    Just curious, does it hurt to allow dvd's to be stored sideways? Had someone
    tell me that letting some of my dvd cases lay sideways could hurt/warp them.

    Just Jess
    Bratboy, May 26, 2004

  2. Bratboy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Bratboy wrote:
    > Just curious, does it hurt to allow dvd's to be stored sideways?

    No. In fact, that's the preferred way.

    > Had
    > someone tell me that letting some of my dvd cases lay sideways could
    > hurt/warp them.

    Don't believe everything you hear. :)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 26, 2004

  3. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > No. In fact, that's the preferred way.
    >
    >> Had
    >> someone tell me that letting some of my dvd cases lay sideways could
    >> hurt/warp them.

    > Don't believe everything you hear. :)
    >
    > Mike

    Im sorry. After re-reading my post I think I worded things poorly. What I
    meant was flat (=), not upright (||)

    Just Jess
    Bratboy, May 26, 2004
  4. Bratboy

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Bratboy" <> wrote:

    > Im sorry. After re-reading my post I think I worded things poorly. What I
    > meant was flat (=), not upright (||)

    There was a recent CNN article that claimed you should do this with any
    optical disc, but I believe this is nothing more than superfluous based
    on speculation by a few paranoid individuals. I've stored my CD's face
    down for many years now and have yet to develop any problems with them.
    Don't even worry about how they're being stored. The only thing you need
    to do is handle the discs with the utmost care when they're out of the
    keep/jewel case. As long as you do this, your DVD's and CD's will last
    for many, many years.

    --
    BL
    Black Locust, May 27, 2004
  5. Black Locust () writes:
    > In article <>,
    > "Bratboy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Im sorry. After re-reading my post I think I worded things poorly. What I
    >> meant was flat (=), not upright (||)

    > There was a recent CNN article that claimed you should do this with any
    > optical disc, but I believe this is nothing more than superfluous based
    > on speculation by a few paranoid individuals. I've stored my CD's face
    > down for many years now and have yet to develop any problems with them.
    > Don't even worry about how they're being stored. The only thing you need
    > to do is handle the discs with the utmost care when they're out of the
    > keep/jewel case. As long as you do this, your DVD's and CD's will last
    > for many, many years.

    It almost sounds like someone is confusing DVDs (or CDs) with actual
    records. Stacking them so the large surface was parallel with the floor
    is not a good idea. You've got all the weight of the rest of the pile bearing
    down on the records.

    DVDs (and CDs) are in much better shape since the cases take the weight off
    the disk.

    Michael
    Michael Black, May 27, 2004
  6. Bratboy

    Robotman Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > Just curious, does it hurt to allow dvd's to be stored sideways? Had

    someone
    > tell me that letting some of my dvd cases lay sideways could hurt/warp

    them.

    > Just Jess

    Over time your dvd's will become thicker on one side than the other and will
    cause them to become unbalanced in your dvd player and then you run the rick
    of them exploding like when the faster cd drives started coming out.

    It is better to lay them flat so that they get thicker in a uniform manner.

    Robotman.
    Robotman, May 27, 2004
  7. Bratboy

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Bratboy wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >> No. In fact, that's the preferred way.
    >>
    >>> Had
    >>> someone tell me that letting some of my dvd cases lay sideways could
    >>> hurt/warp them.

    >> Don't believe everything you hear. :)

    > Im sorry. After re-reading my post I think I worded things poorly.
    > What I meant was flat (=), not upright (||)

    Ultimately, I doubt it really matters which way they're stored.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, May 27, 2004
  8. Bratboy

    WMeynerd Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 05:44:27 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >Bratboy wrote:
    >> "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >>> No. In fact, that's the preferred way.

    >>> Don't believe everything you hear. :)

    >> Im sorry. After re-reading my post I think I worded things poorly.
    >> What I meant was flat (=), not upright (||)

    >Ultimately, I doubt it really matters which way they're stored.
    >
    >Mike

    With your opinion now registered, I guess there's nothing more to say!

    Claire D. Lune
    WMeynerd, May 27, 2004
  9. "Bratboy" <> writes:

    > Just curious, does it hurt to allow dvd's to be stored sideways? Had someone
    > tell me that letting some of my dvd cases lay sideways could hurt/warp them.
    >
    > Just Jess

    As long as they are in a case it shouldn't matter at all.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
    Scott Streeter, May 27, 2004