Stop Error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anon, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. anon

    anon Guest

    The east coast has been bombarded with incredibly high winds for the past
    several days. Yesterday the winds must have been a factor in disrupting our
    electrical service for several hours. As fate would have it, my desktop
    computer was on and was in the process of downloading about two hours worth
    of critical updates that had just become available yesterday morning. When
    I got home last night, my system was shut down. I powered it up and it
    began to run through its boot up procedures, only to suddenly stop at a blue
    screen with a message at the top. The message heading was: UNEXPECTED
    KERNAL MODE TRAP. The message then went on to say that if this was the
    first time that I had seen this error that I should just reboot the machine.
    I did that, only to arrive back at the same blue screen with he same error
    message. The last line of the message refers to a STOP ERROR and refers me
    to my manual for troubleshooting tips. My machine is a hybrid (made to
    order) and operates on a WIN2K platform. I don't have a manual. Can anyone
    give me any hints or ideas where I should proceed from here? I did reboot
    at one point and used F8 to get me to SAFE mode with a COMMAND PROMPT where
    I tried to recover from my last successful configuration but with no
    success. I also tried the console recovery method, again without success.
    By the way, when I use that feature what do I use as the password? As you
    can see, I'm in a mess and I don't know how to get out of it. Any help will
    be MOST appreciated. I do have a complete system backup using Karen's
    Replicator.

    Thank you,
    anon, Nov 14, 2003

  2. anon

    °Mike° Guest

    The exact STOP error message may have been more
    help. I can only find this one article on the MS KB.

    Cannot Start Windows NT 4.0 After Installing Previous Version

    Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
    Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:49:50 -0500, in
    <>
    anon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003

  3. anon

    Plato Guest

    anon wrote:

    > The east coast has been bombarded with incredibly high winds for the past
    > several days. Yesterday the winds must have been a factor in disrupting our

    Good thing you got your backups available.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 15, 2003
  4. anon

    anon Guest

    Got to ask the really stupid question: I d/l'd the WIN2K files to my C
    drive and then I tried to unzip the first one to a diskette in my A drive.
    Not enough room? What am I doing wrong? What do I do once I get 4
    diskettes?

    anon, Nov 15, 2003
  5. anon

    nemo Guest

    anon,

    Copied from the same page that the boot disks were on:

    <Start quote>
    DOCS:
    1. Most of the files above are disk images. Download the file to your
    C: drive, put a fresh disk in your A: drive, then click on the file to
    create the bootdisk.
    2. If the Primary link is down, use the Alternate [Alt] link or Mirror
    Site to download my disks.
    3. The W2K Pro disks can be individually downloaded, unzipped, and
    made with a program like WinImage. If you download the entire set, one
    can make them in dos or a dos window using makeboot for 9X or makebt32
    for NT.
    <End quote>

    makeboot for 9X or makebt32 can be downloaded from the same site.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Nov 15, 2003