Stitching photos of small objects

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scott W, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    Most of the stitched photos that I have seen have been of landscape
    shots. I have gotten interested in what all can be done with stitched
    photos.

    In this test I photographed my old trusty F828, which I still get a lot
    of use out of.
    The photo is made up by stitching together 10 photos from my 20D. I
    used the Sigma 70-300 lens for this set to f/29. This lens has a macro
    mode. The full photo is close to 37 MP in size.

    This is the photo down sized to 800 x 656 pixels, the white square is
    the area shown in detail in the next photo.
    http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_sized.jpg

    This is the 100% crop from the above photo
    http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_crop.jpg
    You can see the effects of salt air on the hardware.

    For those who want to see the full image here it is, this is about an 8
    MB file.
    http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828.jpg
    Dust really shows up at this scale.

    Because of DOF issues it is a lot easier to get large photos of
    landscapes then small objects, but stitching can give us high res
    photos even of fairly small objects.

    As always I used PTGui for the stitching, there are other good programs
    out there as well.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Interesting project Scott, and well done. Will look into PTGui software.
    My last one was manually stitched in 2003.
    http://www.photoprojects.net/panortho.jpg
    Gene

    Gene F. Rhodes, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Scott W

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > Most of the stitched photos that I have seen have been of landscape
    > shots. I have gotten interested in what all can be done with stitched
    > photos.
    >
    > In this test I photographed my old trusty F828, which I still get a lot
    > of use out of.
    > The photo is made up by stitching together 10 photos from my 20D. I
    > used the Sigma 70-300 lens for this set to f/29. This lens has a macro
    > mode. The full photo is close to 37 MP in size.
    >
    > This is the photo down sized to 800 x 656 pixels, the white square is
    > the area shown in detail in the next photo.
    > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_sized.jpg
    >
    > This is the 100% crop from the above photo
    > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_crop.jpg
    > You can see the effects of salt air on the hardware.
    >
    > For those who want to see the full image here it is, this is about an 8
    > MB file.
    > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828.jpg
    > Dust really shows up at this scale.
    >
    > Because of DOF issues it is a lot easier to get large photos of
    > landscapes then small objects, but stitching can give us high res
    > photos even of fairly small objects.
    >
    > As always I used PTGui for the stitching, there are other good programs
    > out there as well.
    >
    > Scott

    Great stitch! One part that seemed a little out was the checkering on the
    lens grip, it has a slight wave look.
    Dirty Harry, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Scott W

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Gene F. Rhodes" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting project Scott, and well done. Will look into PTGui software.
    > My last one was manually stitched in 2003.
    > http://www.photoprojects.net/panortho.jpg
    > Gene
    >
    > Scott W wrote:
    >
    > > Most of the stitched photos that I have seen have been of landscape
    > > shots. I have gotten interested in what all can be done with stitched
    > > photos.
    > >
    > > In this test I photographed my old trusty F828, which I still get a lot
    > > of use out of.
    > > The photo is made up by stitching together 10 photos from my 20D. I
    > > used the Sigma 70-300 lens for this set to f/29. This lens has a macro
    > > mode. The full photo is close to 37 MP in size.
    > >
    > > This is the photo down sized to 800 x 656 pixels, the white square is
    > > the area shown in detail in the next photo.
    > > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_sized.jpg
    > >
    > > This is the 100% crop from the above photo
    > > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_crop.jpg
    > > You can see the effects of salt air on the hardware.
    > >
    > > For those who want to see the full image here it is, this is about an 8
    > > MB file.
    > > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828.jpg
    > > Dust really shows up at this scale.
    > >
    > > Because of DOF issues it is a lot easier to get large photos of
    > > landscapes then small objects, but stitching can give us high res
    > > photos even of fairly small objects.
    > >
    > > As always I used PTGui for the stitching, there are other good programs
    > > out there as well.
    > >
    > > Scott

    Thanks for sharing that, I really see how much difference there is between
    "pano" and "ortho," especially when you look at the roofs (rooves?) I will
    have to start doing the ortho method I think. Here is one I did in
    photoshop: http://harryphotos.com/panologo.htm the detail is great you can
    actually see the guidewires on the tower cranes in the full version.

    http://harryphotos.com/clearwater.htm some more stitches. The one I shot
    from ground level could have been a lot better with the ortho method I can
    see now!
    www.harryphotos.com/ride.jpg <<-how I got most of those shots, dangling from
    a string...
    Dirty Harry, Dec 23, 2005
  5. Scott W

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Dirty Harry" <> wrote in message

    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > > Most of the stitched photos that I have seen have been of landscape
    > > shots. I have gotten interested in what all can be done with stitched
    > > photos.
    > >
    > > In this test I photographed my old trusty F828, which I still get a lot
    > > of use out of.
    > > The photo is made up by stitching together 10 photos from my 20D. I
    > > used the Sigma 70-300 lens for this set to f/29. This lens has a macro
    > > mode. The full photo is close to 37 MP in size.
    > >
    > > This is the photo down sized to 800 x 656 pixels, the white square is
    > > the area shown in detail in the next photo.
    > > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_sized.jpg
    > >
    > > This is the 100% crop from the above photo
    > > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_crop.jpg
    > > You can see the effects of salt air on the hardware.
    > >
    > > For those who want to see the full image here it is, this is about an 8
    > > MB file.
    > > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828.jpg
    > > Dust really shows up at this scale.
    > >
    > > Because of DOF issues it is a lot easier to get large photos of
    > > landscapes then small objects, but stitching can give us high res
    > > photos even of fairly small objects.
    > >
    > > As always I used PTGui for the stitching, there are other good programs
    > > out there as well.
    > >
    > > Scott

    > Great stitch! One part that seemed a little out was the checkering on the
    > lens grip, it has a slight wave look.

    Looking a little closer that could just be how the grip has worn in :)
    Dirty Harry, Dec 23, 2005
  6. You are a brave man Harry.
    I could never concentrate on the shot while swinging around in a cherry picker
    at 100ft.
    Your pictures are great, but pano.4bigjpg.jpg is perfection.
    Gene

    Gene F. Rhodes, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Scott W

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:04:55 -0600, "Gene F. Rhodes"
    <> wrote:

    >Interesting project Scott, and well done. Will look into PTGui software.
    >My last one was manually stitched in 2003.
    >http://www.photoprojects.net/panortho.jpg
    >Gene
    >
    >Scott W wrote:
    >
    >> Most of the stitched photos that I have seen have been of landscape
    >> shots. I have gotten interested in what all can be done with stitched
    >> photos.
    >>
    >> In this test I photographed my old trusty F828, which I still get a lot
    >> of use out of.
    >> The photo is made up by stitching together 10 photos from my 20D. I
    >> used the Sigma 70-300 lens for this set to f/29. This lens has a macro
    >> mode. The full photo is close to 37 MP in size.
    >>
    >> This is the photo down sized to 800 x 656 pixels, the white square is
    >> the area shown in detail in the next photo.
    >> http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_sized.jpg
    >>
    >> This is the 100% crop from the above photo
    >> http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_crop.jpg
    >> You can see the effects of salt air on the hardware.
    >>
    >> For those who want to see the full image here it is, this is about an 8
    >> MB file.
    >> http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828.jpg
    >> Dust really shows up at this scale.
    >>
    >> Because of DOF issues it is a lot easier to get large photos of
    >> landscapes then small objects, but stitching can give us high res
    >> photos even of fairly small objects.
    >>
    >> As always I used PTGui for the stitching, there are other good programs
    >> out there as well.
    >>
    >> Scott

    I guess ideally for such a project you'd want some kind of rail system
    for your tripod and camera, so you could keep angle and distance the
    same as you imaged whatever it was you wanted to?
    -Rich
    Rich, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Scott W

    timeOday Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Most of the stitched photos that I have seen have been of landscape
    > shots. I have gotten interested in what all can be done with stitched
    > photos.
    >
    > In this test I photographed my old trusty F828, which I still get a lot
    > of use out of.
    > The photo is made up by stitching together 10 photos from my 20D. I
    > used the Sigma 70-300 lens for this set to f/29. This lens has a macro
    > mode. The full photo is close to 37 MP in size.
    >
    > This is the photo down sized to 800 x 656 pixels, the white square is
    > the area shown in detail in the next photo.
    > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_sized.jpg
    >
    > This is the 100% crop from the above photo
    > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828_crop.jpg
    > You can see the effects of salt air on the hardware.
    >
    > For those who want to see the full image here it is, this is about an 8
    > MB file.
    > http://www.sewcon.com/temp/f828.jpg
    > Dust really shows up at this scale.
    >
    > Because of DOF issues it is a lot easier to get large photos of
    > landscapes then small objects, but stitching can give us high res
    > photos even of fairly small objects.
    >
    > As always I used PTGui for the stitching, there are other good programs
    > out there as well.
    >
    > Scott

    You should get with that guy who was asking about wall-sized or
    billboard-sized product shots from a digicam. Or was that you?
    timeOday, Dec 24, 2005