Storage & retrieval of movie still photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Maria, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Hi all,

    over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real photoprints, 20 x 30 cm.
    I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and archive them.

    Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors he has directed; or an
    actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for that year or country.
    It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would be one or more of my
    stills.

    Does anyone know of such software available?
    In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and CD's, or am I wrong
    here?

    In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30 data-elements per movie
    still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.

    Curious,
    Maria

    Maria, Dec 21, 2006

  2. Maria

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Maria
    <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real photoprints,
    > 20 x 30 cm.
    > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
    > archive them.
    >
    > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors he
    > has directed; or an
    > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
    > that year or country.
    > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would be
    > one or more of my
    > stills.
    >
    > Does anyone know of such software available?
    > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and
    > CD's, or am I wrong
    > here?
    >
    > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
    > data-elements per movie
    > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
    >
    > Curious,
    > Maria

    Almost any program that will allow entry and search on keyword metadata
    will do what you want.

    Apple Aperture (Macs only) is probably the premier program at doing
    that. Particularly, its smart search/album criteria allows any number
    of different criteria to be used for a search, just as you describe.
    It's designed exactly as a tool to do photo management such as you
    describe, plus RAW image editing, but it may be overkill for you (the
    image editing may not be that important to your described task) - and
    unfortunately you appear as if you're on a Windoze box, so it won't
    even run for you.

    Similarly oriented, Adobe Lightroom (beta) runs on both Mac & Win and
    does what you want, but not as elegantly (IMO) as Aperture at this
    time. It's currently in free beta, so you could try it out. If you do
    have access to a Mac, Aperture also has a free 30 day trial.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 21, 2006

  3. Maria

    M Berger Guest

    Canto Cumulus is a resource management program designed
    for media. It will do what you want and more.

    M Berger, Dec 21, 2006
  4. Maria

    Cgiorgio Guest

    "Maria" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi all,
    >
    > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real
    > photoprints, 20 x 30 cm.
    > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
    > archive them.
    >
    > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors
    > he has directed; or an
    > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
    > that year or country.
    > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would
    > be one or more of my
    > stills.
    >
    > Does anyone know of such software available?
    > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's
    > and CD's, or am I wrong
    > here?
    >
    > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
    > data-elements per movie
    > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
    >
    > Curious,
    > Maria

    Ulead Photo Album (included with Photo Impact) and many other Album programs
    will do that. Current version of PhotoImpact is 12, but 10 will do as well
    (possibly available in low price version).

    Cgiorgio, Dec 21, 2006
  5. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Ken Lucke wrote:

    > In article <>, Maria
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real photoprints,
    > > 20 x 30 cm.
    > > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
    > > archive them.
    > >
    > > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors he
    > > has directed; or an
    > > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
    > > that year or country.
    > > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would be
    > > one or more of my
    > > stills.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of such software available?
    > > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and
    > > CD's, or am I wrong
    > > here?
    > >
    > > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
    > > data-elements per movie
    > > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
    > >
    > > Curious,
    > > Maria

    > Almost any program that will allow entry and search on keyword metadata
    > will do what you want.
    >
    > Apple Aperture (Macs only) is probably the premier program at doing
    > that. Particularly, its smart search/album criteria allows any number
    > of different criteria to be used for a search, just as you describe.
    > It's designed exactly as a tool to do photo management such as you
    > describe, plus RAW image editing, but it may be overkill for you (the
    > image editing may not be that important to your described task) - and
    > unfortunately you appear as if you're on a Windoze box, so it won't
    > even run for you.
    >
    > Similarly oriented, Adobe Lightroom (beta) runs on both Mac & Win and
    > does what you want, but not as elegantly (IMO) as Aperture at this
    > time. It's currently in free beta, so you could try it out. If you do
    > have access to a Mac, Aperture also has a free 30 day trial.
    >
    > --
    > You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
    > reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
    > the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
    > independence.
    > -- Charles A. Beard

    Thanks. Will those apps interface/integrate with a website for making my stills available for
    purchase?
    Do you have a view as to how long these apps will be around?
    Would hate to embark on an app that becomes obsolete...
    Maria

    Maria, Dec 24, 2006
  6. Maria

    Maria Guest

    M Berger wrote:

    > Canto Cumulus is a resource management program designed
    > for media. It will do what you want and more.
    >
    > Maria wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of such software available?
    > > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and CD's, or am I wrong
    > > here?
    > >
    > > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30 data-elements per movie
    > > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
    > >
    > > Curious,
    > > Maria

    Thanks -- will look into that!
    Maria

    Maria, Dec 24, 2006
  7. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Cgiorgio wrote:

    > "Maria" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real
    > > photoprints, 20 x 30 cm.
    > > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
    > > archive them.
    > >
    > > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors
    > > he has directed; or an
    > > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
    > > that year or country.
    > > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would
    > > be one or more of my
    > > stills.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of such software available?
    > > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's
    > > and CD's, or am I wrong
    > > here?
    > >
    > > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
    > > data-elements per movie
    > > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
    > >
    > > Curious,
    > > Maria

    > Ulead Photo Album (included with Photo Impact) and many other Album programs
    > will do that. Current version of PhotoImpact is 12, but 10 will do as well
    > (possibly available in low price version).

    Thansk.
    What would be your estimate as to obsolesence of those apps; will they live another say 5 years?
    Maria

    Maria, Dec 24, 2006
  8. Maria

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Maria
    <> wrote:

    > Ken Lucke wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, Maria
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real
    > > > photoprints,
    > > > 20 x 30 cm.
    > > > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
    > > > archive them.
    > > >
    > > > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors
    > > > he
    > > > has directed; or an
    > > > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
    > > > that year or country.
    > > > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would
    > > > be
    > > > one or more of my
    > > > stills.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know of such software available?
    > > > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's
    > > > and
    > > > CD's, or am I wrong
    > > > here?
    > > >
    > > > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
    > > > data-elements per movie
    > > > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
    > > >
    > > > Curious,
    > > > Maria

    > > Almost any program that will allow entry and search on keyword metadata
    > > will do what you want.
    > >
    > > Apple Aperture (Macs only) is probably the premier program at doing
    > > that. Particularly, its smart search/album criteria allows any number
    > > of different criteria to be used for a search, just as you describe.
    > > It's designed exactly as a tool to do photo management such as you
    > > describe, plus RAW image editing, but it may be overkill for you (the
    > > image editing may not be that important to your described task) - and
    > > unfortunately you appear as if you're on a Windoze box, so it won't
    > > even run for you.
    > >
    > > Similarly oriented, Adobe Lightroom (beta) runs on both Mac & Win and
    > > does what you want, but not as elegantly (IMO) as Aperture at this
    > > time. It's currently in free beta, so you could try it out. If you do
    > > have access to a Mac, Aperture also has a free 30 day trial.
    > >
    > > --
    > > You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
    > > reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
    > > the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
    > > independence.
    > > -- Charles A. Beard

    > Thanks. Will those apps interface/integrate with a website for making my
    > stills available for
    > purchase?

    Yes & no. Either will create a website, in several flavors. BUT you
    are restricted to those flavors, with creeating additional ones
    extremely difficult to impossible. In my expperience, it's best to use
    a separate web-creation program.

    > Do you have a view as to how long these apps will be around?
    > Would hate to embark on an app that becomes obsolete...
    > Maria

    Both are just emerging in the last year. Neither will be going away
    soon (they are targetting new, virtually untapped markets), and if they
    did, they are both useable as they are now, even should support be
    dropped tomorrow.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 24, 2006