Strange behavior for jpg thumbnails in XP Windows Exporer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by usenetdg@hotmail.com, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
    this type of directory structure:

    :::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
    whatever)
    :::::: L photo directory from that event
    :::::::::::: L original photos from that event

    The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
    through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
    make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
    photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
    it's the smaller version of the original.

    For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
    \IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
    \IMG_9561sm.jpg

    Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
    (under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
    Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
    show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.

    In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will instead
    be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
    IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
    shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
    size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original uncropped
    file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I double click on
    the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected, cropped and resized
    to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows Explorer that is
    wrong.

    What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
    digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
    office computer, also running XP.

    , Nov 9, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:21:59 -0000, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
    >this type of directory structure:
    >
    >:::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
    >whatever)
    >:::::: L photo directory from that event
    >:::::::::::: L original photos from that event
    >
    >The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
    >through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
    >make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
    >photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
    >it's the smaller version of the original.
    >
    >For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
    >\IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
    >\IMG_9561sm.jpg
    >
    >Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
    >(under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
    >Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
    >show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.
    >
    >In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will instead
    >be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
    >IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
    >shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
    >size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original uncropped
    >file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I double click on
    >the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected, cropped and resized
    >to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows Explorer that is
    >wrong.
    >
    >What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
    >digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
    >office computer, also running XP.

    The editing application you are using is not changing the embedded
    thumbnail inside the jpg and that is what is being used.

    , Nov 9, 2007

  3. pcbuilder98 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
    > this type of directory structure:
    >
    > :::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
    > whatever)
    > :::::: L photo directory from that event
    > :::::::::::: L original photos from that event
    >
    > The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
    > through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
    > make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
    > photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
    > it's the smaller version of the original.
    >
    > For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
    > \IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
    > \IMG_9561sm.jpg
    >
    > Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
    > (under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
    > Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
    > show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.
    >
    > In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will instead
    > be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
    > IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
    > shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
    > size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original uncropped
    > file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I double click on
    > the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected, cropped and resized
    > to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows Explorer that is
    > wrong.
    >
    > What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
    > digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
    > office computer, also running XP.

    Open folder > right click in folder > click properties > uncheck thumbnails
    > click apply > click OK > close folder > open folder > right click in

    folder > click properties > click enable thumbnail view > click apply >
    click OK > right click in folder > click refresh > click view > click
    thumbnail.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Nov 9, 8:49 am, wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:21:59 -0000, in rec.photo.digital
    >
    > >What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
    > >digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
    > >office computer, also running XP.

    > The editing application you are using is not changing the embedded
    > thumbnail inside the jpg and that is what is being used.

    Unlikely. I have Irfanview at my office and tried before posting.
    The thumbnail for an edited image stored in a different directory (or
    the same directory) matches the contents of the edited image.

    , Nov 9, 2007
  5. Dave W Guest

    You could try using Windows Explorer to view the directories. Make
    sure that hidden files are displayed, and delete any thumbnail index
    files that Windows or your viewer have created. Then go back to your
    viewer which should then re-create them correctly.

    Dave W, Nov 9, 2007
  6. John Holmes Guest

    pcbuilder98 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> For the tens of thousands of photos I have on my computer, I maintain
    >> this type of directory structure:
    >>
    >> :::event directory (such as Christmas 2005, Aunt Millie's birthday,
    >> whatever)
    >> :::::: L photo directory from that event
    >> :::::::::::: L original photos from that event
    >>
    >> The original directory is the unedited original photos. I then blow
    >> through these with Irfanview, and the ones I like, I crop, perhaps
    >> make small color adjustments to, resize to 800x600, and save in the
    >> photo directory above it, appending "sm" to the file name to indicate
    >> it's the smaller version of the original.
    >>
    >> For example, I might take 2005-1225Christmas\photos\originals
    >> \IMG_9561.jpg and edit it, then save it as 2005-1225Christmas\photos
    >> \IMG_9561sm.jpg
    >>
    >> Seemingly forever, the Windows explorer, in "details" on the left
    >> (under "file and folder tasks", and "other places" the way I have
    >> Windows Explorer configured) as I browse the folder, will of course
    >> show a thumbnail of an image if I single-click on that image.
    >>
    >> In recent days however, the thumbnail for an edited image will
    >> instead be the original image. That is, the cropped and edited
    >> IMG_9561sm.jpg, as described above, even though Explorer correctly
    >> shows it as being 108k when the orginal file might have been 2400k in
    >> size, will have a thumbnail that corresponds to the original
    >> uncropped file (IMG_9561.jpg) that is one directory lower. If I
    >> double click on the file (IMG_9561sm.jpg), it renders as expected,
    >> cropped and resized to 800x600. It's just its thumbnail in Windows
    >> Explorer that is wrong.
    >>
    >> What's going on here? This error is 100% reproducible among all my
    >> digital photos, spanning several years. It doesn't happen on my
    >> office computer, also running XP.
    >>

    > Open folder > right click in folder > click properties > uncheck
    > thumbnails
    >> click apply > click OK > close folder > open folder > right click in

    > folder > click properties > click enable thumbnail view > click apply
    > > click OK > right click in folder > click refresh > click view >

    > click thumbnail.

    You must be mental.

    --
    Your mother was a necrosed bum who flagellated herself in a mental
    hospital.

    John Holmes, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Mark Guest

    Just as an added test, turn off thumbnail caching and see what
    happens:
    Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > check Do not cache
    thumbnails > OK

    Mark, Nov 10, 2007