    are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also sure that all
    internet activity is kept service providers etc. This post is only concerned
    with data kept locally on ones HDD

    Stuart, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Stuart

    gb Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    news:c18dhf$o6d$...

    <snip>

    > I am not
    > particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just examining
    > it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children go, or for that
    > matter where my wife goes!!

    <snip>

    Yeh, right!

    gb, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Stuart

    trout Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > I have just read an article about some perv who has recently been
    > jailed for rape and murder, and part of the evidence against him came
    > from his computers hard drive. Apparently it could be shown that he
    > had visited certain internet sites on certain days over three years
    > ago. I have further read that all internet activity is stored either
    > in hidden files or stored on windows/system.dat and windows/user.dat
    >
    > If this is the case, how can I access this information? I am not
    > particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just
    > examining it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children
    > go, or for that matter where my wife goes!!
    >

    > BTW..I am looking for something a bit more in depth than where the
    > cookies are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also
    > sure that all internet activity is kept service providers etc. This
    > post is only concerned with data kept locally on ones HDD

    Well, you shouldn't need any help with cookies or Temporary Internet
    Files, as the folders are named in a pretty self-explanatory manner.
    As for URLs hidden in index files; this program is designed to
    remove them, but you can see what they are before/instead:
    Spider: http://tinyurl.com/eoyl
    --
    "Interesting things."

    trout, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Stuart

    Doulos86 Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > I have just read an article about some perv who has recently been jailed

    for
    > rape and murder, and part of the evidence against him came from his
    > computers hard drive. Apparently it could be shown that he had visited
    > certain internet sites on certain days over three years ago. I have

    further
    > read that all internet activity is stored either in hidden files or

    stored
    > on windows/system.dat and windows/user.dat
    >
    > If this is the case, how can I access this information? I am not
    > particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just examining
    > it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children go, or for that
    > matter where my wife goes!!
    >

    > BTW..I am looking for something a bit more in depth than where the cookies
    > are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also sure that

    all
    > internet activity is kept service providers etc. This post is only

    concerned
    > with data kept locally on ones HDD

    Your IP is logged at the ISP level. So you can always be tracked down the
    road if the need should arise.
    There is a cookie index file which logs this info. There is a program call
    IL System Wiper, which I use, and this will delete this index file.

    Furthermore, deleting files and other data from your hard drive does not
    REMOVE it from your hard drive. It only removes the directory info.
    Therefore, you can use forensics to reveal info on a hard drive that could
    be 10 years old (or longer). You may be interested in purchasing a data
    shredder. What this essentially does is write and re-write... over and over
    and over... the area where the data to be shredded is stored. This makes it
    unrecoverable. This is a software program that you can purchase, and they
    are fairly inexpensive.

    When disposing of an old hard drive... drill 5 or 10 holes through it with a
    drill. That'll pretty much seal its fate with regard to nosy snoops after
    its been discarded.

    Doulos86, Feb 22, 2004
  5. "Doulos86" <doulos86 AT yahoo DOT com> wrote in message

    > "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have just read an article about some perv who has recently been jailed

    > for
    > > rape and murder, and part of the evidence against him came from his
    > > computers hard drive. Apparently it could be shown that he had visited
    > > certain internet sites on certain days over three years ago. I have

    > further
    > > read that all internet activity is stored either in hidden files or

    > stored
    > > on windows/system.dat and windows/user.dat
    > >
    > > If this is the case, how can I access this information? I am not
    > > particularly interested in deleting or removing this info, just

    examining
    > > it...for instance it would be nice to no where my children go, or for

    that
    > > matter where my wife goes!!
    > >

    > > BTW..I am looking for something a bit more in depth than where the

    cookies
    > > are kept and the Temporary Internet Files are kept! I am also sure that

    > all
    > > internet activity is kept service providers etc. This post is only

    > concerned
    > > with data kept locally on ones HDD
    > >

    > Your IP is logged at the ISP level. So you can always be tracked down the
    > road if the need should arise.
    > There is a cookie index file which logs this info. There is a program

    call
    > IL System Wiper, which I use, and this will delete this index file.
    >
    > Furthermore, deleting files and other data from your hard drive does not
    > REMOVE it from your hard drive. It only removes the directory info.
    > Therefore, you can use forensics to reveal info on a hard drive that could
    > be 10 years old (or longer). You may be interested in purchasing a data
    > shredder. What this essentially does is write and re-write... over and

    over
    > and over... the area where the data to be shredded is stored. This makes

    it
    > unrecoverable. This is a software program that you can purchase, and they
    > are fairly inexpensive.
    >
    > When disposing of an old hard drive... drill 5 or 10 holes through it with

    > drill. That'll pretty much seal its fate with regard to nosy snoops after
    > its been discarded.

    Actually with even drilling holes its still possible to retrieve data off of
    it. Data wiping the hard drive, though will take a long time, is the way to
    go. There are a ton of data wipers out there, even some for free, that you
    can use. If your really paranoid, make sure you get one that supports U.S.
    DoD 5200.28-STD which will the data 7 times in a row.

    Its true that ISP's dhcp server will log the IP address given to a mac
    address, its usually not the case that they log where you go to. It is
    possible for them to do so, but its generally not done.

    As for your cookies, you can download Galletta which can be found at
    http://tinyurl.com/rt3c

    This tool will read a cookie file and tell you exactly what information is
    stored in there. Some pretty interesting information can be found in the
    cookies.

    You can examine your computers history by going into the History folder
    under the users profile and running a program called pasco against the
    index.dat file. This will read the entire file and tell you everywhere your
    browser has been. That program can be found at http://tinyurl.com/rt3c as
    well.

    Hope this helps.

    BleepingComputer.com
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

    The Website devoted to helping the novice computer user learn basic
    concepts of computing and how to solve computing problems quickly
    and easily.

    BleepingComputer.com, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Stuart

    vinney

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Messages:
    9
    Hi Stuart
    I installed in my home computer ProteMac KeyBag ( protemac.com)...and now i know who, when, where did...usefull and protect my family from internet influence

    vinney, Aug 26, 2009