    prefer them not to have to handle the CDs.
    How do I store and run CD software directly from the hard disc?
    Am using Windows XP and have plenty of gigabytes left on the drive.
    fruitbat, Apr 22, 2004

  2. fruitbat

    colin Guest

    fruitbat <> wrote in message
    news:40877b8e$0$16580$...
    > I use a number of CD educational programs for 7 and 8 year olds, but would
    > prefer them not to have to handle the CDs.
    > How do I store and run CD software directly from the hard disc?
    > Am using Windows XP and have plenty of gigabytes left on the drive.

    VirtualCD http://www.virtualcd-online.com/ or a free alternative; should
    do.
    colin, Apr 22, 2004

  3. fruitbat

    Jerry G. Guest

    Make a folder on the drive, that has a name corresponding each of the names
    of the CD's, so there is a logical reference to use them. If you have 5
    different CD programs, you will have 5 different folders (one for each).

    Now, open the respective folder, and do a complete copy of the contents of
    the CD disk to that folder. You will then have to work out the file that is
    the start file for the program to run. You can then make a shortcut on your
    desktop to this file. This way you can run the respective program from the
    CD disk.

    Note, that each of these CD's can use about 1 gb of space on your hard drive
    when copied over.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Apr 22, 2004
  4. fruitbat

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Make a folder on the drive, that has a name corresponding each of the

    names
    > of the CD's, so there is a logical reference to use them. If you have 5
    > different CD programs, you will have 5 different folders (one for each).
    >
    > Now, open the respective folder, and do a complete copy of the contents of
    > the CD disk to that folder. You will then have to work out the file that

    is
    > the start file for the program to run. You can then make a shortcut on

    your
    > desktop to this file. This way you can run the respective program from the
    > CD disk.
    >
    > Note, that each of these CD's can use about 1 gb of space on your hard

    drive
    > when copied over.

    If the CDs employ some kind of copy protection scheme, this method more than
    likely will fail.
    Thor, Apr 22, 2004
  5. fruitbat

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:00:16 +1000, "fruitbat" <>
    wrote:

    >I use a number of CD educational programs for 7 and 8 year olds, but would
    >prefer them not to have to handle the CDs.
    >How do I store and run CD software directly from the hard disc?
    >Am using Windows XP and have plenty of gigabytes left on the drive.

    Simply copy the CD to a folder on the hard drive. Create a shortcut
    for the .exe file. This'll work in most cases.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.
    Trent©, Apr 22, 2004
  6. fruitbat

    The Prophecy Guest

    Trent© wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:00:16 +1000, "fruitbat" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I use a number of CD educational programs for 7 and 8 year olds, but
    >> would prefer them not to have to handle the CDs.
    >> How do I store and run CD software directly from the hard disc?
    >> Am using Windows XP and have plenty of gigabytes left on the drive.
    >>

    > Simply copy the CD to a folder on the hard drive. Create a shortcut
    > for the .exe file. This'll work in most cases.
    >

    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent
    >
    > What do you call a smart blonde?
    > A golden retriever.

    This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.
    The Prophecy, Apr 22, 2004
  7. fruitbat

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:44:21 GMT, "The Prophecy"
    <> wrote:

    >Trent© wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:00:16 +1000, "fruitbat" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use a number of CD educational programs for 7 and 8 year olds, but
    >>> would prefer them not to have to handle the CDs.
    >>> How do I store and run CD software directly from the hard disc?
    >>> Am using Windows XP and have plenty of gigabytes left on the drive.
    >>>

    >> Simply copy the CD to a folder on the hard drive. Create a shortcut
    >> for the .exe file. This'll work in most cases.
    >>

    >> Have a nice week...
    >>
    >> Trent
    >>
    >> What do you call a smart blonde?
    >> A golden retriever.

    >This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.

    Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
    person doing the copying.

    It'll 'work in most cases'.

    Trent©, Apr 22, 2004
  8. On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:24:38 -0400, Trent© <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:44:21 GMT, "The Prophecy"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Trent© wrote:

    >>> Simply copy the CD to a folder on the hard drive. Create a shortcut
    >>> for the .exe file. This'll work in most cases.
    >>>

    >>> Have a nice week...
    >>>
    >>> Trent
    >>>
    >>> What do you call a smart blonde?
    >>> A golden retriever.

    >>This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.

    >Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
    >person doing the copying.
    >
    >It'll 'work in most cases'.

    Trent is still the unmitigated troll posting deliberately wrong information. He
    knows that what he posted is not true.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Apr 22, 2004
  9. fruitbat

    Drifter Guest

    wrote:

    >I use a number of CD educational programs for 7 and 8 year olds, but would
    >prefer them not to have to handle the CDs.
    >How do I store and run CD software directly from the hard disc?
    >Am using Windows XP and have plenty of gigabytes left on the drive.

    Try Alcohol 52% or 120% (Yes, it's really software and it works great
    for games on my laptop when I don't want to take the CDs out of town
    with me and risk loosing/damaging them.

    http://www.alcohol-software.com/

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Apr 23, 2004
  10. fruitbat

    The Prophecy Guest

    Trent© wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:44:21 GMT, "The Prophecy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Trent© wrote:

    >>> Simply copy the CD to a folder on the hard drive. Create a shortcut
    >>> for the .exe file. This'll work in most cases.
    >>>

    >>> Have a nice week...
    >>>
    >>> Trent
    >>>
    >>> What do you call a smart blonde?
    >>> A golden retriever.

    >> This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.

    > Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
    > person doing the copying.
    >
    > It'll 'work in most cases'.
    >

    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent
    >
    > What do you call a smart blonde?
    > A golden retriever.

    Are you on crack? Copy protection exists on virtually every game and app CD
    made within the last 5-6 years. (If that figure is off, somebody please let
    me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to know **** all about CD's and
    copy protection.)
    The Prophecy, Apr 23, 2004
  11. fruitbat

    fruitbat Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Make a folder on the drive, that has a name corresponding each of the

    names
    > of the CD's, so there is a logical reference to use them. If you have 5
    > different CD programs, you will have 5 different folders (one for each).
    >
    > Now, open the respective folder, and do a complete copy of the contents of
    > the CD disk to that folder. You will then have to work out the file that

    is
    > the start file for the program to run. You can then make a shortcut on

    your
    > desktop to this file. This way you can run the respective program from the
    > CD disk.

    I just tried this on three educational/game CDs and it not not work on any
    of them.
    fruitbat, Apr 23, 2004
  12. fruitbat

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:38:17 GMT, "The Prophecy"
    <> wrote:

    >>> This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.

    >> Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
    >> person doing the copying.
    >>
    >> It'll 'work in most cases'.

    >Are you on crack?

    Not right now...no.

    > Copy protection exists on virtually every game and app CD
    >made within the last 5-6 years.

    Sorry...yer wrong. An ATTEMPT at copy protection exists.

    >(If that figure is off, somebody please let
    >me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to know **** all about CD's and
    >copy protection.)

    ROTFLMAO !!!

    Trent©, Apr 23, 2004
  13. fruitbat

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:43:28 +1000, "fruitbat" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >> Make a folder on the drive, that has a name corresponding each of the

    >names
    >> of the CD's, so there is a logical reference to use them. If you have 5
    >> different CD programs, you will have 5 different folders (one for each).
    >>
    >> Now, open the respective folder, and do a complete copy of the contents of
    >> the CD disk to that folder. You will then have to work out the file that

    >is
    >> the start file for the program to run. You can then make a shortcut on

    >your
    >> desktop to this file. This way you can run the respective program from the
    >> CD disk.
    >>

    >I just tried this on three educational/game CDs and it not not work on any
    >of them.

    So...what happens? Do the programs need to be installed?

    Trent©, Apr 23, 2004
  14. fruitbat

    Michael-NC Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > Trent© wrote:
    > > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:44:21 GMT, "The Prophecy"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.

    > > Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
    > > person doing the copying.
    > >
    > > It'll 'work in most cases'.
    > >

    > > Have a nice week...
    > >
    > > Trent
    > >
    > > What do you call a smart blonde?
    > > A golden retriever.

    > Are you on crack? Copy protection exists on virtually every game and app

    CD
    > made within the last 5-6 years. (If that figure is off, somebody please

    let
    > me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to know **** all about CD's

    and
    > copy protection.)

    Trent's a troll and an asswipe. Avoid posting to him or posts submitted by
    him, unless it's to correct the fucked-up advice he likes to give out.
    Michael-NC, Apr 24, 2004
  15. fruitbat

    colin Guest

    Michael-NC <> wrote in message

    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > > Trent© wrote:

    > > > Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
    > > > person doing the copying.
    > > >
    > > > It'll 'work in most cases'.
    > > >

    > > > Have a nice week...
    > > >
    > > > Trent
    > > >
    > > > What do you call a smart blonde?
    > > > A golden retriever.

    > > Are you on crack? Copy protection exists on virtually every game and app

    > CD
    > > made within the last 5-6 years. (If that figure is off, somebody please

    > let
    > > me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to know **** all about CD's

    > and
    > > copy protection.)

    > Trent's a troll and an asswipe. Avoid posting to him or posts submitted by
    > him, unless it's to correct the fucked-up advice he likes to give out.

    Educate the bloke, if at all possible, as to what an iso is.

    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/index.php
    colin, Apr 24, 2004
  16. fruitbat

    The Prophecy Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:
    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    >> Trent© wrote:

    >>> Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
    >>> person doing the copying.
    >>>
    >>> It'll 'work in most cases'.
    >>>

    >>> Have a nice week...
    >>>
    >>> Trent
    >>>
    >>> What do you call a smart blonde?
    >>> A golden retriever.

    >> Are you on crack? Copy protection exists on virtually every game and
    >> app CD made within the last 5-6 years. (If that figure is off,
    >> somebody please let me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to
    >> know **** all about CD's and copy protection.)

    > Trent's a troll and an asswipe. Avoid posting to him or posts
    > submitted by him, unless it's to correct the fucked-up advice he
    > likes to give out.

    I don't even think you can call it advice.
    The Prophecy, Apr 26, 2004