stopping WCZ in command line

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?amlqaW5tYWNoaW5h?=, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.

    I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available in
    a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.

    My situation is as follows:

    I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15 min.
    I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
    everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service. This
    is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.

    As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
    need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while logged
    in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.

    how can I go about this?

    You help is appreciated, thanks.

    p.s. - do not just say "Use the software from the manufacturer". I do not
    want to use it as windows SP2 touts having great flexability when dealing
    with networks/NICs of all types (which is true).

    =?Utf-8?B?amlqaW5tYWNoaW5h?=, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Double click on your wireless connection in the system tray, click on
    properties, click on the wireless networks tab and uncheck the box that says
    Use Windows to configure My Network. That is the only way I know of.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 31, 2005

  3. IMHO you shouldn't give up on WZC. Try and configure is so it won't disconnect.
    Enable it's debug log to understand why it decides to disconnect.

    Open a command window and type:
    netsh ras set trace * enable

    This will create several logs in %windir%\tracing :
    wzctrace.log
    wzcdlg.log
    eapol.log

    Good luck,
    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Jan 31, 2005
  4. The symptoms you describe are inline with a common problem in the home
    scenario setup. Navigate to your "Network Connections" folder by typing
    "ncpa.cpl" at the command line. Right-click->Properties over your wireless
    icon, click on the Wireless Networks tab, highlight the network you connect
    to, click the Properties button, select the Authentication tab and ensure
    that the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" check is
    UNCHECKED.

    Peter Bui[MS], Feb 2, 2005
  5. Explained here:

    http://tinyurl.com/3lmfp

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Feb 2, 2005
  6. "jijinmachina" <> wrote in message
    >I know how to use batch files and "net stop" etc.
    >
    > I just need to know if "net stop" has a switch in command line (available
    > in
    > a batch file) that will allow it to be run under a user level account.
    >
    > My situation is as follows:
    >
    > I have a WiFi 802.11g card (linksys) and it keeps dropping every 10-15
    > min.
    > I know what the problem is, WCZ enabled looking for a good network. So
    > everytime I boot my computer I have to go in and stop the WCZ service.
    > This
    > is far from convienient, esp if I am not here to turn it off.
    >
    > As I am the only one in the house that knows anything about computers, I
    > need a batch file/script/anything that will allow me to stop WCZ while
    > logged
    > in under a user account, _AFTER_ it has connectted to the WiFi net.
    >
    > how can I go about this?

    set up a task to run a batch file on system start using the credentials of
    a privileged account. You might also want it to quit if it is still
    running after 5 or so minutes because it's obviously in an endless loop as
    the network has not been found (see retest).

    As follows:

    @ECHO OFF
    SETLOCAL
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%
    CD %WINDIR\SYSTEM32%

    :test
    for /F "tokens=3" %%i in ('"route print | find "Default Gateway:""') do SET
    GATEWAY=%%i
    ping %GATEWAY% | find "Reply from" > nul
    if %errorlevel%==0 goto :up

    :retest
    for /F "tokens=3" %%i in ('"route print | find "Default Gateway:""') do SET
    GATEWAY=%%i
    ping %GATEWAY% | find "Reply from" > nul
    if %errorlevel%==1 goto :retest

    :up
    NET STOP WZCSVC

    Robb Topolski, Feb 7, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?amlqaW5tYWNoaW5h?=

    moodi Guest

    I am in a similar situation where I have two batch files which
    restart/stop the wzc service.

    However, I have a problem. Imagine this scenario:

    I have two PCs, LAN1 and LAN2. I switch them both on, they boot up, WZC
    finds the network, connects. I stop the WZC service on both machines,
    everything runs well so far.

    If I reboot LAN1, or repair its connection, or restart WZC on it, then
    LAN2 becomes inaccessible. If I physically go to LAN2, it shows itself
    as connected. It still has the same IP. However, it cannot access the
    internet or the network drives.

    I have to restart WZC and reconnect LAN2 to get it working again.
    Also, before I do this, I must make sure LAN1 has WZC started, because
    the problem happens in both direction (i.e. vice-versa).

    I really don't understand why this is happening.

    The reason I'm in this position is because the software that came with
    my adaptors is rubbish, and WZC (XP Pro) checks for an AP every 60
    seconds. This means games/streaming are out of the question.

    Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.

    moodi

    --
    moodi

    moodi, Sep 21, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?amlqaW5tYWNoaW5h?=

    moodi Guest

    moodi wrote:
    > *I am in a similar situation where I have two batch files which
    > restart/stop the wzc service.
    >
    > However, I have a problem. Imagine this scenario:
    >
    > I have two PCs, LAN1 and LAN2. I switch them both on, they boot up,
    > WZC finds the network, connects. I stop the WZC service on both
    > machines, everything runs well so far.
    >
    > If I reboot LAN1, or repair its connection, or restart WZC on it,
    > then LAN2 becomes inaccessible. If I physically go to LAN2, it shows
    > itself as connected. It still has the same IP. However, it cannot
    > access the internet or the network drives.
    >
    > I have to restart WZC and reconnect LAN2 to get it working again.
    > Also, before I do this, I must make sure LAN1 has WZC started,
    > because the problem happens in both direction (i.e. vice-versa).
    >
    > I really don't understand why this is happening.
    >
    > The reason I'm in this position is because the software that came
    > with my adaptors is rubbish, and WZC (XP Pro) checks for an AP every
    > 60 seconds. This means games/streaming are out of the question.
    >
    > Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > moodi *

    I fixed the problem. I swapped the Linksys WUSB54G adaptors for Belkin
    F5D7050uk.
    They work with WZC perfectly. If only everyone wrote back to forums
    about how they solved their problems eh?
    Cool, bye.

    --
    moodi

    moodi, Sep 21, 2005