Strange ARP behaviour/storm from IOS 12.3(11)T3

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by wa6zvp@gmail.com, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    We have a border router, a 7206VXR running 12.3(11)T3 which gateways
    our entire class B network into a local area network feeding 10
    interior
    routers. OSPF is used internally, and the gateway router is seeing all
    of
    the appropriate next-hops.

    The gateway router has decided that it needs to maintain, and regularly
    ARP
    for the entire class B on the interior network. They are not
    'broadcast'
    ARP's, but rather, directed at the appropriate next-hop ethernet
    address.

    The gateway router has been running this release for about 3 weeks. I
    can't
    say for sure, but I believe this behavior just started this weekend.
    If it
    had started earlier, it surely would have been noticed, since it does
    disrupt
    the monitoring of our internal wireless lan when the ARP storm hits
    that
    network every 3 minutes. There have been no significant changes to
    this
    router (except for the OS upgrade) in over a year.

    Note that this is a continuous action, not sporadic due to some outside
    scan.

    Anyone have an idea what may be causing this, or what I can do to stop
    it?

    Roger

    , Apr 13, 2005