    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ and dot to . to reply
    Peter James, May 16, 2004

  2. Thumbs Plus and Portfolio are two that I have tried...there are lots of
    others.
    They all do it with a database...SFAIK

    Gene Palmiter, May 16, 2004

  3. Peter James wrote:
    > I want to store digital images on my HD. That's no problem, but I
    > need some sort of software that will allow me to describe, annotate,
    > file under various sections and be easy to recall and collate. Can
    > anyone suggest something that will do this? I guess it will be some
    > sort of Database, but my only experience of databases is with DBase 3
    > plus, and that's a little out of date now. Thanks.

    I use Adobe's Photoshop Album 2.0. Thumbs is also well thought of.
    There are a lot of such programs.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, May 16, 2004
  4. Peter James wrote:
    > I want to store digital images on my HD. That's no problem, but I
    > need some sort of software that will allow me to describe, annotate,
    > file under various sections and be easy to recall and collate. Can
    > anyone suggest something that will do this? I guess it will be some
    > sort of Database, but my only experience of databases is with DBase 3
    > plus, and that's a little out of date now. Thanks.

    You just make sheets of thumbnails of the pics in a program such as
    Compupic, then file that with the CD of the images. The title of the
    page and the disc could be whatever you want, usually the event that you
    photographed. Especially with the date of the shoot.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, May 16, 2004
  5. Peter James

    Michael Guest

    I use adobe photoalbum.

    Also manages my photo backups as well, but I haven't tried recovering from a
    disaster situation yet...

    Mike

    Michael, May 17, 2004
  6. Peter James

    Drifter Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 20:42:56 +0100, Peter James
    <> wrote:

    >I want to store digital images on my HD. That's no problem, but I
    >need some sort of software that will allow me to describe, annotate,
    >file under various sections and be easy to recall and collate. Can
    >anyone suggest something that will do this? I guess it will be some
    >sort of Database, but my only experience of databases is with DBase 3
    >plus, and that's a little out of date now. Thanks.

    I almost went insane over this same issue then I found photools
    iMatch.
    http://www.photools.com/

    I haven't looked back since. I will caution you that It has a bit of
    a learning curve at first. Download the demo and really put it
    through it's paces before you buy so you are sure it is what you want.

    Hint, if you don't read any other part of the manual, read the section
    on "Image property sets" starting on p. 73 of the electronic manual.
    You really do need to decide what properties you want to enter/track
    BEFORE you start entering data 'cause changing it later is a real
    PITA!

    For me it was a winner because it...
    1) made for pretty easy cataloging of a large collection.
    2) Allowed me to make a second catalog of client work (so it's not
    mixed in with my "fun" photography)
    3) It also allows me to have the database on my laptop so I can
    annotate images during down time out on the road.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, May 17, 2004
  7. Peter James

    R Guest

    I like Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album

    http://www.jasc.com/products/?

    Pretty nice user interface, easy to define and assign keywords, will search
    catalogs cd's which are not currently mounted.

    Has some quick fix editing features but you really need something more
    powerful, such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop for substantial editing.

    Roger

    R, May 17, 2004
  8. Peter James <> writes:

    > I want to store digital images on my HD. That's no problem, but I
    > need some sort of software that will allow me to describe, annotate,
    > file under various sections and be easy to recall and collate. Can
    > anyone suggest something that will do this? I guess it will be some
    > sort of Database, but my only experience of databases is with DBase 3
    > plus, and that's a little out of date now. Thanks.

    Well, you *could* roll your own, but it sounds like what you want is
    Thumbs Plus (from Cerious Software), which does all those things.
    Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>,<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 17, 2004
  9. Peter James

    Cool Hand Guest

    Few people realizes that Windoz file system is a database.
    You want search, it has search.
    You want indexing, it has indexing.
    Third parties have script languages. One can even use PD borne shells, c
    shell...

    Cool Hand, May 17, 2004