Strange Banner Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mike, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    Hey Guys ...

    This is a problem I have been having for quite sometime now,
    and nobody to this day has been able to figure ouy why.

    Please read the entire post.

    Not long ago, I decided to access my website - and, I noticed
    most of my banners that I have placed on my website were not
    displaying! Sometimes - in place of the banner would be a
    blue i with the words ... "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
    Other times, there will be just a missing banner image and a
    small box with a red x.

    Also, while going to other sites around the web, I notice
    missing banners with the blue i and the words ...
    "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."

    This just started happening. I reboot - but that didn't help. I
    cleared out my entire cache - history - cookies - everything!
    Reboot - no help. This is evident in all the latest versions of
    IE and Netscape. But here's the weird thing ... I also have
    AOL - and when I access my website using the AOL browser -
    all banners display fine. Just not in the Regular IE or Netscape.

    Also, it seems to be happening to just me - in-other-words, just
    on my end.

    This happened to me 4-6 months ago - and because I was
    due for a reformat anyway - I reformatted - and the banner
    problem was gone. But the banner missing problem has
    resurfaced once again.

    Same thing ... no banners anywhere - and missing banner
    images. I have had tons of people give me tips and ideas
    to fix this problem - but as of yet - nothing has worked.

    Any ideas? Help?

    Thanks in Advance - for ANY help you can give me on this
    subject!

    And then at Band Camp .....

    Paris

    mike, Oct 25, 2003

  2. mike

    DH Guest

    What is your encryption level? Many sites require 128-bit encryption. Start
    IE browser, click on HELP on the menu bar. Then click "About Internet
    Explorer". There should be a scroll window with information about your
    encryption level, among other things, and I think there's even a link to an
    update.

    DH, Oct 25, 2003

  3. mike

    Vulpine Guest

    to the best of my knowledge the encryption level is only for secure sites
    encryption?
    try checking your hosts file for any odd entries, a default hosts only has a
    127.0.0.1 localhost entry
    find files>>search hidden/system files>>hosts and open it with notepad
    do you have any ad blocking software? norton IS has ad blocking that might
    be effecting it? but my guess is with the hosts file

    Vulpine, Oct 25, 2003
  4. mike

    Richard Guest

    mike wrote:

    > Hey Guys ...

    > This is a problem I have been having for quite sometime now,
    > and nobody to this day has been able to figure ouy why.

    > Please read the entire post.

    > Not long ago, I decided to access my website - and, I noticed
    > most of my banners that I have placed on my website were not
    > displaying! Sometimes - in place of the banner would be a
    > blue i with the words ... "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
    > Other times, there will be just a missing banner image and a
    > small box with a red x.

    You may have turned off "animation". Many banners use animated banners and
    if this is turned off, you get nothing.
    If other images are showing fine, this is probably the cause.
    Go into tools/internet options. Click the advanced tab and scroll down to
    multimedia.
    Check "play animations".
    If that is checked, then you may need to change your zone settings.

    Richard, Oct 25, 2003
  5. mike

    °Mike° Guest

    That is a classic sign that advertising banner addresses
    have been blocked in your hosts file. Check out your
    hosts file, and trim it down if it is causing problems.

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:15:47 -0700, in
    <>
    mike scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 25, 2003
  6. mike

    filthybill

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I am having the same problem. Most banners, Particularly on MSN sites, show up as Page cannot be displayed. I checked that "Play animations" was checked in the advanced tab of my internet options. Outside of that... What the heck is a hosts file? Can anyone help? I'm at a loss.

    - Filthy

    filthybill, Oct 18, 2006