    huh? How do you get million dude? I don't see that word in there any where.
    Then, how the hell do you write, numerically, "six hundred six seventy"?

    I think the numbers should wind up being 300,670.
    richard, Jul 4, 2010

  2. richard <> via
    news:1vjnh05txq6xo$.12as11jphyr8l$:

    > http://www.examiner.com/x-34778-Monroe-County-Elections-2010-Examiner~y20
    > 10m7d2-Sweden-owes-Brockport-30060670
    >
    > I've been trying to make some sense out of the reporter's way of trying
    > to explain a contract between two cities.
    >
    > <quote>
    > When you convert the words ?Three Hundred Thousand Six Hundred Six
    > Seventy Dollars? to a numerical figure, you get $30,060,670. That?s
    > thirty million dollars.
    > </quote>
    >
    > huh? How do you get million dude? I don't see that word in there any
    > where. Then, how the hell do you write, numerically, "six hundred six
    > seventy"?
    >
    > I think the numbers should wind up being 300,670.

    Did the reporter say if it was US dollars, Canadian, or Hong Kong?

    Might make a difference, what with the price of MAYONNAISE going
    up because of the Gulf of Mexico's Horizon Rig Oil Gusher, and all.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and
    I am NOT Luu Tran's baby-daddy!

    http://www.facebook.com/luu.tran

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 4, 2010

  3. richard

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 07:26:25 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:58:41 -0400, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been trying to make some sense

    >No, you haven't.
    >
    >>huh? How do you get million dude? I don't see that word in there any where.
    >>Then, how the hell do you write, numerically, "six hundred six seventy"?

    >606.70.
    >
    >>I think

    >No, you don't.

    You cut right to the chase on this reply. The truth and nothing but
    the truth.
    joevan, Jul 4, 2010
  4. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > http://www.examiner.com/x-34778-Mon...iner~y2010m7d2-Sweden-owes-Brockport-30060670

    That is a dumb article about a dumb conflict between two cities.

    > I've been trying to make some sense out of the reporter's way of trying to
    > explain a contract between two cities.

    The reporter does a bad job in several places.

    > <quote>
    > When you convert the words ?Three Hundred Thousand Six Hundred Six Seventy
    > Dollars? to a numerical figure, you get $30,060,670. That?s thirty million
    > dollars.
    > </quote>

    That part is very bad.

    He is commenting on these words which actually appear in the contract:

    <q> Sweden owes Brockport “the sum of Three Hundred Thousand Six Hundred
    Six Seventy Dollars ($307,161).”

    The problem is that the contract which wanted to say $307,161.00, should
    have said 'three hundred seven thousand one hundred sixty one dollars'

    .... instead of the words which it said which were meaningless, and then
    the reporter or blogger or whatever he is should not have interpreted
    the meaningless words in such a way just to try to make his blog/article
    more 'spectacular'.

    There is a lot of very bad reporting/blogging on the internet. Don't
    read it or quote it or fret over it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 4, 2010
  5. joevan wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >>richard wrote:
    >>> I've been trying to make some sense

    >> No, you haven't.
    >>
    >>> huh? How do you get million dude? I don't see that word in there any
    >>> where. Then, how the hell do you write, numerically, "six hundred
    >>> six seventy"?

    >> 606.70.
    >>
    >>> I think

    >> No, you don't.

    > You cut right to the chase on this reply. The truth and nothing but
    > the truth.

    Perhaps RtS has been practicing his math, figuring distances to
    horizons. <g>

    But seriously, those towns/villages have been fighting for years over
    services. They're in my neck-of-the-woods. It simply seems that a slew
    of town clerks don't know how to write out the English words for
    numerals.

    Just last month, the Village of Brockport decided to remain a village by
    a narrow margin of votes, else it would have been absorbed into the Town
    of Sweden (and all those service contracts would have become moot).

    <http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/news/articles/2010/06/Voters-opt-not-to-dissolve-Brockport/>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 4, 2010
  6. richard

    dadiOH Guest

    richard wrote:
    > http://www.examiner.com/x-34778-Mon...iner~y2010m7d2-Sweden-owes-Brockport-30060670
    >
    > I've been trying to make some sense out of the reporter's way of
    > trying to explain a contract between two cities.
    >
    > <quote>
    > When you convert the words ?Three Hundred Thousand Six Hundred Six
    > Seventy Dollars? to a numerical figure, you get $30,060,670. That?s
    > thirty million dollars.
    > </quote>
    >
    > huh? How do you get million dude? I don't see that word in there any
    > where. Then, how the hell do you write, numerically, "six hundred six
    > seventy"?

    The written part is gibberish.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jul 4, 2010
  7. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    wrote in news:Xns9DAB5E282C6C6BuckyGram@207.246.207.166:

    > richard <> via
    >
    >> http://www.examiner.com/x-34778-Monroe-County-Elections-2010-Examiner~
    >> y20 10m7d2-Sweden-owes-Brockport-30060670
    >>
    >> I've been trying to make some sense out of the reporter's way of
    >> trying to explain a contract between two cities.
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> When you convert the words ?Three Hundred Thousand Six Hundred Six
    >> Seventy Dollars? to a numerical figure, you get $30,060,670. That?s
    >> thirty million dollars.
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> huh? How do you get million dude? I don't see that word in there any
    >> where. Then, how the hell do you write, numerically, "six hundred six
    >> seventy"?
    >>
    >> I think the numbers should wind up being 300,670.

    > Did the reporter say if it was US dollars, Canadian, or Hong Kong?

    Not Canadian. It's at .96 of a US$ right now. There's also Australian. Hong
    Kong - no longer being a British Colony would be the Yuan I would think.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 4, 2010
  8. chuckcar <> via news:Xns9DABB1D076608chuck@127.0.0.1:

    > Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    > wrote in news:Xns9DAB5E282C6C6BuckyGram@207.246.207.166:
    >
    >> richard <> via
    >>
    >>> http://www.examiner.com/x-34778-Monroe-County-Elections-2010-Examiner~
    >>> y20 10m7d2-Sweden-owes-Brockport-30060670
    >>>
    >>> I've been trying to make some sense out of the reporter's way of
    >>> trying to explain a contract between two cities.
    >>>
    >>> <quote>
    >>> When you convert the words ?Three Hundred Thousand Six Hundred Six
    >>> Seventy Dollars? to a numerical figure, you get $30,060,670. That?s
    >>> thirty million dollars.
    >>> </quote>
    >>>
    >>> huh? How do you get million dude? I don't see that word in there any
    >>> where. Then, how the hell do you write, numerically, "six hundred six
    >>> seventy"?
    >>>
    >>> I think the numbers should wind up being 300,670.

    >> Did the reporter say if it was US dollars, Canadian, or Hong Kong?

    > Not Canadian. It's at .96 of a US$ right now. There's also Australian.
    > Hong Kong - no longer being a British Colony would be the Yuan I would
    > think.

    Well, in that case... "the numbers should wind up being" twenty dollar.

    HTH.

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 5, 2010
  9. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    Re: Story line leaves one to wonder what ever happened to basicmath?

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:05:16 +0000, Bucky Breeder wrote:

    > chuckcar <> via news:Xns9DABB1D076608chuck@127.0.0.1:
    >
    >> Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    >> wrote in news:Xns9DAB5E282C6C6BuckyGram@207.246.207.166:
    >>
    >>> richard <> via

    Examiner~

    >>> Did the reporter say if it was US dollars, Canadian, or Hong Kong?

    >> Not Canadian. It's at .96 of a US$ right now. There's also Australian.
    >> Hong Kong - no longer being a British Colony would be the Yuan I would
    >> think.

    > Well, in that case... "the numbers should wind up being" twenty dollar.

    Twenny dorrah. I rub u rong time, Johnny.

    Aardvark, Jul 5, 2010