Still Sluggish - Success! (I Hope)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by RS, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. RS

    RS Guest

    Thanks to all the replies to my sluggish computer problem. I think I found
    the culprit -

    One suggestion was to go to Task Manager when the problem happened to see
    what application was using the highest % of CPU. I did that and found the
    CPU usage was spiked at 100% and an application called spoolsv.exe was using
    99%.

    I did some investigation as to what this was - most of you probably know it
    is a system file for printing, but can also be a virus disguised.

    Anyway, I thought back to what I was doing when the problem started - trying
    to re-establish a home network after reformatting my HD with XP. At the time
    I was also trying to establish a network printer.

    In the print que of the fax were two documents that kept trying to load for
    printing. I canceled them and my computer has been running great!

    I went to the trouble and cost of upgrading my RAM from 256 to 512 which
    probably wasn't needed, but I'm going to keep it, as I'm sure having the
    extra RAM will only be a benefit.

    At any rate, I continue to learn about computers - problem is, I never seem
    to have the same problem twice so I'm not sure where all this learning is
    getting me :)

    Thanks again for all your help!

    RS, Oct 7, 2004

  2. RS

    Thor Guest

    "RS" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all the replies to my sluggish computer problem. I think I found
    > the culprit -
    >
    > One suggestion was to go to Task Manager when the problem happened to see
    > what application was using the highest % of CPU. I did that and found the
    > CPU usage was spiked at 100% and an application called spoolsv.exe was
    > using
    > 99%.
    >
    > I did some investigation as to what this was - most of you probably know
    > it
    > is a system file for printing, but can also be a virus disguised.
    >
    > Anyway, I thought back to what I was doing when the problem started -
    > trying
    > to re-establish a home network after reformatting my HD with XP. At the
    > time
    > I was also trying to establish a network printer.
    >
    > In the print que of the fax were two documents that kept trying to load
    > for
    > printing. I canceled them and my computer has been running great!
    >
    > I went to the trouble and cost of upgrading my RAM from 256 to 512 which
    > probably wasn't needed, but I'm going to keep it, as I'm sure having the
    > extra RAM will only be a benefit.
    >
    > At any rate, I continue to learn about computers - problem is, I never
    > seem
    > to have the same problem twice so I'm not sure where all this learning is
    > getting me :)
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help!

    BRAVO!

    Thor, Oct 7, 2004

  3. RS

    bmoag Guest

    As you run into more and more problems with Windows and find arcane
    solutions you will understand why Windows is simultaneously one of the
    greatest and absolutely worst computer products ever issued. Hence the
    love/hate relationship many users have with Windows and why few people other
    than large Microsoft shareholders have much sympathy for the company as they
    lose mutiple courtroom and regulatory battles. Microsoft should suffer as
    much as its customers.

    bmoag, Oct 8, 2004