Stop Using IE - Switch to Firefox or Opera NOW!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Au79

    malc Guest

    "Au79" <> wrote in message
    news:As%Pg.163931$...
    > Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    > VNUNet.com - UK
    >
    > Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability in Microsoft's
    > Internet Explorer that is actively being exploited.

    Do please explain in your own words - I get bored of people just posting
    links to sites. Unless you fully understand it then don't post. All
    programs have problems, it's just that the ones concerning similar issues
    with Firefox and Opera are not as widely advertised. Have a Google.

    malc, Sep 20, 2006

  3. malc wrote:

    > "Au79" <> wrote:
    >> Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    >> VNUNet.com - UK
    >>
    >> Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability in
    >> Microsoft's Internet Explorer that is actively being exploited.
    >>

    > Do please explain in your own words - I get bored of people just
    > posting links to sites. Unless you fully understand it then don't
    > post. All programs have problems, it's just that the ones concerning
    > similar issues with Firefox and Opera are not as widely advertised.
    > Have a Google.

    Latest Secunia count, as of yesterday, for unpatched exploits:
    Internet Explorer: 19 <-- some from 2003
    Firefox: 3
    Opera: 0

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Au79

    Guest

    "malc" <> wrote:

    >"Au79" <> wrote in message
    >> Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    >> VNUNet.com - UK
    >>
    >> Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability in Microsoft's
    >> Internet Explorer that is actively being exploited.

    >Do please explain in your own words - I get bored of people just posting
    >links to sites. Unless you fully understand it then don't post. All
    >programs have problems, it's just that the ones concerning similar issues
    >with Firefox and Opera are not as widely advertised. Have a Google.

    Russian sites using new IE bug to install spyware
    http://digg.com/tech_news/Russian_sites_using_new_IE_bug_to_install_spyware
    Switch to Firefox or Opera ...

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5qqXOFWPGKA

    , Sep 20, 2006
  5. Au79

    thanatoid Guest

    "malc" <> wrote in

    > "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >> Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    >> VNUNet.com - UK
    >>
    >> Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability
    >> in Microsoft's Internet Explorer that is actively being
    >> exploited.
    >>

    > Do please explain in your own words - I get bored of people
    > just posting links to sites. Unless you fully understand
    > it then don't post. All programs have problems, it's just
    > that the ones concerning similar issues with Firefox and
    > Opera are not as widely advertised. Have a Google.

    You are so ignorant (look it up - I am NOT saying you are rude
    or offensive, I am saying you lack information) that it's not
    funny. Instead of posting idiotic replies, you should pay
    attention to Au79's posts.

    Aside from the fact it is technically illegal to paste copyright
    material into your own posts or web sites, what is so hard about
    clicking on a link which takes you right there? Everyone knows
    about the current level of literacy among Americans (you being a
    good example) and everything is written so that a 10 year old
    can understand it. You DID make it through primary school,
    right?

    thanatoid, Sep 20, 2006
  6. thanatoid wrote:

    > Everyone knows about the current level of literacy among Americans

    Tread lightly there, thanatoid! Some of us *can* read, and understand it
    as well. <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  7. Au79

    richard Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "malc" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >>> Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    >>> VNUNet.com - UK
    >>>
    >>> Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability
    >>> in Microsoft's Internet Explorer that is actively being
    >>> exploited.
    >>>

    >> Do please explain in your own words - I get bored of people
    >> just posting links to sites. Unless you fully understand
    >> it then don't post. All programs have problems, it's just
    >> that the ones concerning similar issues with Firefox and
    >> Opera are not as widely advertised. Have a Google.

    > You are so ignorant (look it up - I am NOT saying you are rude
    > or offensive, I am saying you lack information) that it's not
    > funny. Instead of posting idiotic replies, you should pay
    > attention to Au79's posts.
    >
    > Aside from the fact it is technically illegal to paste copyright
    > material into your own posts or web sites, what is so hard about
    > clicking on a link which takes you right there? Everyone knows
    > about the current level of literacy among Americans (you being a
    > good example) and everything is written so that a 10 year old
    > can understand it. You DID make it through primary school,
    > right?

    He was only pointing out that IE is more prone to attacks, well, because
    it's so buggy to begin with.
    Since a vast majority of people use it, it's safe to bet that they will be
    effected by the attacks eventually.
    I switched to FF not for the security attacks, but simply because FF renders
    websites more correctly.
    Including various things that IE doesn't even to consider.

    richard, Sep 20, 2006
  8. Au79

    Rectum Burn Guest

    Au79 <> said in news:As%Pg.163931$:

    > Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    > VNUNet.com - UK
    >
    > Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability in
    > Microsoft's Internet Explorer that is actively being exploited.
    >
    > <http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2164579/attackers-hit-ie-vulnerabili
    > ty>

    The sky is faling! The sky is falling!

    Hahaha

    Rectum Burrrrrrrrrrn

    Rectum Burn, Sep 20, 2006
  9. Au79

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Au79 wrote:
    > Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    > VNUNet.com - UK
    >
    > Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability in Microsoft's
    > Internet Explorer that is actively being exploited.
    >
    > <http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2164579/attackers-hit-ie-vulnerability>

    ....or just upgrade to IE7 beta if you have Windows XP SP2. It has
    plugged just about all the security holes--well, enough to take it down
    to the level of security holes Firefox or Opera has. So IE7 should be no
    more or less secure than Firefox or Opera, if you count the Phishing
    Filter out (which might add a level of security; however, you can get
    those from third parties for other browsers, so I don't consider it in
    this case).

    Also IE7 is very nice and has just about all of the nice features that
    Firefox has--tabbed browsing, easily delete temporary browser files,
    etc. I highly recommend trying it, but I'm not going to vouch for any of
    the browsers right now. I say try this stuff for yourself before
    deciding! I have IE7 and Firefox coexisting on my system, and I use IE7
    most of the time, and Firefox occasionally. I also have Mozilla Suite on
    a laptop, and it's nice, but I personally think Firefox and Thunderbird
    combined are less cluttered than the entire Mozilla Suite.

    AnonyMouse, Sep 20, 2006
  10. Au79

    Guest

    AnonyMouse <""\"\"\"@.@.@.@ @.@

    Link: www.IE7.com

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWf_CIz--88

    , Sep 20, 2006
  11. Au79

    AnonyMouse Guest

    wrote:
    > AnonyMouse <""\"\"\"@.@.@.@ @.@
    > > wrote:
    >
    >> Au79 wrote:
    >>> Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    >>> VNUNet.com - UK
    >>>
    >>> Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability in Microsoft's
    >>> Internet Explorer that is actively being exploited.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2164579/attackers-hit-ie-vulnerability>

    >> ...or just upgrade to IE7 beta if you have Windows XP SP2.

    > Link: www.IE7.com

    No, the link to download it is on the Microsoft home page at
    microsoft.com. That IE7.com page is just a page with a huge Firefox logo
    and a link to the Firefox home page. I don't think you'll fool anyone
    with that.

    AnonyMouse, Sep 20, 2006
  12. Au79

    Guest

    AnonyMouse <""\"\"\"@.@.@.@ @.@
    > wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> AnonyMouse <""\"\"\"@.@.@.@ @.@
    >> > wrote:

    >>> ...or just upgrade to IE7 beta if you have Windows XP SP2.

    >> Link: www.IE7.com

    >No, the link to download it is on the Microsoft home page at
    >microsoft.com. That IE7.com page is just a page with a huge Firefox logo
    >and a link to the Firefox home page. I don't think you'll fool anyone
    >with that.

    It was worth a try :) IE7 still uses ActiveX, so still a
    security/malware risk/target.

    --
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWf_CIz--88

    , Sep 20, 2006
  13. Au79

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    richard wrote:

    > He was only pointing out that IE is more prone to attacks, well, because
    > it's so buggy to begin with.
    > Since a vast majority of people use it, it's safe to bet that they will
    > be effected by the attacks eventually.
    > I switched to FF not for the security attacks, but simply because FF
    > renders websites more correctly.
    > Including various things that IE doesn't even to consider.

    Oh? Can you give an example of a site which FF renders "more
    correctly", or the "various things that IE doesn't even to consider"?

    (I use and prefer Firefox too, but some sites just do not work correctly
    with it.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Sep 20, 2006
  14. Au79

    Guest

    , Sep 20, 2006
  15. Au79

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus <> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh? Can you give an example of a site which FF renders "more
    >> correctly", or the "various things that IE doesn't even to consider"?

    > Take the acid test http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
    > Only Opera renders this page properly
    > FireFox 1.5 - Kinda
    > IE - doesn't come close

    Thanks for that, it is interesting stuff and filed away for future
    reference.

    I would still be interested in RtS giving some links to "real world"
    sites to prove his statement though.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Sep 20, 2006
  16. Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > (I use and prefer Firefox too, but some sites just do not work
    > correctly with it.)

    Sites that only work (for some value of work) in IE is due to author
    ignorance, nothing else.

    Pick any site that uses ActiveX, or FrontPage widgets.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  17. Au79

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-20, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > malc wrote:
    >
    >> "Au79" <> wrote:
    >>> Attackers hit new IE vulnerability
    >>> VNUNet.com - UK
    >>>
    >>> Reports have surfaced of a newly-discovered vulnerability in
    >>> Microsoft's Internet Explorer that is actively being exploited.
    >>>

    >> Do please explain in your own words - I get bored of people just
    >> posting links to sites. Unless you fully understand it then don't
    >> post. All programs have problems, it's just that the ones concerning
    >> similar issues with Firefox and Opera are not as widely advertised.
    >> Have a Google.

    > Latest Secunia count, as of yesterday, for unpatched exploits:
    > Internet Explorer: 19 <-- some from 2003
    > Firefox: 3
    > Opera: 0

    Yes, but, to be scrupulously fair, the 0 unpatched exploits of Opera really
    don't get the publicity they deserve :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 20, 2006
  18. Au79

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    >> (I use and prefer Firefox too, but some sites just do not work
    >> correctly with it.)

    > Sites that only work (for some value of work) in IE is due to author
    > ignorance, nothing else.

    Agreed. Fortunately it does seem to be getting better all the time though.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Sep 20, 2006
  19. "richard" <> wrote news::

    > "thanatoid" wrote...

    >> "malc" wrote:

    >>> "Au79" wrote...

    >>> Do please explain in your own words - I get bored of people
    >>> just posting links to sites. Unless you fully understand
    >>> it then don't post. All programs have problems, it's just
    >>> that the ones concerning similar issues with Firefox and
    >>> Opera are not as widely advertised. Have a Google.

    >> You are so ignorant (look it up - I am NOT saying you are rude
    >> or offensive, I am saying you lack information) that it's not
    >> funny. Instead of posting idiotic replies, you should pay
    >> attention to Au79's posts.
    >>
    >> Aside from the fact it is technically illegal to paste copyright
    >> material into your own posts or web sites, what is so hard about
    >> clicking on a link which takes you right there? Everyone knows
    >> about the current level of literacy among Americans (you being a
    >> good example) and everything is written so that a 10 year old
    >> can understand it. You DID make it through primary school,
    >> right?

    <schnippen pedo bullishit>

    Don't listen to this idiot.

    @}-}-------Rosee, Sep 20, 2006
  20. Au79

    elaich Guest

    AnonyMouse <""\"\"\"@.@.@.@ @.@ >
    wrote in news:y24Qg.1084$:

    > Also IE7 is very nice and has just about all of the nice features that
    > Firefox has--tabbed browsing, easily delete temporary browser files,
    > etc. I highly recommend trying it, but I'm not going to vouch for any of
    > the browsers right now.

    It's still slow as molasses. My boss has it, and has a faster connection
    than I do at home. I still sit there w-a-i-t-i-n-g for it to load sites
    that load in an instant using Firefox at home. It lacks useful keyboard
    shortcuts that FF has. I don't care for it.

    elaich, Sep 20, 2006