"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by melbjer@hotmail.com, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I have had WinXP Pro installed on an 80G WD harddrive since April.
    After hundreds of boots, I now get the apparently well-known error
    message

    "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

    This started suddenly for no reason. I had used the computer the night
    before to scan some pictures, shut it down, and the next day saw this
    message. There had been no software or hardware changes. I searched
    old postings and went to the MS website and the message seems to flag
    the cable or harddrive. The cable is the proper 80 pin. I have an old
    30G harddrive with WinXP that I had used before upgrading to the 80G
    WD, so I unplugged the WD and plugged in the old harddive, and it
    booted perfectly, so did an old Win98 harddrive. At this point I
    thought bad harddrive or corrupted files, so I made the WD a slave and
    booted XP with the old 30G. I could see and read the WD, however,
    everything under MY DOCUMENTS either was gone or was invisible to me.
    Everything else was readable. It's the files in MY DOCUMENTS I want to
    get. Not all of them are backed up. The next thing I tried was to
    place the WD back as the C: drive and to boot from the WINXP CD,
    thinking I would try to repair the installation. However, the computer
    sees the CD, says it can boot from it, seems to start the process,
    then hangs. I tried the same thing with the old WinXP harddrive as C:
    and it boots properly from the CD.
    So, my questions are,
    1) Does this sound like a bad harddrive?
    2) If not, why would the error message start after WinXP working well
    for so long?
    3) Why can't I see the contents of MY DOCUMENTS when the WD is a slave
    and I'm booting to another harddrive? Are the contents gone or are
    they hidden since the administrator of the WD drive did not log in? Do
    I need to reset some permissions on the WD somehow, and can I do that
    from the old 30G drive?
    4) Can I use the WinXP CD to repair the WD drive? How can I get the
    system to finish booting from the CD? How can the WD harddrive affect
    booting from the CD?
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Jerry

    , Oct 18, 2004

  2. Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site - left hand
    column(ED):

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Will Denny, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Harry Ohrn Guest

    When you have the drive connected as slave and booting into XP (with your
    old drive) you say you can read the slave but can't see any files in the My
    Documents directory. Are you looking in the correct My Documents directory.
    By default an XP installation should have an Administrator account and at
    least one User account (the account you normally log on to) Each account
    will have a My Documents directory. Look under Documents and
    Settings\<username>\My Documents to ensure you have opened the correct
    directory.

    Also have you tried searching for a specific file that you recall being in
    the My Documents folder? Perhaps they have been moved to another location.

    If, when you try to access My Documents on the slave you get an error
    message that you are denied access you will need to take ownership of the
    directory check here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    It is possible that the drive is bad. You might want to try using recovery
    software to see if you can salvage any of your lost files. Ontrack has a
    demo here http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverylite/ While it won't recover
    files it will show you if they are present and then you can decide if you
    want to purchase the product.

    Whatever you do try not to copy data to the problem drive as doing so runs
    the risk of overwriting files.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Harry Ohrn, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Liz Guest

    Restart the computer to the Recovery Console, use the
    chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. The /r switch locates
    bad sectors and recovers readable information.

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307654

    Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

    <> wrote

    Liz, Oct 18, 2004
  5. °Mike° Guest

    "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error
    Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

    Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive
    with Caching Enabled Is Mounted
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:13:47 GMT, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 18, 2004
  6. vikas_slg

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    0x000000ed...unmountable boot volume

    Hi, I'm posting d least time consuming and easy resolution....
    Boot from d OS(win XP) cd..on d we'll come to setup window, press 'R', it'll take u to d recovery console window...at the C:>prompt, type "chkdsk /p" (without d inverted commas)/ u may get a message: found one or more errors in d volume after it's done...type: chkdsk /p again and press enter..continue doing it till the message: found one or more errors do not appear...then type: fixboot and press enter...type "y" and enter to confirm...u should be all set...:)

    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
    vikas_slg, Apr 13, 2008
  7. devils6thhand

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    curve ball

    well allow me to throw a curve ball into this mixup. fixing the installation and boot via coman prompts would work..as obviously seen in the past..but what happens when you cant boot from cd?.. not for lack of having the correct and verify'd windows OS instalation disc, but for the computers trouble in reading it?. i have a dell latitude c610..yes i know its kinda old.. 30g hdd and i got it with this issue in hoping to solve it.. i was confident in just re installing windows and drivers but it wont read the disc to do so.. and since it wont allow me to boot up in safe mode with comand prompt i cant do anything to force it. if i disable all boot actions except from the optical drive then it simply does nothing. i get a blank screen with a bleeping whit line. it acts as if its trying to read it but just never does...so how can i fix this aside from obtaining a new hdd?.

    devils6thhand, Feb 5, 2010