    I'd like to stop at the end of the existing spreadsheet without
    creating an extra 5000 rows, then undershooting and overshooting a few
    times.

    Matty F, Mar 5, 2010

  2. In message <b1c7993b-9169-4060-
    >, Matty F wrote:

    > When replicating Excel formulas in large spreadsheets ...

    If you’re doing anything that large, you probably shouldn’t be using a
    spreadsheet.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2010

  3. Matty F

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <b1c7993b-9169-4060-
    > >, Matty F wrote:
    >
    >> When replicating Excel formulas in large spreadsheets ...

    > If you’re doing anything that large, you probably shouldn’t be using
    > a spreadsheet.

    Another inanity from Lawrence. Whether or not you use a spreadsheet or a
    database depends more on the use you want to put it to, not the size.

    Spreadsheets are good if you want to do lots of ad hoc searches and
    filtering. Databases are more suited to a standard set of searches and
    filters that can be programmed.

    It's the standard knee-jerk reaction if you have lots of data to put it
    into a database, but if the data is more suited to a spreadsheet you
    will find yourself writing stuff to emulate a spreadsheets abilities and
    that is a waste of everyones' time and effort.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Mar 6, 2010
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 6, 2:38 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In message <b1c7993b-9169-4060-
    > > >, Matty F wrote:

    > >> When replicating Excel formulas in large spreadsheets ...

    > > If you’re doing anything that large, you probably shouldn’t be using
    > > a spreadsheet.

    > Another inanity from Lawrence. Whether or not you use a spreadsheet or a
    > database depends more on the use you want to put it to, not the size.
    >
    > Spreadsheets are good if you want to do lots of ad hoc searches and
    > filtering. Databases are more suited to a standard set of searches and
    > filters that can be programmed.
    >
    > It's the standard knee-jerk reaction if you have lots of data to put it
    > into a database, but if the data is more suited to a spreadsheet you
    > will find yourself writing stuff to emulate a spreadsheets abilities and
    > that is a waste of everyones' time and effort.

    I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
    mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run tests
    to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot and
    analyse.

    Matty F, Mar 6, 2010
  5. In message <>,
    Matty F wrote:

    > I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
    > mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run tests
    > to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot and
    > analyse.

    Sounds like you need a maths or statistics package. Have you looked at R or
    Sage?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 6, 2010
  6. Matty F

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message
    > <>,
    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    >> I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
    >> mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run
    >> tests to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot
    >> and analyse.

    > Sounds like you need a maths or statistics package. Have you looked
    > at R or Sage?

    No, it sounds like he has a set of data from many heterogeneous sources.
    A stats package will not sort the gaps and overlaps.

    Enkidu, Mar 6, 2010
  7. In message <hmtfcb$b2q$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Have you looked at R or Sage?

    R <http://www.r-project.org/>
    Sage <http://sagemath.org/>

    There’s also NumPy and SciPy, but I think they’re rolled into Sage.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 7, 2010
  8. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Mar 7, 12:42 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In message
    > > <>,
    > > Matty F wrote:

    > >> I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
    > >> mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run
    > >> tests to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot
    > >> and analyse.

    > > Sounds like you need a maths or statistics package. Have you looked
    > > at R or Sage?

    > No, it sounds like he has a set of data from many heterogeneous sources.
    > A stats package will not sort the gaps and overlaps.

    Excel is doing fine except that I'd like it to slow down as it
    approaches the end of the spreadsheet. Surely a simple task for the
    programmers of it.

    Matty F, Mar 17, 2010