    OS: WinXpPro SP3 Build 2600

    Is there any way to stop Windows from clearing my RUN command lines
    from clearing when I reboot? TIA

    Donchano, Jan 13, 2010

  2. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:12:40 -0600, "impossible"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >"Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> OS: WinXpPro SP3 Build 2600
    >>
    >> Is there any way to stop Windows from clearing my RUN command lines
    >> from clearing when I reboot? TIA

    >By default, Windows does **not** clear the RUN history. So you must have
    >done something to alter the default. TweakUI -- a free download utility --
    >is a popular tool you might have used. Also PowerShell. But there are
    >others. Whatever it is, undo what you did.

    Thanks for replying. Actually, I didn't do a thing. One day my command
    lines were still there in Run after I rebooted and the next day they
    weren't.

    Per your advice I've downloaded and installed TweakUI v2.10.0.0 for
    Windows XP. And a Google search for instructions turned up a
    suggestion that I "uncheck the option Clear document history on exit
    in the Explorer section."

    That option was already unchecked, but I saved the settings anyway ...
    rebooted and BINGO! The ipconfig .flushdns command was still there.

    Now I'm going to try and figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's and
    flashdrives from autoloading or opening a dialog window with multiple
    options. Cheers.

    Donchano, Jan 16, 2010

  3. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:12:40 -0600, "impossible"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >>> OS: WinXpPro SP3 Build 2600
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to stop Windows from clearing my RUN command lines
    >>> from clearing when I reboot? TIA

    >> By default, Windows does **not** clear the RUN history. So you must have
    >> done something to alter the default. TweakUI -- a free download utility --
    >> is a popular tool you might have used. Also PowerShell. But there are
    >> others. Whatever it is, undo what you did.

    > Thanks for replying. Actually, I didn't do a thing. One day my command
    > lines were still there in Run after I rebooted and the next day they
    > weren't.
    >
    > Per your advice I've downloaded and installed TweakUI v2.10.0.0 for
    > Windows XP. And a Google search for instructions turned up a
    > suggestion that I "uncheck the option Clear document history on exit
    > in the Explorer section."
    >
    > That option was already unchecked, but I saved the settings anyway ...
    > rebooted and BINGO! The ipconfig .flushdns command was still there.
    >
    > Now I'm going to try and figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's and
    > flashdrives from autoloading or opening a dialog window with multiple
    > options. Cheers.

    There's a tool for that called "TweakUI". Hehehe!

    I don't think that there is one to stop your editor from creating
    superfluous apostrophes, as in "...figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's"
    above. :cool:

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 16, 2010
  4. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:54:53 +1300, Enkidu <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:12:40 -0600, "impossible"
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    >>> By default, Windows does **not** clear the RUN history. So you must have
    >>> done something to alter the default. TweakUI -- a free download utility --
    >>> is a popular tool you might have used. Also PowerShell. But there are
    >>> others. Whatever it is, undo what you did.

    >> Thanks for replying. Actually, I didn't do a thing. One day my command
    >> lines were still there in Run after I rebooted and the next day they
    >> weren't.
    >>
    >> Per your advice I've downloaded and installed TweakUI v2.10.0.0 for
    >> Windows XP. And a Google search for instructions turned up a
    >> suggestion that I "uncheck the option Clear document history on exit
    >> in the Explorer section."
    >>
    >> That option was already unchecked, but I saved the settings anyway ...
    >> rebooted and BINGO! The ipconfig .flushdns command was still there.
    >>
    >> Now I'm going to try and figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's and
    >> flashdrives from autoloading or opening a dialog window with multiple
    >> options. Cheers.
    > >

    >There's a tool for that called "TweakUI". Hehehe!
    >
    >I don't think that there is one to stop your editor from creating
    >superfluous apostrophes, as in "...figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's"
    >above. :cool:
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Speaking of which, how do *you* write CD's and DVD's? ;-)

    Donchano, Jan 16, 2010
  5. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > Per your advice I've downloaded and installed TweakUI v2.10.0.0 for
    > Windows XP. And a Google search for instructions turned up a
    > suggestion that I "uncheck the option Clear document history on exit
    > in the Explorer section."
    >
    > That option was already unchecked, but I saved the settings anyway ...
    > rebooted and BINGO! The ipconfig .flushdns command was still there.

    So what did TweakUI do, if it didn’t change a setting that was already
    correct?

    All the Dimdows experts in the world put together cannot explain that to
    you.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 16, 2010
  6. Donchano

    Enkidu Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:54:53 +1300, Enkidu <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:12:40 -0600, "impossible"
    >>> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Thanks for replying. Actually, I didn't do a thing. One day my command
    >>> lines were still there in Run after I rebooted and the next day they
    >>> weren't.
    >>>
    >>> Per your advice I've downloaded and installed TweakUI v2.10.0.0 for
    >>> Windows XP. And a Google search for instructions turned up a
    >>> suggestion that I "uncheck the option Clear document history on exit
    >>> in the Explorer section."
    >>>
    >>> That option was already unchecked, but I saved the settings anyway ...
    >>> rebooted and BINGO! The ipconfig .flushdns command was still there.
    >>>
    >>> Now I'm going to try and figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's and
    >>> flashdrives from autoloading or opening a dialog window with multiple
    >>> options. Cheers.
    >>>

    >> There's a tool for that called "TweakUI". Hehehe!
    >>
    >> I don't think that there is one to stop your editor from creating
    >> superfluous apostrophes, as in "...figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's"
    >> above. :cool:

    > Speaking of which, how do *you* write CD's and DVD's? ;-)

    I keep all my CDs tidy and keep the DVDs in a rack.

    I believe the way that you did it is wrong *now* but it may become
    acceptable usage in the future. Who knows?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 16, 2010
  7. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:26:21 +1300, Enkidu <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:54:53 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> There's a tool for that called "TweakUI". Hehehe!
    >>>
    >>> I don't think that there is one to stop your editor from creating
    >>> superfluous apostrophes, as in "...figure out how to stop CD's, DVD's"
    >>> above. :cool:

    >> Speaking of which, how do *you* write CD's and DVD's? ;-)
    > >

    >I keep all my CDs tidy and keep the DVDs in a rack.
    >
    >I believe the way that you did it is wrong *now* but it may become
    >acceptable usage in the future. Who knows?

    I also use CDs and DVDs on occasion. But the use of CD's and DVD's is
    already de rigueur and another example of how English usage is being
    eroded and debased by the "Text Generation."

    Donchano, Jan 16, 2010
  8. Donchano

    victor Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:26:21 +1300, Enkidu <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:54:53 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >>> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Speaking of which, how do *you* write CD's and DVD's? ;-)
    >>>

    >> I keep all my CDs tidy and keep the DVDs in a rack.
    >>
    >> I believe the way that you did it is wrong *now* but it may become
    >> acceptable usage in the future. Who knows?

    > I also use CDs and DVDs on occasion. But the use of CD's and DVD's is
    > already de rigueur and another example of how English usage is being
    > eroded and debased by the "Text Generation."

    More by the omission of apostrophes. I doubt whether careless use of the
    possessive form will become "de rigueur" ie. required by convention or
    fashion

    victor, Jan 16, 2010
  9. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 12:13:10 +1300, victor <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:26:21 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> I keep all my CDs tidy and keep the DVDs in a rack.
    >>>
    >>> I believe the way that you did it is wrong *now* but it may become
    >>> acceptable usage in the future. Who knows?

    >> I also use CDs and DVDs on occasion. But the use of CD's and DVD's is
    >> already de rigueur and another example of how English usage is being
    >> eroded and debased by the "Text Generation."
    >>

    >More by the omission of apostrophes. I doubt whether careless use of the
    >possessive form will become "de rigueur" ie. required by convention or
    >fashion

    In my opinion, the omission of apostrophes has become epidemic. It's
    as if our children and grandchildren have unlearned what they knew
    previously. Though I'm always pleased to receive them, even their
    emails read like a text message, with no upper case, no punctuation
    and abbreviated words. And their text messages read like a
    personalised number plate.

    However, all you have to do is look through today's newspaper,
    magazine and online articles, not to mention advertising copy, to see
    that the use of an apostrophe to denote the plural of CD, DVD, HDD,
    TV, etc., has gone beyond acceptable and popular, and is generally
    considered to be the correct way to denote the plural. Whether the
    custom has reached the point of being "de rigueur" is arguable. But if
    it isn't de rigueur yet, I think it's certainly headed that way.

    Donchano, Jan 17, 2010
  10. Donchano

    John Little Guest

    > I also use CDs and DVDs on occasion. But the use of CD's and DVD's is
    > already de rigueur and another example of how English usage is being
    > eroded and debased by the "Text Generation."

    I disagree, "CDs" (which I prefer) is more recent than "CD's". That
    usage was standard once, "CDs" was the product of erosion by some
    previous generation.

    Regards, obviously at a loose end John

    John Little, Jan 17, 2010