    Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks,
    mgalletly AT cox.net

    Michael Galletly, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Michael Galletly

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Michael Galletly" <> wrote:

    >I am getting a STOP 0x00000024 error while attempting to install windows XP
    >to a computer with a SATA harddrive. The SATA controller is integral to the
    >VIA chipset, and the drivers have been slipstreamed into the windows xp
    >disc. This error occurs at the same point in windows setup, during
    >textmode, at the point where the user chooses the partition to install to.
    >The drive is a new samsung 120GB that is known good, and has two NTFS
    >partitions on it.
    >The other error I get is that HAL.dll file is missing. This occurs at
    >various times, assuming that it completes the textmode setup and reboots to
    >the gui mode.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated,
    >Thanks,
    >mgalletly AT cox.net

    From http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    "A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the
    system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a
    physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP)
    may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive
    fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of
    drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest
    running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file
    system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup
    utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches
    the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or
    removable device drivers to the most current versions."

    Here is a link to an item regarding this error in the Windows XP
    Resource Kit (long URL may wrap to 2 or more lines):
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_swhw.asp

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Michael Galletly

    old john Guest

    just done a google for you, and the first item will give you
    some help, look for hal.dll, go for it ..J

    old john, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Thanks! We'll keep that one handy if it shows up again.

    MG

    Michael Galletly, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Thanks for your help. We FDISK'ed it from a W98SE boot disk, and we'll see
    what happens. I'll keep this one on my file though.

    MG

    Michael Galletly, Apr 5, 2005