  1. Captain

    Captain Guest

    What is the command to stop a traceroute on cisco router?

    Captain, May 6, 2004

  2. Captain

    Rainer Temme Guest

    "Captain" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What is the command to stop a traceroute on cisco router?

    Hi Captain,

    to stop the traceroute you've to type in the "escape-character" ...
    if you do a "show terminal" you'll find the actual setting of it
    anyhow, I've never been able to (successfully) type in the
    escape-character that is set by default.
    I usually change is with " terminal escape-character 3" to Control-C.
    Regards ... Rainer

    Rainer Temme, May 6, 2004

  3. Hi,

    default is
    Crtl + Shift + 6 then x

    Regards

    Carsten Remien

    Remien, Carsten, May 6, 2004
  4. Captain

    AnyBody43 Guest

    "Remien, Carsten" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > default is
    > Crtl + Shift + 6 then x
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Carsten Remien

    I agree and it does work sometimes at least.

    I am still not fully clear on all of this however:

    To clarify (I think) the default escape character
    is [Control]^ then x.

    To get that (for the un initiated) you press and hold the [Ctrl] and
    [Shitft] keys and press and release the '^' key (in the UK the
    6 above "T"). You may then release the [Ctrl] and [Shitft] keys
    at your leisure and press 'x'.

    Is the 'x' case sensitive?

    e.g. on (C837-K9O3SY6-M), Version 12.2(13)ZH2
    using Putty (VERY, very fine free telnet/ssh client) with default
    settings. I can stop a trace with just [Ctrl][Shitf]^.

    router#trace doc.ic.ac.uk

    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Tracing the route to doc.ic.ac.uk (146.169.1.24)

    1 xxxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxx) 180 msec 16 msec 16 msec
    2 217.32.70.130 12 msec 8 msec 16 msec
    3 217.32.70.238 20 msec 20 msec 20 msec
    4 g2-3.lon-gs1dsl.mistral.net (217.154.184.65) 16 msec 20 msec 24 msec
    5 g5-0.lon-th2rt.mistral.net (217.154.71.16) 16 msec 12 msec 20 msec
    6 217.154.71.4 20 msec
    router#

    AnyBody43, May 7, 2004
  5. Captain

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, anybody43
    @hotmail.com says...
    > I agree and it does work sometimes at least.
    >
    > I am still not fully clear on all of this however:
    >
    > To clarify (I think) the default escape character
    > is [Control]^ then x.

    No. The escape character is JUST CTRL-SHIFT-6. The "X" is used to
    bring you back to the EXEC session.

    AS an example
    TrmSvr#trace 24.29.99.17
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Tracing the route to 24.29.99.17

    1 * *

    I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
    kill the session.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, May 8, 2004
  6. Captain

    Captain Guest

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 21:43:43 GMT, Hansang Bae <> wrote:

    >In article <>, anybody43
    >@hotmail.com says...
    >> I agree and it does work sometimes at least.
    >>
    >> I am still not fully clear on all of this however:
    >>
    >> To clarify (I think) the default escape character
    >> is [Control]^ then x.

    >No. The escape character is JUST CTRL-SHIFT-6. The "X" is used to
    >bring you back to the EXEC session.
    >

    >AS an example
    >TrmSvr#trace 24.29.99.17
    >Type escape sequence to abort.
    >Tracing the route to 24.29.99.17
    >
    > 1 * *
    >
    >I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
    >kill the session.

    You only have to hit the 6 once, TraceRoute will stop after
    the current line ends.

    Thanks all!!

    Captain, May 8, 2004
  7. Captain

    Hansang Bae Guest

    > >I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
    > >kill the session.

    In article <>, captain99_1999
    @yahoo.com says...
    > You only have to hit the 6 once, TraceRoute will stop after
    > the current line ends.

    For the same reason why I hit a lit elevator button, I hit 6 a multiple
    times! <G>

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, May 9, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    Hansang Bae <> wrote:
    >> >I hit CTRL-SHIFT-6 (hold ctrl and shift down and repeatedly hit 6) to
    >> >kill the session.

    >In article <>, captain99_1999
    >@yahoo.com says...
    >> You only have to hit the 6 once, TraceRoute will stop after
    >> the current line ends.

    >For the same reason why I hit a lit elevator button, I hit 6 a multiple
    >times! <G>
    >
    >hsb

    One defect I've noticed on at least some command/IOS release/HW
    platform combinations, is that the <ctl-shift-6> break ONLY works if it
    is the FIRST character typed. If you happen to hit any other keys/key
    combinations, there is no way to break in. I've never bothered to
    report it or check to see if it is already in Cisco's bug tracking
    system. Some commands also require the two keystroke combination
    <ctrl-shift-6> followed by <shift-X>. Type ahead (typing another command
    while the previous command is still executing) is another feature which
    works inconsistently, but I suspect that is more a function of Telnet
    than of the IOS.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, May 9, 2004
  9. Captain

    Kevin Widner Guest

    "Remien, Carsten" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > default is
    > Crtl + Shift + 6 then x
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Carsten Remien

    I agree with this, but in a related question. If you connect to a
    device console through a terminal server session. How do you execute
    the break sequence without the terminal server dropping you out of
    your session. (using a Cisco 2600 router with a 32 port async card)
    That break sequence leaves the traceroute going and your console
    session logged in, but suspends your connection to the device and
    returns you to the exec of the terminal server.

    I end up having to watch the traceroute complete, which is painful.

    Any ideas, anyone?
    Kevin

    Kevin Widner, May 11, 2004