STOP: 0x000000ED occuring every few months

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I have a client that got the above message back in October. I went to the MS Knowledge Base and it
    said the following:
    UDMA Controller
    If your computer uses a UDMA hard disk controller, use the following procedures:
    Replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
    In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate
    the most frequently used options such as USB Support.
    Damaged File System
    If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is
    damaged.

    If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r
    command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause
    of the file system damage.

    To do this, use the following steps:
    Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can
    start from the CD-ROM drive.
    When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to
    access from the Recovery Console.
    Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

    NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press
    ENTER.
    At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional
    information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to
    view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console. All was fine until 6 months later when she got the same
    error message. I ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console, removed tons of spyware and all was well
    again. I got a call from her today and she got the same message. What would keep causing this to
    happen? It definetely isnt the UDMA Conroller because I changed the cable and reset the default
    motherboard options the first time I worked on the pc and it had no effect.

    Could the spyware they are downloading be causing this to happen every few months? Could it be the
    hard drive failing?

    Tony
    Tony, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Tony

    Geoff Guest

    Re: 0x000000ED occuring every few months

    > I ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console. All was fine until 6
    > months later when she got the same
    > error message. I ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console, removed
    > tons of spyware and all was well
    > again. I got a call from her today and she got the same message. What
    > would keep causing this to
    > happen? It definetely isnt the UDMA Conroller because I changed the
    > cable and reset the default
    > motherboard options the first time I worked on the pc and it had no
    > effect.
    >
    > Could the spyware they are downloading be causing this to happen
    > every few months? Could it be the
    > hard drive failing?
    >
    > Tony

    could be duff ide controller as well as hard drive slightly dodgy
    i'd say hard drive as number 1
    ide controller as number 2
    Geoff, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Tony

    Ronnie Guest

    Re: 0x000000ED occuring every few months

    I have a few questions.

    What is the Exact Stop Error Code? Is it the same error every single time
    or do the errors change? Other than the the stop error code itself, is
    there any other writing on the screen which would indicate a possible
    problem or give a lead as to the culprit?
    Have you detached the hard drive from the computer and attached it to a
    known good machine which has updated antivirus DATs and a good spyware
    detection program?
    Is there ANY non-xp software on the machine? In particular Windows98/SE
    or ME? Is the machine using an AMD or Intel based CPU? Which Model CPU is
    the machine using? Was the BIOS updated or flashed recently? Was any work
    performed on the machine prior to the original instance of the BSOD? If so
    what work--including the addition of any new hardware or drivers?
    Has there been any Windows updates added prior to the beginining of the
    bsod?

    --------------------

    Ronnie, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Tony

    kabsher0002

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2011
    Messages:
    2

    I did as instructed above Ronnie.
    It runs through the CHKDSK is checking volume and completes the process.
    When I type EXIT + ENTER, it works fine until i restart the computer without the disk being in the drive.
    It starts me all over at the blue screen error message:
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    STOP: 0X000000ED (0X85B3DC08, 0XC0000032, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
    kabsher0002, Dec 26, 2011