    firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening email
    attachments running unknown programs.
    Thanks, any info would be appreciated

    Rocky, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Rocky

    Jay Calvert Guest

    Actually using your email address as the sender is one of the ways that
    spammers try to get through spam filters into your inbox. It is believed
    that you might have allowed email from yourself to be whitelisted.

    --
    Jay Calvert
    http://habaneronetworks.com

    "Rocky" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
    > are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
    > someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is there

    > security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a

    updated

    Jay Calvert, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    Thanks. I currently am not running a spam filtering program such as
    Mailwasher. So did the person steal my address, or is it an automated
    process such as a script that harvests your address from newsgroups, etc? I
    have a few programs set up that alert me if email is silently sent, so I
    don't think I'm sending them out, it's just a little unnerving to see spam
    come in pretending to be from you.

    Rocky, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Rocky

    patrickdwyer Guest

    Rocky wrote:

    > Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
    > are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
    > someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is there
    > security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a
    > updated
    > firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening
    > email attachments running unknown programs.
    > Thanks, any info would be appreciated

    Someone may have you in their address book and their machine is infected
    with a virus that scans their computer for addresses. It then sends out an
    email that looks like it is being sent from you.

    Also, it could be that your computer may be infected with a virus that is
    sending email to yourself, like the SoBig virus does.

    You may want to try scanning your system with a third party antivirus scan
    such as http://www.housecall.antivirus.com. Some of the newer virii are
    bypassing or shutting down the antivirus you have installed on your
    computer. I speak to several people a day that scan with Norton/McAfee (or
    other software) and no virii are found, however, when they run housecall's
    webscan, virii are detected.

    --
    --GhostKnife--

    patrickdwyer, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Rocky

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:01:45 GMT, "Rocky" <> wrote:

    > it an automated
    >process such as a script that harvests your address from newsgroups, etc?

    Surely you don't post your email address to newsgroups ?

    thats a big invite to the spam man

    But turning to the original question, you can expect to receive spam
    using your email address and combinations thereof.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    No, the email you see isn't correct. Someone must have picked up somewhere
    down the line.

    Rocky, Oct 28, 2004
  7. "Rocky" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
    > are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
    > someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is there

    > security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a

    updated
    > firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening

    email
    > attachments running unknown programs.
    > Thanks, any info would be appreciated

    Rather than retype the whole thing..