asus Rocks!

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:00:46 -0400, Asus Rocks! wrote:

    >I am running windows xp pro with a 3200 64 bit proccessor ,on an asus a8v-
    >e mobo ...
    >
    >when i select control panel and click system ,on the small box that appears
    >I am getting different speeds each time i click it sometimes sais 2.0 ghz
    >sometimes 999mgz sometimes 1.10 ghz ..is this a bug in windows perhaps ..
    >
    >can someone link me to an accurate program wich reads cpu speed ...thanks

    What about checking out this article, I haven't read it but the summary
    line from Google looks interesting.

    www.google.com , search for
    windows cpu speed display

    This is hits 2,3 and 4 out of the first 6

    Different ways to determine CPU speed in Windows XP or in Windows ...
    In Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003, CPU speed is reported in the
    For example, some computers display CPU speed when the computer first
    starts. ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888282 - Similar
    pages

    The Processor Speed May Be Reported Incorrectly in Windows XP
    If Windows XP queries the processor to determine its maximum speed
    while the
    processor ... speed in the CPU ID string that is displayed in this
    dialog box. ...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316965&Product=winxp
    - Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    000022 - CPU Speed in System Properties Dialog Box Differs from ...
    CPU Speed in System Properties Dialog Box Differs from Actual CPU Speed
    - 000022
    .... The speed displayed by Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 System ...
    www.optima.com.au/kb/000022.asp - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

    Hit 5 is an Intel speed util while hit 6 is AMD 64

    AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Utilities & Updates
    On some systems fans speed and processor temperature can be displayed if
    there
    .... AMD CPUInfo - This Windows® application executes and displays the
    return ...
    www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
    - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

    Me
    why?, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Asus Rocks!

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:10:33 +0100, Dave Lear wrote:

    >"Asus Rocks!" wrote in message news:
    >
    >> I am running windows xp pro with a 3200 64 bit proccessor ,on an
    >> asus a8v-e mobo ...
    >>
    >> when i select control panel and click system ,on the small box that
    >> appears I am getting different speeds each time i click it sometimes
    >> sais 2.0 ghz sometimes 999mgz sometimes 1.10 ghz ..is this a bug
    >> in windows perhaps ..
    >>
    >> can someone link me to an accurate program wich reads cpu speed
    >> ...thanks

    >Does no-one use Google before asking any more?

    It is going that way, worse when a variation of the words in the OP
    turns up this -

    The Processor Speed May Be Reported Incorrectly in Windows XP
    If Windows XP queries the processor to determine its maximum speed while
    the processor ... speed in the CPU ID string that is displayed in this
    dialog box.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316965&Product=winxp
    To Check the Current Speed Setting
    To Check the Maximum Speed Setting

    >http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=amd cpu speed
    >
    >Second link returned...
    >http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2364,00.html

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Asus Rocks!

    Buffalo Guest

    "Asus Rocks!" <> wrote in message
    > I am running windows xp pro with a 3200 64 bit proccessor ,on an asus a8v-
    > e mobo ...
    >
    > when i select control panel and click system ,on the small box that appears
    > I am getting different speeds each time i click it sometimes sais 2.0 ghz
    > sometimes 999mgz sometimes 1.10 ghz ..is this a bug in windows perhaps ..
    >
    > can someone link me to an accurate program wich reads cpu speed ...thanks

    If you can't notice any difference in your PC's speed, what difference does it
    'really' make?
    Buffalo, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Asus Rocks!

    Silvabod Guest

    I'm running new Athlon 3400+ (64bit) pc with the so-called "supercool"
    technology, had similar concern.
    I'm a novice. What I read in the spec about this chip is that it runs at low
    speed UNTIL the pc requires real processing speed/power, when it "wakes up"
    and runs at optimum speed. The benefit being, running at "tickover" speed
    for routine operations, it also runs at low temperature, prolonging the
    CPU's life.
    Run the full checks at www.pcpitstop.com for full info on your system - even
    THESE tests (on my new pc) didn't activate the full capacity of the 3400 -
    it registered just about 1000 (and reported a CPU problem, rated speed not
    utilised). Checked with pc mfr, who gave essentially the info above.
    Hope this helps

    Silvabod, Oct 24, 2005