Storage recommendations?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    I've got about 225 DVD and VHS movies -- not very many, I know, but
    my collection is growing, maybe 300 within a year. (Still not very
    many, to most of you, I suppose.) I need some sort of rack to store
    them on.

    Here's the constraint: I'm going to be an RA in a dorm, and floor
    space is very tight. So I want a unit that maximizes the number of
    DVDs stored per square inch of floor. I want to intermix VHS and DVD
    alphabetically, though I can't imagine that would be a problem.
    Ideally all or part of the storage would be covered by opaque doors
    or similar, where I would have the, er, "special" videos that I
    didn't necessarily want visible to the casual eye.

    I don't yet know the ceiling height in the dorm, but certainly it's
    at least 7 feet. Again, the key is that I need to use as little
    floor space as possible. Any suggestions?

    P.S. I just realized I've been thinking in terms of a freestanding
    unit. I don't know whether I'd be allowed to mount anything on the
    wall, but I could find out.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Stan Brown

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:

    > I've got about 225 DVD and VHS movies -- not very many, I know, but
    > my collection is growing, maybe 300 within a year. (Still not very
    > many, to most of you, I suppose.) I need some sort of rack to store
    > them on.
    >
    > Here's the constraint: I'm going to be an RA in a dorm, and floor
    > space is very tight. So I want a unit that maximizes the number of
    > DVDs stored per square inch of floor. I want to intermix VHS and DVD
    > alphabetically, though I can't imagine that would be a problem.
    > Ideally all or part of the storage would be covered by opaque doors
    > or similar, where I would have the, er, "special" videos that I
    > didn't necessarily want visible to the casual eye.
    >
    > I don't yet know the ceiling height in the dorm, but certainly it's
    > at least 7 feet. Again, the key is that I need to use as little
    > floor space as possible. Any suggestions?
    >
    > P.S. I just realized I've been thinking in terms of a freestanding
    > unit. I don't know whether I'd be allowed to mount anything on the
    > wall, but I could find out.

    Some of my dvd collection is stored on open (no doors) shelves that I
    bought at Pier One. They are 40 dollars each but you can find them for
    25 on sale. They're called CD/Video shelves (or something like that).
    As you probably know DVDs are as tall as VHS and as wide as CD's so the
    combo shelf works fine. It has three shelves each of which will hold
    about 30 DVDs. And they stack. Two go up about 5 feet with DVDs on them.

    dick
    -- not that that's important to an RA but it is to a wife, like mine.
    Dick Sidbury, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Stan Brown

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > Here's the constraint: I'm going to be an RA in a dorm, and floor
    > space is very tight. So I want a unit that maximizes the number of
    > DVDs stored per square inch of floor. I want to intermix VHS and DVD
    > alphabetically, though I can't imagine that would be a problem.
    > Ideally all or part of the storage would be covered by opaque doors
    > or similar, where I would have the, er, "special" videos that I
    > didn't necessarily want visible to the casual eye.
    >
    > I don't yet know the ceiling height in the dorm, but certainly it's
    > at least 7 feet. Again, the key is that I need to use as little
    > floor space as possible. Any suggestions?

    It sounds like space is going to be a real issue for you. You might
    consider putting all of your discs in binders rather than keeping them
    in their cases.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Stan Brown

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Stan Brown, says...
    > Here's the constraint: I'm going to be an RA in a dorm, and floor
    > space is very tight. So I want a unit that maximizes the number of
    > DVDs stored per square inch of floor.

    Try "bookshelves". Aside from binders, nothing works better in a DVD-to-
    floorspace configuration. Why are you looking for something fancier?
    Besides, bookshelves might come in handy for those things you are
    supposed to be reading in college.
    Mark Spatny, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Stan Brown

    DVDfanatico Guest

    One word: IKEA.

    They sell thin, tall DVD shelving units.

    DVDfanatico, Jun 27, 2004
  6. Stan Brown

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > Stan Brown, says...
    > > Here's the constraint: I'm going to be an RA in a dorm, and floor
    > > space is very tight. So I want a unit that maximizes the number of
    > > DVDs stored per square inch of floor.

    > Try "bookshelves". Aside from binders, nothing works better in a DVD-to-
    > floorspace configuration. Why are you looking for something fancier?
    > Besides, bookshelves might come in handy for those things you are
    > supposed to be reading in college.

    Like...books?
    Jay Stewart, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >"Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    >> Try "bookshelves". Aside from binders, nothing works better in a DVD-to-
    >> floorspace configuration. Why are you looking for something fancier?
    >> Besides, bookshelves might come in handy for those things you are
    >> supposed to be reading in college.

    >Like...books?

    It's amazing to me -- the dorm rooms at this college don't have
    _any_ built-in storage for books. Nada.

    My problem with bookshelves for storing DVDs is that they tend to be
    about 12" deep, but DVDs are less than half that. Also there tend
    not to be enough shelves, since books are taller.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 29, 2004
  8. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Stan Brown wrote:
    >Some of my dvd collection is stored on open (no doors) shelves that I
    >bought at Pier One. They are 40 dollars each but you can find them for
    >25 on sale. They're called CD/Video shelves (or something like that).
    >As you probably know DVDs are as tall as VHS and as wide as CD's so the
    >combo shelf works fine. It has three shelves each of which will hold
    >about 30 DVDs. And they stack. Two go up about 5 feet with DVDs on them.

    I think I've seen those. I'm not at all fond of that wicker look,
    but thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something more
    clean and modern looking -- also something that's not so much a dust
    catcher.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 29, 2004
  9. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:
    >"Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    >It sounds like space is going to be a real issue for you. You might
    >consider putting all of your discs in binders rather than keeping them
    >in their cases.

    You mean those ones with the plastic sleeves? Frankly, that scares
    me. I'm really careful how I handle my DVDs. They always go right
    from case to player and then from player to case. I never rest them
    on a surface, and I'd be afraid of what would happen in those
    sleeves. (I don't even like them for CDs, which seem more robust.)

    Besides, I like how the original cases look. :)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 29, 2004
  10. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Jun 29, 2004
  11. Stan Brown

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:

    > "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >>Stan Brown wrote:
    >>Some of my dvd collection is stored on open (no doors) shelves that I
    >>bought at Pier One. They are 40 dollars each but you can find them for
    >>25 on sale. They're called CD/Video shelves (or something like that).
    >>As you probably know DVDs are as tall as VHS and as wide as CD's so the
    >>combo shelf works fine. It has three shelves each of which will hold
    >>about 30 DVDs. And they stack. Two go up about 5 feet with DVDs on them.

    > I think I've seen those. I'm not at all fond of that wicker look,
    > but thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something more
    > clean and modern looking -- also something that's not so much a dust
    > catcher.

    You haven't seen these. There's no wicker look about them. Mine are
    plane wood stained dark (walnut?), and they fold which makes them easy
    to transport. But they do gather dust. And I can't find them at
    Pier1.com so they probably have been discontinued.

    The other suggestion is standard college student fare: Find some nice
    looking boards of the right width and then make bookshelves with these
    and bricks. still dust gatherer though.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jun 29, 2004
  12. Stan Brown

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: Stan Brown
    Date: Mon, Jun 28, 2004 11:04 PM

    "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >One word: IKEA.
    >
    >They sell thin, tall DVD shelving units.

    Hmm -- this sounds intriguing. The nearest Ikea must be hundreds of
    miles away, but I'll have a look at their Web site and see how much
    shipping costs (assuming it's available).

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    >><BR><BR>

    Office Max had an add this Sunday for the tall, thin (8 inches deep) CD/DVD/VHS
    shelves for $39.95 after a $20 discount. Looked like shallow book case and came
    in two colors.
    FredBillie, Jun 29, 2004
  13. Stan Brown wrote:
    > "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >>"Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Try "bookshelves". Aside from binders, nothing works better in a DVD-to-
    >>>floorspace configuration. Why are you looking for something fancier?
    >>>Besides, bookshelves might come in handy for those things you are
    >>>supposed to be reading in college.

    >>Like...books?

    > It's amazing to me -- the dorm rooms at this college don't have
    > _any_ built-in storage for books. Nada.
    >
    > My problem with bookshelves for storing DVDs is that they tend to be
    > about 12" deep, but DVDs are less than half that. Also there tend
    > not to be enough shelves, since books are taller.

    I found a decent bookshelf for storing DVD's at Target, it was pretty
    cheap and you had to build it, but it actually looks pretty good. I
    used it when I lived on campus and decided to keep it when I moved off
    campus. Although honestly, if I was pressed for space, I would just
    leave the DVD's I don't foresee myself as watching at home.
    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 29, 2004
  14. Stan Brown

    Bakerboy Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >Stan Brown wrote:
    > >Some of my dvd collection is stored on open (no doors) shelves that I
    > >bought at Pier One. They are 40 dollars each but you can find them for
    > >25 on sale. They're called CD/Video shelves (or something like that).
    > >As you probably know DVDs are as tall as VHS and as wide as CD's so the
    > >combo shelf works fine. It has three shelves each of which will hold
    > >about 30 DVDs. And they stack. Two go up about 5 feet with DVDs on

    them.

    > I think I've seen those. I'm not at all fond of that wicker look,
    > but thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something more
    > clean and modern looking -- also something that's not so much a dust
    > catcher.

    Atlantic makes some really nice clean, modern looking storage shelves.
    Search for 'Atlantic' and 'Elf'. I've got the ~240DVD model. Looks great and
    holds all my CDs and DVDs with a minimum of occupied floor space.
    Bakerboy, Jun 29, 2004
  15. Stan Brown

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > Stan Brown wrote:
    >
    > > "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >
    > >>Stan Brown wrote:
    > >>Some of my dvd collection is stored on open (no doors) shelves that I
    > >>bought at Pier One. They are 40 dollars each but you can find them for
    > >>25 on sale. They're called CD/Video shelves (or something like that).
    > >>As you probably know DVDs are as tall as VHS and as wide as CD's so the
    > >>combo shelf works fine. It has three shelves each of which will hold
    > >>about 30 DVDs. And they stack. Two go up about 5 feet with DVDs on

    them.

    > > I think I've seen those. I'm not at all fond of that wicker look,
    > > but thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something more
    > > clean and modern looking -- also something that's not so much a dust
    > > catcher.
    > >

    > You haven't seen these. There's no wicker look about them. Mine are
    > plane wood stained dark (walnut?), and they fold which makes them easy
    > to transport. But they do gather dust. And I can't find them at
    > Pier1.com so they probably have been discontinued.
    >
    > The other suggestion is standard college student fare: Find some nice
    > looking boards of the right width and then make bookshelves with these
    > and bricks. still dust gatherer though.
    >
    > dick

    That's funny. My entire apartment was decorated with a similar brick and
    plywood motif when I was in my late teens...
    Jay Stewart, Jun 30, 2004
  16. Stan Brown

    Goro Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in
    > alt.video.dvd:
    > >"Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > >It sounds like space is going to be a real issue for you. You might
    > >consider putting all of your discs in binders rather than keeping them
    > >in their cases.

    > You mean those ones with the plastic sleeves? Frankly, that scares
    > me. I'm really careful how I handle my DVDs. They always go right
    > from case to player and then from player to case. I never rest them
    > on a surface, and I'd be afraid of what would happen in those
    > sleeves. (I don't even like them for CDs, which seem more robust.)

    Then i'd say DVDSHrink + DVD+R media + binders :)

    seriously. for dvds that i watch often (ZIM, COUPLING, Freaks and
    Geeks, ... ), i burn dvd+rs fo them and keep them in a disc wallet by
    the dvd player. access to them is fast as is browsing and with media
    getting to be quite cheap these days, i'm not too concerened with
    scratching a disc. Also, i author without menus and krap, so i put
    the disc in and... the feature starts to play (imagine that!).

    it's at least a consideration. btw, i agree with putting original
    dvds in sleeves. scares me wrt scratching.

    another thing you MAY consider, esp. if space is such a major
    consideration, is to buy a bunch of jewel cases. Store the amarays in
    a box in thecloset or seomthing (or stack them 2-3 deep on a
    bookshelf) and use the jewel cases to hold the media in a nice CD
    Spinner rack or something.

    And there's also always the "Buy the 300 disc dvd jukebox" solution...

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 1, 2004
  17. Goro wrote:

    > it's at least a consideration. btw, i agree with putting original
    > dvds in sleeves. scares me wrt scratching.

    I would agree as well regarding pure plastic sleeves,
    but you get them with soft cotton lining minimizing
    the scratch risk as longs you keep the discs themselves
    free of flecks of dust or other materials...

    ....I store movies in cases so I can have front and back
    artwork but all my endless tv show collections in these
    kinds of sleeves and place the sheets in 2" or 3" binders.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Jul 1, 2004
  18. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    Thanks to those who responded, even though for one reason or another
    none of the suggestions really worked out.

    I was able to find a piece that seems to meet my needs, and it might
    be of interest to others: the Leslie Dame rotating rack is 18"
    square (so it needs just about 2 feet of wall space) and holds "Any
    Combination of 1040 Compact Discs 240 Video Cassettes Or 425 DVDs"
    according to the vendor's Web page,
    http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/product214.html

    Since I've already got two spinning CD towers, this will fit fairly
    well. It's also rather larger than I need just now, giving my
    collection room to grow.

    For those who might be interested, the weight is 125 pounds and the
    shelves are adjustable, according to the person I spoke to at Home
    Audio Superstore. Shipping is pretty steep ($66 UPS Ground), so I'm
    going to keep looking for other suppliers.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jul 4, 2004
  19. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Bakerboy" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >"Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    >> "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> >Stan Brown wrote:
    >> >Some of my dvd collection is stored on open (no doors) shelves that I
    >> >bought at Pier One. They are 40 dollars each but you can find them for
    >> >25 on sale. They're called CD/Video shelves (or something like that).
    >> >As you probably know DVDs are as tall as VHS and as wide as CD's so the
    >> >combo shelf works fine. It has three shelves each of which will hold
    >> >about 30 DVDs. And they stack. Two go up about 5 feet with DVDs on

    >them.
    >>
    >> I think I've seen those. I'm not at all fond of that wicker look,
    >> but thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something more
    >> clean and modern looking -- also something that's not so much a dust
    >> catcher.
    >>

    >Atlantic makes some really nice clean, modern looking storage shelves.
    >Search for 'Atlantic' and 'Elf'. I've got the ~240DVD model. Looks great and
    >holds all my CDs and DVDs with a minimum of occupied floor space.

    I'm guessing you mean this one:
    > http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=AL0093&refid=FR1-AL0093

    Thanks for the suggestion. It's a matter of personal taste, but I'm
    not at all wild about that look. I'm a techie at heart, but I like
    wood better than all-metal construction.

    Still I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jul 4, 2004