Strange Address bar searching

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Xyzxyzxyz, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Xyzxyzxyz

    Xyzxyzxyz Guest

    The address bar in XP IE6 has gone very weird when I try to use it to
    search.

    I've set it in IE6 to search from the address bar, but it won't work.

    For a while it would only search the same words, something to do with MSN>

    Now it only searches with the resulting message from MSN of 'can't find your
    page'.

    Could anyone let me know how to re-set the software, I've tried deleting all
    files, in preferences. I've tried re-setting search settings in IE
    preferences also.

    Any help appreciated.

    Many Thanks

    PS... how can I get Google searches. In instructions from the web, I should
    be able to choose from MSN and other search engines, including Google.. but
    when I go into settings, there's only MSN and no other search engines which
    I can search from.
    Xyzxyzxyz, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Xyzxyzxyz

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Xyzxyzxyz said:

    > The address bar in XP IE6 has gone very weird when I try to use it to
    > search.
    >
    > I've set it in IE6 to search from the address bar, but it won't work.
    >
    > For a while it would only search the same words, something to do with MSN>
    >
    > Now it only searches with the resulting message from MSN of 'can't find your
    > page'.
    >

    > Could anyone let me know how to re-set the software, I've tried deleting all
    > files, in preferences. I've tried re-setting search settings in IE
    > preferences also.
    >

    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >

    > PS... how can I get Google searches. In instructions from the web, I should
    > be able to choose from MSN and other search engines, including Google.. but
    > when I go into settings, there's only MSN and no other search engines which
    > I can search from.

    Can one assume you are using MSN 8?
    Do yourself an *enormously gigantic* favour and uninstall it.
    Brian H¹©, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Xyzxyzxyz

    °Mike° Guest

    Tools / Internet Options / Programs ... 'Reset Web Settings'.

    Make Google your default:
    http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:57:00 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c1l8gr$b47$>
    Xyzxyzxyz scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance