Still problem with telnet-please help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rob, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Javier Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > "Rob" <> writes:
    >
    > > When i try to telnet to a 2621 router it asks for Login, I dont know

    what
    > > happend or what I have done last time I was working on that, however it
    > > wasnt asking me for Login, I had to only enter the password.
    > > Also, if I telnet to this router from a swith it still only asks for
    > > password. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem.

    > Log in any way you can, then look at the configuration. Pay particular
    > attention to the config statements around "line vty 0 4" (or however
    > many vty's you have defined). Other statements you would be looking at
    > would be ones starting with "aaa".
    >
    > What probably happened is that someone added authentication steps to
    > some of the vty's.
    >
    > -jav

    Here is what I have under vty 0 4:
    exec-timeout 0 0
    password xxxxx
    login
    !
    any idea what causes that login prompt?
    Thanks again-Rob
    Rob, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Rob

    Ben Guest

    What do you want to happen?

    Probably best to be a bit more specific and specify:

    vty 0 4
    no password
    login local

    Then create a local username and password in the global config:

    username bob password 123

    Regardless of which interface you telnet from this is the login that will be
    applied to your session - provided you are ssh/telnetting (which comes in on
    the vty)

    If you are consoling in you will need to have a similar configuration under
    line console 0

    Ben, Oct 16, 2004