    see one . . .

    Cheers
    , Apr 30, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > My flat got broken into today and had my laptop stolen.
    >
    > I was wondering if anybody has gone through this or has any
    > suggestions for steps I may take either to possibly track it down or
    > prevent identity theft kind of stuff.
    >
    > I've gone though all my email accounts and changed passwords etc.
    > I had vista installed with password protected user accounts and had
    > most of my data backed up so I'm not too worried about it all.
    >
    > I basically would like to know if anyone has any advice I may not
    > otherwise have thought of.
    >
    > btw. it was an Acer TM8204WLMI. I don't think these can even be
    > purchased (I havn't seen any, I purchased in Canada) in NZ so if you
    > see one . . .
    >

    > Cheers

    Keep an eye on Trademe and the Trade & Exchange paper [website].
    There used to be one guy here (German name, forgot what it was, used to sell a
    lot of Mac stuff) who managed to track down the thieves that broke into his
    place that way). He had a hard time getting the cops to help him nab the
    bastards, though, i.i.r.c. (snide comment about poh-leece deleted)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 30, 2007

  3. XPD Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message

    > Keep an eye on Trademe and the Trade & Exchange paper [website].
    > There used to be one guy here (German name, forgot what it was, used to
    > sell a
    > lot of Mac stuff) who managed to track down the thieves that broke into
    > his
    > place that way). He had a hard time getting the cops to help him nab the
    > bastards, though, i.i.r.c. (snide comment about poh-leece deleted)

    Was that the guy who worked for Auckland uni youre thinking about ?
    Laptops got stolen, he saw advert in T&E for similar laptop, went to sellers
    house and found it was his - all his files were still on it. Got his mate to
    disctract the "seller" while he called the cops :)
    XPD, Apr 30, 2007
  4. thingy Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> My flat got broken into today and had my laptop stolen.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anybody has gone through this or has any
    >> suggestions for steps I may take either to possibly track it down or
    >> prevent identity theft kind of stuff.
    >>
    >> I've gone though all my email accounts and changed passwords etc.
    >> I had vista installed with password protected user accounts and had
    >> most of my data backed up so I'm not too worried about it all.
    >>
    >> I basically would like to know if anyone has any advice I may not
    >> otherwise have thought of.
    >>
    >> btw. it was an Acer TM8204WLMI. I don't think these can even be
    >> purchased (I havn't seen any, I purchased in Canada) in NZ so if you
    >> see one . . .
    >>

    >> Cheers

    > Keep an eye on Trademe and the Trade & Exchange paper [website].
    > There used to be one guy here (German name, forgot what it was, used to sell a
    > lot of Mac stuff) who managed to track down the thieves that broke into his
    > place that way). He had a hard time getting the cops to help him nab the
    > bastards, though, i.i.r.c. (snide comment about poh-leece deleted)
    >
    > -P.

    I agree several simple searches on trademe and a key word save
    (something like "acer laptop", "Acer TM", "Acer TM8") so its emailed
    every morning to you...dunno if T&E do it as well......

    I'd expect it to be fenced and if it is unique as you suggest then
    keeping an eye on the online auctions would be my way.....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 30, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > Was that the guy who worked for Auckland uni youre thinking about ?

    That's him. Markus Winter or something like that (heh, I haven't even had my
    cup of coffee yet!) - I think he finished at uni and went back to the old
    country.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 30, 2007
  6. none Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Was that the guy who worked for Auckland uni youre thinking about ?
    > Laptops got stolen, he saw advert in T&E for similar laptop, went to sellers
    > house and found it was his - all his files were still on it. Got his mate to
    > disctract the "seller" while he called the cops :)

    A customer of the ISP I work for had a laptop stolen, but noticed
    activity on her dialup connection the day or two after.

    A couple of phone calls and a warrant later, the Police visited the
    house that the dialup calls originated from (gotta love caller-id) and
    recovered the stolen machine.
    none, May 1, 2007