    p.s.

    i'm taking 5-4 MegaPixel pics if it helps
    If it changes anything i'm using a

    Dan Irwin, Jun 21, 2004

  2. > Hi,

    > I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
    > The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
    > while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
    > can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
    > expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?
    >
    > thanks for the help,
    >
    > dan

    See if you can borrow, rather than buy, flash cards....

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Dan Irwin

    Pete Guest

    On 21 Jun 2004 07:45:57 -0700, Dan Irwin wrote:

    > I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
    > The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
    > while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
    > can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
    > expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?

    Various companies offer portable hard drives and CD burners with built-in
    card readers, just for this purpose. I don't have any experience with them,
    but I believe some sell for under $300.

    Another approach would be to go to a small, independent computer store
    whenever your memory cards fill up, and have them burn a CD for you. (I
    have used these stores to burn CDs when I filled my laptop hard drive with
    photos!) It's also possible Kinko's and similar outlets can let you do the
    same thing.

    Pete, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Re: Storing photos while on a trip. Without a laptop and on abudget

    (Dan Irwin) writes:

    > I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
    > The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
    > while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
    > can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
    > expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?

    You can get smaller-than-a-laptop devices that are basically a hard
    drive in a box with a memory card slot; any memory card inserted in
    the slot gets copied onto the hard drive.

    Trouble with this, or with just putting them on the laptop hard drive,
    is that you then have only *one* copy of your precious pictures.

    My current (adopted some years ago) isn't a current production model,
    and has limitation probably not acceptable for a newly-chosen system.
    I have an Iomega Fotoshow, which does basically the same thing but to
    Zip disks (250MB; hence can handle only up to 256MB memory cards and
    even then I have to find a couple of photos to delete if I really
    filled it 100%). Now, a *single* zip disk is much LESS reliable than
    a hard drive; but I can copy it to *two* (or more) zip disks, which
    makes me feel a lot better.

    My choice would be the laptop, with a CD-R drive. I'd burn at least
    one CD of each batch of photos, plus keep the copy on the hard drive.
    Ideally, one CD copy could be mailed home directly rather than carried
    with me.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Dan Irwin

    Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:

    > My choice would be the laptop, with a CD-R drive. I'd burn at least
    > one CD of each batch of photos, plus keep the copy on the hard drive.
    > Ideally, one CD copy could be mailed home directly rather than carried
    > with me.

    That's what I do. My laptop is very light and it has a built in CD-RW/DVD-R
    burner so I just bring some blank DVD media with me for backup purposes.

    , Jun 21, 2004
  6. Edit Edit Edit. Then Edit some more. Get rid of all the duplicate and
    junk or second best shoots and you will be surprised at how much storage
    space you have and your friends will be amazed at how your photography has
    improved when they see only the best 10% or your work.

    If needed stop by a photo shop or an internet cafe and have them
    download all your photos to a CD and you will have all that space on your
    cards freed up.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Dan Irwin

    RustY © Guest

    I use a Gmini from Archos - its the business.... Look at www.archos.com

    --
    For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

    RustY ©, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Dan Irwin

    Anoni Moose Guest

    Also be sure to check out flash prices, esp Sandisk ones.

    A 1-Gb card will be under $250, and that's quite a few
    images. Probably around 350~450 on your camera. A good
    many if you delete the obvious blurry ones (etc) each
    night of the trip.

    Mike.

    Anoni Moose, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Dan Irwin

    Dan Irwin Guest

    Thx for the help, do you know of the name of any of those burners?

    Dan Irwin, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Dan Irwin

    Frank ess Guest

    These write to CD, read DVD; battery or ac convertor operated:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/RDS/RDS.HTM

    Review of the same item with a different name:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/addonics_mfr.html

    I've had one for a few weeks. It works. My only wishes are: it should be
    a little smaller and lighter; should fit in the very nice bag (supplied)
    without removing the external battery. Barring that, no complaints. I
    got mine from Addonics, two days turnaround from online order to front
    doorstep. Right at $300 with an extra battery.

    Frank ess, Jun 21, 2004
  11. "Dan Irwin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of

    pictures.
    > The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
    > while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
    > can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
    > expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?
    >
    > thanks for the help,
    >
    > dan
    >
    > p.s.
    >
    > i'm taking 5-4 MegaPixel pics if it helps
    > If it changes anything i'm using a

    I use a 30 GB "Tripper" to store the images on my CF cards. Here's a
    20 GB unit for $ 219.99
    http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.nl/c.ACCT139057/category.37/it.A/id.154/.f

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 21, 2004
  12. Dan Irwin

    Steve Almond Guest

    What laptop would that be?

    Steve

    Steve Almond, Jun 21, 2004
  13. Dan Irwin

    Drifter Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm about to go on a 6 week trip and i want to take alot of pictures.
    >The olny poblem i have seem to run into is how to store this pics
    >while on my trip. I'm not going to be taking my laptop along so i
    >can't store them on a computer. Buying a lot of flash cards can get
    >expensive, and i'm on a tight budget, so is there another option?

    I wound up in a pinch and bought a "20GB Digital Photo Library" from
    Radio Shack for $90 (it says IO Magic on it but it's really a Vosonic
    VP2030) http://www.vosonic.co.uk/

    I'm shooting RAW mode with a Canon 10D and I have one 1GB card and two
    256mb cards. The drive is really SLOW (18 min to download a 1GB
    card) but so far I've had no problems with it and it sure beats the
    price of another 1GB highspeed card (at about $350). I can typically
    get about 5GB worth of downloads onto the unit before the battery pack
    geeks on me.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jun 22, 2004
  14. Dan Irwin

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Drifter

    >The drive is really SLOW (18 min to download a 1GB
    >card) but so far I've had no problems with it and it sure beats the
    >price of another 1GB highspeed card (at about $350).

    The 40x Lexar 1 GB cards with Write Acceleration are about $200 or so these
    days at B&H ...

    Bill Hilton, Jun 22, 2004
  15. Dan Irwin

    Drifter Guest

    On 22 Jun 2004 03:07:17 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    >>From: Drifter

    >>The drive is really SLOW (18 min to download a 1GB
    >>card) but so far I've had no problems with it and it sure beats the
    >>price of another 1GB highspeed card (at about $350).

    >The 40x Lexar 1 GB cards with Write Acceleration are about $200 or so these
    >days at B&H ...

    That's good to know, thanks. (of course now I have that 20gb drive
    so... <grin).

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jun 22, 2004
  16. Dan Irwin

    jean Guest

    While I do agree with you in a digital age, copies and duplicates are the
    way to go but in the old days, there was never any mention of having only
    one copy of a negative and trusting that single negative to a photo lab.
    Everything could happen then, the exposed roll of film could be lost, veiled
    by excessive radiations or x-rays, the film could be badly developped by the
    lab, someone else could end up with your pictures...

    That being said, I bought a 20Gb Image Tank on e-bay for my next trip, so
    far it has performed correctly. If I could take a laptop as well (I don't
    have one) then I would, if the laptop had a CD burner, then I would burn CDs
    as well. On a previous trip when I had a Coolpix 995, I had a laptop with a
    rather small HD which I quickly filled up and I had my flash cards full as
    well when I came back.

    Jean

    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>

    jean, Jun 22, 2004
  17. Dan Irwin

    Tom Nelson Guest

    The other alternative is a used Digital Wallet on eBay. The company's
    out of business but you can pick 'em up cheap. they work fine. The
    manufacturer was Minds@Work.

    Tom Nelson, Jun 22, 2004
  18. Re: Storing photos while on a trip. Without a laptop and on abudget

    "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> writes:

    > While I do agree with you in a digital age, copies and duplicates are the
    > way to go but in the old days, there was never any mention of having only
    > one copy of a negative and trusting that single negative to a photo lab.
    > Everything could happen then, the exposed roll of film could be lost, veiled
    > by excessive radiations or x-rays, the film could be badly developped by the
    > lab, someone else could end up with your pictures...

    I myself, and people I know, frequently debated whether the extra risk
    of sending stuff through the mails to cheaper labs was, overall, worth
    it. And people argued for "pro" labs over "consumer" labs partly on
    the basis of a (claimed) lower risk of something bad happening to your
    film there. There was also considerable discussion of how best to
    pack film for shipment, if you were going to ship it -- people did
    things like including an address label with each roll inside each film
    can, in case they got separated from the paperwork. Wedding
    photographers talked about submitting the A and B rolls in separate
    batches, to make sure both copies of key pictures weren't going
    through the same machine at the same time.

    So, in my experience, people were *very* aware of the dangers and
    risks of having only one copy, and tended to do lots of things to
    mitigate those risks as much as possible.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 22, 2004
  19. Dan Irwin

    Tony Nazar Guest

    In article <>,
    "Steve Almond" <> wrote:

    > What laptop would that be?

    That would depend on how much you want to spend. Given no budget
    constraints, for travel I'd choose a 12 inch Powerbook G4 with a
    Superdrive so I could burn DVDs.

    Tony Nazar, Jun 23, 2004
  20. Dan Irwin

    jean Guest

    > "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> writes:
    >
    > > While I do agree with you in a digital age, copies and duplicates are

    the
    > > way to go but in the old days, there was never any mention of having

    only
    > > one copy of a negative and trusting that single negative to a photo lab.
    > > Everything could happen then, the exposed roll of film could be lost,

    veiled
    > > by excessive radiations or x-rays, the film could be badly developped by

    the
    > > lab, someone else could end up with your pictures...

    > I myself, and people I know, frequently debated whether the extra risk
    > of sending stuff through the mails to cheaper labs was, overall, worth
    > it. And people argued for "pro" labs over "consumer" labs partly on
    > the basis of a (claimed) lower risk of something bad happening to your
    > film there. There was also considerable discussion of how best to
    > pack film for shipment, if you were going to ship it -- people did
    > things like including an address label with each roll inside each film
    > can, in case they got separated from the paperwork. Wedding
    > photographers talked about submitting the A and B rolls in separate
    > batches, to make sure both copies of key pictures weren't going
    > through the same machine at the same time.
    >
    > So, in my experience, people were *very* aware of the dangers and
    > risks of having only one copy, and tended to do lots of things to
    > mitigate those risks as much as possible.
    > --

    You are problably very right, the pros were aware of the possibility of
    losing money, but I being an average joe did not take two pictures of
    everything while on vacation with two cameras (hard to dupe pictures with
    analog means) and send the two different exposed rolls to two different
    labs...

    I may have been lucky so far. The first digital trip, (Grand Canyon) being
    a newbie I could not copy the files to my buddy's laptop because the
    software would not install. I filled up all my cards taking out the bad
    ones before going to bed. The second digital trip (Japan), I had a laptop
    with a small HD, I filled up all the free space and filled up all my cards.
    On either of those trips I did not have backups of all the pictures I took,
    I had a few which were the same on the cards and on the HD but I only needed
    the pictures on the laptop.

    All this talk about backups.... time to copy my latest pics to DVDs and copy
    the DVDs to my system at the office ;-)

    Jean

    jean, Jun 23, 2004