    there a way to configure Firefox to avoid these floating ads?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, May 31, 2006

  2. Alfred Molon

    gwtc Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I'm using Firefox and while there are no unwanted popups, there are
    > these floating ads, sometimes with a video, which move around the window
    > and only go away after a while or when you click on the Close button. Is
    > there a way to configure Firefox to avoid these floating ads?

    disable javascript

    --
    Interesting Modern Philosophies: Experience is something you don't get
    until just after you need it.

    gwtc, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Alfred Molon

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I'm using Firefox and while there are no unwanted popups, there are
    > these floating ads, sometimes with a video, which move around the window
    > and only go away after a while or when you click on the Close button. Is
    > there a way to configure Firefox to avoid these floating ads?

    You have two options, the easy one is

    turn off your javascript

    the more advanced one

    install a proxy that has filtering, like privoxy

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Alfred Molon

    Canopus Guest

    Alfred Molon on 31/05/2006 wrote:

    >I'm using Firefox and while there are no unwanted popups, there are
    >these floating ads, sometimes with a video, which move around the window
    >and only go away after a while or when you click on the Close button. Is
    >there a way to configure Firefox to avoid these floating ads?

    Ever since these ads started to appear I swore never to use the services
    they advertise. Perhaps in the end only a highly visible campaign to
    boycott all services and goods advertised by these sort of ads will
    succeed in making people think twice in employing them.

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/

    Canopus, Jun 1, 2006
  5. On 2006-06-01, Canopus <> wrote:
    > Alfred Molon on 31/05/2006 wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using Firefox and while there are no unwanted popups, there are
    >>these floating ads, sometimes with a video, which move around the window
    >>and only go away after a while or when you click on the Close button. Is
    >>there a way to configure Firefox to avoid these floating ads?

    > Ever since these ads started to appear I swore never to use the services
    > they advertise. Perhaps in the end only a highly visible campaign to
    > boycott all services and goods advertised by these sort of ads will
    > succeed in making people think twice in employing them.

    Even worst, the TV shows are now having "pop ups" where the pop-ups also
    hide what one wants to see, e.g. the current score of a game or like
    the "Discovery" channel that has animation that would hide an area
    on the screen that the narrator is pointing to as what was "important".

    plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu, Jun 1, 2006
  6. Alfred Molon

    Canopus Guest

    plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu on 01/06/2006 wrote:

    >>Ever since these ads started to appear I swore never to use the services
    >>they advertise. Perhaps in the end only a highly visible campaign to
    >>boycott all services and goods advertised by these sort of ads will
    >>succeed in making people think twice in employing them.
    >>

    >Even worst, the TV shows are now having "pop ups" where the pop-ups also
    >hide what one wants to see, e.g. the current score of a game or like
    >the "Discovery" channel that has animation that would hide an area
    >on the screen that the narrator is pointing to as what was "important".

    Thank God that isn't happening in the UK yet. When it does I think I'll
    throw the TV out of the window and revert back to radio. Come to think of
    it I virtually have anyway due to the choice of hundreds of channels with
    only rubbish or repeats on them :)

    Canopus, Jun 1, 2006
  7. Alfred Molon

    Dan Guest

    Canopus wrote:

    > Thank God that isn't happening in the UK yet. When it does I think I'll
    > throw the TV out of the window and revert back to radio. Come to think
    > of it I virtually have anyway due to the choice of hundreds of channels
    > with only rubbish or repeats on them :)

    Most often repeats of RUBBISH!

    Dan, Jun 1, 2006
  8. Alfred Molon

    Canopus Guest

    Canopus on 01/06/2006 wrote:

    >Alfred Molon on 31/05/2006 wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using Firefox and while there are no unwanted popups, there are
    >>these floating ads, sometimes with a video, which move around the window
    >>and only go away after a while or when you click on the Close button. Is
    >>there a way to configure Firefox to avoid these floating ads?

    >Ever since these ads started to appear I swore never to use the services
    >they advertise. Perhaps in the end only a highly visible campaign to
    >boycott all services and goods advertised by these sort of ads will
    >succeed in making people think twice in employing them.

    I just got a really bad one on the BBC Radio Times web site when I went to
    see the synopsis of a program, it lasted for over ten minutes. I'm sure
    web sites would not approve of an advert making their site unusable. I
    sent the following to bbc.co.uk

    "Dear Sir,

    "I'm writing hopefully to bring to your attention an increasingly
    frustrating problem with pop up Flash adverts on your site. For example I
    just clicked on a program link to see its synopsis and no sooner did I
    start reading it than a pop up Flash advert came up advertising:

    "Now Showing
    "RS4 Anatomy of Fear

    "Three or four minutes later it is still there and obscuring part of the
    text. These adverts are allowed to be fed by your Radio Times site, they
    are not pulled in by spyware on my system. Please be one of the first
    sites to stop allowing them as it drives people away to more usable sites
    and many people have started boycotting products advertised by them (when
    they advertise products) as a protest against these invasive techniques.

    "(10 minutes later it still obscures the text with no x to turn it off)

    "Regards,

    "Rob T-P

    "PS. Just after I sent this to my outbox the Flash ad disappeared only to
    come back 30 seconds later and now totally obscuring text, then it
    initiated an audio advert about something showing on some channel. Please
    take action against these things."

    Don't just sit by and get frustrated when it happens to you, vent your
    frustration by mailing the webmaster and complain in a friendly tone
    explaining the practice is bad for their business.

    Canopus, Jun 1, 2006
  9. Alfred Molon

    Hawkeye Guest

    >> Is there a way to configure Firefox to avoid these floating ads?
    >
    >You have two options, the easy one is
    >
    > turn off your javascript
    >
    >the more advanced one
    >
    > install a proxy that has filtering, like privoxy

    I use Privoxy, and while it does almost everything I want it to do,
    these "floating ads" do still get through. If anyone has an action to
    disable these ads without crippling javascript, please post it.

    Hawkeye, Jun 2, 2006