STOP: 0x0000007B After HW Upgrade

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony Goldstone, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. Hi -

    I've just upgraded the HW in one of my systems by installing a Gigabyte
    GA-81945P motherboard with Pentium D 830 CPU, 1GB of Corsair RAM and
    a PCI-Express Graphics card. Upon restart, as expected, Windows XP requires
    a re-installation. However, after receiving the message 'Windows is now
    starting'
    I am presented witht the delightful STOP: 0x0000007B error with the
    parameters
    0xf7c79524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

    Virus-scanned the system disks and no apparent infections. I've carried out
    a number
    of HW upgrades on Windows XP systems in the past and have generally not run
    into
    problems - just re-installed XP, updated the drivers and all has been OK.

    Any suggestions as to why I am experiencing this issue with my new Mobo?
    My current thoughts are that, although the onboard RAID is disabled in the
    BIOS, this is
    somehow causing some problems for XP.

    Thanks
    Tony
    Tony Goldstone, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Re: 0x0000007B After HW Upgrade

    Easily... XP can address up to I think it's 4GB of RAM and 2 processors. My
    brother's XP system has 2 GB of DDR-2 RAM in it and runs fine. If onboard
    RAID is correctly disabled in BIOS then that's not the problem. With
    inaccessible boot device errors the problem could be that the IDE controller
    you're using is not supported natively in XP, but you should have had to
    install a driver from floppy when you did the initial setup if that were the
    case. If so, maybe the driver version you're using has a bug in it, or
    maybe it's a hard drive that's going bad and only now is showing itself.
    You could try doing a reinstall making sure you hit F6 to install a third
    party driver and downloading the newest version of the driver from the
    manufacturer first, putting it on a floppy, and using that driver. Failing
    that, you might want to try running some manufacturer diags on the hard
    drive.

    Kenneth Burger, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Tony Goldstone

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 28, 2005
  4. I was under the impression that a reformat is what he meant by a reinstall,
    as I've never known an over-the-top repair to work with a completely
    different IDE controller. Normally if the system won't boot into normal
    mode because of an inaccessible boot device error, it won't boot into safe
    mode either, but I suppose it's worth a shot if he wants to give it a try.

    "rainman" <> wrote in message
    Kenneth Burger, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Tony Goldstone

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Tony Goldstone" <> wrote in

    > Any suggestions as to why I am experiencing this issue with my new
    > Mobo? My current thoughts are that, although the onboard RAID is
    > disabled in the BIOS, this is
    > somehow causing some problems for XP.

    A 0x7B stop error is usually related to Windows not being able to find
    a mass storage device driver for the IDE controller. Before switching
    the motherboard you could have downloaded the drivers for the new IDE
    controller, chipset, etc and define their location using
    OEMPnpDriversPath in the sysprep.inf file. Then do a "sysprep -pnp -
    mini -reseal". This would locate the correct driver specified by
    [SysprepMassStorage] to use during the mini-setup.

    Unfortunately, there's really no simple way of explaining it and I've
    greatly oversimplified what you would need to do. Bottom line: you are
    probably better off reinstalling on different hardware any ways.

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Jun 29, 2005