    Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

    asdf3b, Nov 13, 2006

  2. asdf3b

    Bob Williams Guest

    asdf3b wrote:

    > Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    > need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    > best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

    I store all my batteries in thick plastic baggies (Freezer Quality) and
    keep them in the refrigerator. If you have some silica gel, you can put
    that in too, to absorb any moisture that may diffuse thru the baggie.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 13, 2006

  3. asdf3b

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    asdf3b wrote:
    > Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    > need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    > best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

    One view here:

    http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp

    Google for more.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 13, 2006
  4. asdf3b

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
    not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
    to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
    fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
    batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
    discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

    Ed Mullikin, Nov 13, 2006
  5. asdf3b

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:19 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

    > My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
    > not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
    > to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
    > fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
    > batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
    > discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

    If you're lucky they'll still be able to be charged, but many
    Li-Ion batteries will be unusable when they go that long between
    charges. The best thing to do is to immediately try to charge them,
    and if they still work, *use them*. Li-Ion batteries deteriorate at
    a much higher rate than other battery types even if they aren't
    used. Their slogan should be "Use it or lose it!"

    ASAAR, Nov 13, 2006
  6. asdf3b wrote:
    > Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    > need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    > best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

    Nikon suggests storing the batteries at or near
    room temperature and at partial discharge

    George E. Cawthon, Nov 13, 2006
  7. asdf3b

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
    > not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
    > to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
    > fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
    > batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
    > discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

    Pretty darn useless, unless you charge them. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 13, 2006
  8. asdf3b

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:19 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:
    >
    >> My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
    >> not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
    >> to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
    >> fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
    >> batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
    >> discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

    > If you're lucky they'll still be able to be charged, but many
    > Li-Ion batteries will be unusable when they go that long between
    > charges. The best thing to do is to immediately try to charge them,
    > and if they still work, *use them*. Li-Ion batteries deteriorate at
    > a much higher rate than other battery types even if they aren't
    > used. Their slogan should be "Use it or lose it!"

    Yes, I have read the same thing. I dread the day my laptop battery
    expires...

    Ron Hunter, Nov 13, 2006
  9. asdf3b

    remove Guest

    On 12 Nov 2006 18:01:02 -0800, "asdf3b" <>
    wrote:

    >Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    >need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    >best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

    Check out:

    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

    Pretty comprehensive site for battery info. Even has a chart for
    recoverable capacity after 1 year of storage at various temperatures.

    HTH
    Bill

    remove, Nov 13, 2006
  10. remove wrote:
    > On 12 Nov 2006 18:01:02 -0800, "asdf3b" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    >> need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    >> best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

    > Check out:
    >
    > http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
    >
    > Pretty comprehensive site for battery info. Even has a chart for
    > recoverable capacity after 1 year of storage at various temperatures.
    >
    > HTH
    > Bill

    Thanks for the link, pretty much the most
    comprehensive information that I have seen.

    George E. Cawthon, Nov 14, 2006
  11. asdf3b wrote:

    > Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    > need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    > best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

    Hi,

    I have 2 batteries each for my digital camera, cell phone, and laptop. I
    simply alternate using them, roughly every 3 months or so. Lithium ion
    batteries have a life of 2-3 years, so in my estimation, keeping an
    extra one in a closet is pointless. I therefore rotate and use them all;
    and so far it works out well.

    Morton Linder

    Morton Linder, Nov 14, 2006
  12. asdf3b

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:52:09 -0500, Morton Linder wrote:

    > I have 2 batteries each for my digital camera, cell phone, and laptop. I
    > simply alternate using them, roughly every 3 months or so. Lithium ion
    > batteries have a life of 2-3 years, so in my estimation, keeping an
    > extra one in a closet is pointless. I therefore rotate and use them all;
    > and so far it works out well.

    So do I, but with a slight difference. I have two batteries for
    my cell phone, and as I keep the phone on 24x7, the batteries need
    to be recharged about every 8 or 9 days. Battery #2 is charged and
    used only once every 2 months. Battery #1 gets the bulk of the use,
    nearly 8 charge cycles every 2 months. After they've been used for
    2 or 3 years I'll compare their remaining capacities, which may or
    may not provide any useful information concerning how Li-Ion
    batteries should be used.

    ASAAR, Nov 14, 2006
  13. asdf3b

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I just asked Sony's Customer Care the question about shelf life of new
    lithium batteries. I don't think they even read my question. They went
    into great detail about using a current battery and the charging/care
    thereof.

    Ed Mullikin, Nov 14, 2006
  14. asdf3b

    KerryWill Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > asdf3b wrote:
    >
    > > Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
    > > need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
    > > best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.
    > >

    > I store all my batteries in thick plastic baggies (Freezer Quality) and
    > keep them in the refrigerator. If you have some silica gel, you can put
    > that in too, to absorb any moisture that may diffuse thru the baggie.
    > Bob Williams

    Bob is right: For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge
    level on a cool place (in the refrigerator). Do NOT freeze the battery
    though!

    Kerry W.
    http://phone-experts.info/

    KerryWill, Jan 2, 2007