    LouisB
    ------
    "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

    LouisB, Aug 1, 2006

  2. LouisB

    POHB Guest

    LouisB wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend stitching software for digital phots. Is there any
    > advantage over just trying to match up photos in PSP?

    Try AutoStitch, it is free.
    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
    I spent hours trying to stitch together a panorama in PSP and this
    software did a much better job in just a few minutes. I'd suggest you
    experiment with a few small images and work up as the time and memory
    taken seem to increase hugely (exponentially?) for big files.

    POHB, Aug 1, 2006

  3. LouisB

    Charlie Choc Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:07:43 GMT, "LouisB"
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend stitching software for digital phots. Is there any
    >advantage over just trying to match up photos in PSP?

    I like PTGui (http://www.ptgui.com/). It will handle images that aren't aligned
    and also warp/stretch where needed to account for parallax errors. It makes hand
    held panos a lot easier to put together, but if you use a pano head there are
    fewer advantages.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com

    Charlie Choc, Aug 1, 2006
  4. LouisB

    Gorgon Guest

    Hello,

    I use software that came with a Canon camera I purchased several years back.
    Its called Photostitch and Canon have the copyright on it. Its pretty good
    with several options for editing the image. I dont understand them all. The
    one issue the software does highlite is changing light conditions as you
    move the lens. I keep promising myself that I am going to properly learn how
    to deal with it when taking the original picture...never manage it.There is
    also software meant for use on the web....the company is called something
    like "Pixar" they enable the creation of a 260 degree view where the user
    can turn around and zoom in or out. It works fine on your desktop too. If
    you are interested I will try and find it.

    Best Wishes.....John Kelly
    www.the-kellys.co.uk

    Gorgon, Aug 1, 2006
  5. LouisB

    bugbear Guest

    Gorgon wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I use software that came with a Canon camera I purchased several years back.
    > Its called Photostitch and Canon have the copyright on it. Its pretty good
    > with several options for editing the image. I dont understand them all. The
    > one issue the software does highlite is changing light conditions as you
    > move the lens. I keep promising myself that I am going to properly learn how
    > to deal with it when taking the original picture...never manage it.

    Many canon cameras have a photo-mode called panorama assist.

    Use it.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Aug 1, 2006
  6. LouisB

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    LouisB <> wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend stitching software for digital phots. Is there any
    > advantage over just trying to match up photos in PSP?

    There's plenty of advantage. The software is usually better at it than
    the human, especially if you don't use a pano rig.

    I use Hugin and/or enblend. Give 'em a shot; they're free.

    Paul Mitchum, Aug 1, 2006
  7. LouisB

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Stitching in Photoshop sucks, it is probably the worst going and Adobe
    doesn't seem to want to fix it.

    I like PTGui. http://www.ptgui.com

    Some people like the free AutoStitch program but it is pretty bad too. I
    doesn't good on aligning the images but it distorts them and bakes them
    blurry and the creator of the program either can't or doesn't want to fix
    the problems.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 1, 2006
  8. LouisB

    simon Guest

    simon, Aug 1, 2006
  9. LouisB

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:35:20 -0700, "Hebee Jeebes" <>
    wrote:

    >Stitching in Photoshop sucks, it is probably the worst going and Adobe
    >doesn't seem to want to fix it.
    >
    >I like PTGui. http://www.ptgui.com
    >
    >Some people like the free AutoStitch program but it is pretty bad too. I
    >doesn't good on aligning the images but it distorts them and bakes them
    >blurry and the creator of the program either can't or doesn't want to fix
    >the problems.

    Really?
    Handheld:
    http://pippina.us/tahoe/images/pano1.jpg
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 1, 2006
  10. LouisB

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Panorama Factory is nice. But, it only does horizontal panoramas. You have
    to jump through hopes and rotate all of your images for vertical ones and it
    doesn't do tiled panoramas which I find myself do more and more often. PTGui
    is still the best.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 1, 2006
  11. LouisB

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Yep, blurry. Just look at the pine needles. Well you could if you can
    actually see them. Would be a nice shot if it wasn't blurry.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 1, 2006
  12. LouisB

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:58:09 -0700, "Hebee Jeebes" <>
    wrote:

    >Yep, blurry. Just look at the pine needles. Well you could if you can
    >actually see them. Would be a nice shot if it wasn't blurry.

    Not blurry, just not as big as you'd like it to be.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 2, 2006
  13. LouisB

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    I got it! Thanks. :)

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 2, 2006
  14. LouisB

    Guest

    i did 4 shots of the aga sophia, intervening city and the blue mosque
    in turkey, hand held with a canon 28-105 set at 105, without a tripod,
    but manually setting the focus and speed/f stop and tried stitching
    them in photoshop.... failure ..

    tried a trial download of ptgui - perfect! bought it, set it to
    maximum output and after sharpening/mild enhancements in photoshop
    printed a 13 x 40" panorama ... seems quite nice to me :) ...

    steve

    wrote:

    >Stitching in Photoshop sucks, it is probably the worst going and Adobe
    >doesn't seem to want to fix it.
    >
    >I like PTGui. http://www.ptgui.com
    >
    >Some people like the free AutoStitch program but it is pretty bad too. I
    >doesn't good on aligning the images but it distorts them and bakes them
    >blurry and the creator of the program either can't or doesn't want to fix
    >the problems.

    >"LouisB" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone recommend stitching software for digital phots. Is there any
    >> advantage over just trying to match up photos in PSP?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> LouisB
    >> ------
    >> "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

    , Aug 2, 2006
  15. LouisB

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:35:20 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Hebee Jeebes"
    <> wrote:

    >Some people like the free AutoStitch program but it is pretty bad too. I
    >doesn't good on aligning the images but it distorts them and bakes them
    >blurry and the creator of the program either can't or doesn't want to fix
    >the problems.

    As a generality that's nonsense, look at the bridge pano at:
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/dSLR/pano/index.html
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com