    sales. It's a great way for enthusiastic amateurs to learn about Stock
    and earn a few dollars at the same time.

    Pete

    station5, May 13, 2005

  2. station5

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    station5 says...

    > http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=5258
    >
    > you won't get much per sale ( 20c in this case ) but you WILL get MANY
    > sales. It's a great way for enthusiastic amateurs to learn about Stock
    > and earn a few dollars at the same time.

    Hmmm... I just sold a photo for 175 Euro (= $222). To make the same
    amount of money with your site, I would have to sell the image over 1100
    times.

    I can just recommend to anybody not to give away their images for
    essentially nothing.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, May 13, 2005

  3. station5

    station5 Guest

    I agree, 1100 is pushing it a bit, but perhaps you have earned the
    position where your images can command such a fee. When you first
    started, would you not have welcomed the opportunity which is available
    to us now. Those with the ability to consistantly produce quality will
    still progress, in the end, and those content to remain hobbyists will
    be happy with a smaller reward. This sort of site opens up the world of
    stock photography to everybody which is bound to happen as it becomes
    easier and cheaper by the month to capture high resolution images.

    station5, May 13, 2005
  4. station5

    Hannah Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message

    > > http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=
    > >
    > > you won't get much per sale ( 20c in this case ) but you WILL get MANY
    > > sales. It's a great way for enthusiastic amateurs to learn about Stock
    > > and earn a few dollars at the same time.

    > Hmmm... I just sold a photo for 175 Euro (= $222). To make the same
    > amount of money with your site, I would have to sell the image over 1100
    > times.
    >
    > I can just recommend to anybody not to give away their images for
    > essentially nothing.
    > --

    Completely agree Alfred. Only yesterday, and to my surprise, given what the
    pics were, I sold 6 shots on Alamy for around $140 a pop. I think I prefer
    $800 to $1.20 on just about any day of the week. The OP's "MANY" would have
    to be very very many to get me that sort of easy pocket money - about 4000
    according to my elderly calculator.
    Hannah.

    Hannah, May 13, 2005
  5. station5

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "station5" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > A good way to get into stock photography is with a "micropayment" site
    > such as this.......
    >
    > http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=5258
    >
    > you won't get much per sale ( 20c in this case ) but you WILL get MANY
    > sales. It's a great way for enthusiastic amateurs to learn about Stock
    > and earn a few dollars at the same time.
    >
    > Pete

    Crappy sites that saturate the market with photos from amateurs who just
    want to make a sale...meanwhile devaluing the market for the rest. Agreed?

    Dirty Harry, May 13, 2005
  6. station5

    jimkramer Guest

    "station5" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > A good way to get into stock photography is with a "micropayment" site
    > such as this.......
    >
    > http://submit.shutterstock.com/deleted>
    > you won't get much per sale ( 20c in this case ) but you WILL get MANY
    > sales. It's a great way for enthusiastic amateurs to learn about Stock
    > and earn a few dollars at the same time.
    >
    > Pete

    "There are 3 ways to make money with this program - Refer photographers,
    refer Stock Buyers (make 20% off their subscriptions), and submit photos for
    sale!"

    Why again did you post the link?

    jimkramer, May 13, 2005
  7. station5

    teflon Guest

    Seems a little like those model agencies that let the monsters in - or those
    'academies' that sell diploma's in the mail. But instead of paying a fee,
    you pay with your images so you can say you're a real stock photographer.

    teflon, May 14, 2005
  8. station5

    Roy Guest

    "station5" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > A good way to get into stock photography is with a "micropayment" site
    > such as this.......
    >
    > http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=5258
    >
    > you won't get much per sale ( 20c in this case ) but you WILL get MANY
    > sales. It's a great way for enthusiastic amateurs to learn about Stock
    > and earn a few dollars at the same time.
    >
    > Pete

    It is not a good way to make a few dollars.

    It is a crappy way to make a few cents.

    >>This sort of site opens up the world of stock photography to >>everybody
    >>which is bound to happen as it becomes easier and >>cheaper by the month
    >>to capture high resolution images.

    Quite a large assumption in that statement. There is an enormous difference
    between high resolution and high quality. The second one is by far the most
    important bit and depends entirely on the photographer's skill.

    There are a great number of extremely mediocre or downright talentless
    photographers out there who do not know enough, to recognise the true level
    of their work. They may be tempted into submitting to one of these sites,
    and get an occasional sale at 20 cents, and believe that their work is
    acceptable, and just keep on without trying to get better.

    Their stuff is so poor that it would not be accepted by a real site. If they
    really want to improve, they should work at it, keep trying to get accepted
    into a good site, and then one day they may succeed and start earning real
    money. Even then they will be unlikely to make a real living, but the extra
    will help fund their hobby.

    Roy G

    Roy, May 14, 2005