Stopping Programs From Rotating Cores on Multi-Core System

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ronis, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Ronis

    Ronis Guest

    I have XP Pro x64 on an Intel quad core processor. When I am playing multiple
    simultaneous instances of Everquest, I notice on the Task Manager that the
    different Everquest sessions are being rotated (seemingly randomly) between
    different cores, and occasionally, they ALL end up on the SAME core,
    resulting in everything freezing. My computer can easily handle 3-4
    Everquest sessions on a single core, just not 6-7.

    Ive tried to manually set each instance's affinity via the task manager but
    its not allowed - and I dont know why. Im using Wineq2 and have the innate
    Everquest affinity setting to off. No combination of Affinity Settings
    within both Everquest and WinEQ2 solve this problem.

    Im told by tech support its an XP issue not Everquest or WinEQ2. So my
    question is, how do I STOP the OS from rotating my multiple instances of the
    same game around and force them onto discrete non-changing cores?

    Also, is there a way to bypass the NOT ALLOWED problem in the task manager
    and Force then Everquest instances to evenly distribute amongst the 4 cores?
    Any and all help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

    Ron

    Ronis, Mar 2, 2008

  2. My humble guess, since 'affinity' primarily is a parameter that the
    developer is determining - if and when an 'app' is coded for multi-CPU
    awareness, that there isn't very much you can do. Except talk to the
    developers.

    Binary execution on Windows rely on the 'Windows Scheduler', as far as I
    know, and it is responsible for keeping a healthy environment for the OS,
    but it is also protecting the instruction caches in a way that instructions
    already loaded shouldn't have to be moved away.

    It is not unthinkable that you'll find the OS responsible for building
    obstacles for your useage? On the other hand, if the application was written
    to handle the multiple instances on multiple cores, there wouldn't be any
    problem at all.

    Google for 'Windows Scheduler', that should serve you up with some decent
    info on the matter.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 2, 2008

  3. Ronis

    Ronis Guest

    Tony,

    "On the other hand, if the application was written to handle
    the multiple instances on multiple cores, there wouldn't be
    any problem at all."

    This is exactly the problem, they are supposed to be automatically set to
    and remain on a different core by Everquest-and it didnt work. WinEQ2 also
    does the same, and it too didnt work. Further, Disabling either or both also
    doesnt work, the programs cycle and cycle and cycle until they are all cycled
    to the same core and Freeze.

    I searched and found Windows Scheduler and after reviewing the site,
    unfortunately I could not see how it applies to my situation.

    Ron

    Ronis, Mar 2, 2008
  4. Ronis

    John Barnes Guest

    If you can turn off the feature in the program, maybe you will be able to
    assign affinity in Task Manager.

    John Barnes, Mar 2, 2008