    automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups take up to 30 seconds to
    download, sometimes I have to stop and try again. Any other suggestions?

    Jenn

    Jenn, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Jenn

    Phil® Guest

    Jenn:

    Here's some interesting reading.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;819634

    You May Experience Performance Issues After
    You Install the 811493 (MS03-013) Package on
    Your Windows XP SP1-Based Computer

    Good Luck

    Phil®

    Phil®, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Jenn

    Boomer Guest

    "Jenn" <> wrote in

    > I've tried maintenance, that's not helping. Ever since I
    > downloaded the automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups
    > take up to 30 seconds to download, sometimes I have to stop and
    > try again. Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Jenn

    Are you sure it's not a problem with RoadRunner? Have you read through
    their local groups to see if there is a problem lately?

    Maybe try a real news reader like Forte Agent or Xnews?

    Boomer, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Jenn

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "Jenn" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I've tried maintenance, that's not helping. Ever since I
    > > downloaded the automatic updates from XP, messages in newsgroups
    > > take up to 30 seconds to download, sometimes I have to stop and
    > > try again. Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > Jenn

    > Are you sure it's not a problem with RoadRunner? Have you read through
    > their local groups to see if there is a problem lately?

    Nope, has nothing to do with Road Runner. How I know is that this has
    happened in the past. I had to reinstall XP a while back, so I did the
    automatic updates. I should have remembered.

    > Maybe try a real news reader like Forte Agent or Xnews?

    I've used OE for years, but I might just break down and install one of
    these.

    Jenn, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Try a real newsreader.
    >
    > Agent
    > http://www.forteinc.com/
    >
    > Xnews
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it. Is
    the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

    Jenn, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Jenn

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
    <LlGIb.21075$>
    Jenn scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Try a real newsreader.
    >>
    >> Agent
    >> http://www.forteinc.com/
    >>
    >> Xnews
    >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    >I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it. Is
    >the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

    Yes, the free one has limited functions.
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Jenn

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
    <LlGIb.21075$>
    Jenn scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Try a real newsreader.
    >>
    >> Agent
    >> http://www.forteinc.com/
    >>
    >> Xnews
    >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    >I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it. Is
    >the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

    You might also want to take a look at 40tude Dialog. It's similar, in many
    ways, to Agent, but it's free. The only thing to keep in mind, is that it's
    in perpetual Beta. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the single click
    delete feature, which put me off trying it for any extended period. That
    might have changed, though.
    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
    > <LlGIb.21075$>
    > Jenn scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Try a real newsreader.
    > >>
    > >> Agent
    > >> http://www.forteinc.com/
    > >>
    > >> Xnews
    > >> http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    > >I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it.

    Is
    > >the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

    > You might also want to take a look at 40tude Dialog. It's similar, in

    many
    > ways, to Agent, but it's free. The only thing to keep in mind, is that

    it's
    > in perpetual Beta. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the single

    click
    > delete feature, which put me off trying it for any extended period. That
    > might have changed, though.
    > http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    Ok I'm liking 40tude Dialog a lot better than any of them. And I'm seeing
    the slow message pull-up as an XP thing, because it's slow in there also.

    Jenn, Dec 31, 2003
  10. Jenn

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:49:34 GMT, in
    <yDGIb.21126$>
    Jenn scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:30:35 GMT, in
    >> <LlGIb.21075$>
    >> Jenn scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> >I downloaded Forte Agent, I will probably end up paying the $30 for it.

    >Is
    >> >the pay one better than the free? What advantages does it have?

    >> You might also want to take a look at 40tude Dialog. It's similar, in

    >many
    >> ways, to Agent, but it's free. The only thing to keep in mind, is that

    >it's
    >> in perpetual Beta. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the single

    >click
    >> delete feature, which put me off trying it for any extended period. That
    >> might have changed, though.
    >> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    >Ok I'm liking 40tude Dialog a lot better than any of them. And I'm seeing
    >the slow message pull-up as an XP thing, because it's slow in there also.

    1. How many things do you have running at once?

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    Services Guide for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Windows XP Service Configurations
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    Windows XP Strange Service Information
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    2. Have you checked your system for malware?

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder

    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 31, 2003
  11. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    it.
    > >Is
    > >>
    > >> You might also want to take a look at 40tude Dialog. It's similar, in

    > >many
    > >> ways, to Agent, but it's free. The only thing to keep in mind, is that

    > >it's
    > >> in perpetual Beta. If I remember correctly, it doesn't have the single

    > >click
    > >> delete feature, which put me off trying it for any extended period.

    That
    > >> might have changed, though.
    > >> http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    > >Ok I'm liking 40tude Dialog a lot better than any of them. And I'm

    seeing
    > >the slow message pull-up as an XP thing, because it's slow in there also.

    > 1. How many things do you have running at once?
    >
    > Check what's necessary and what isn't
    > http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    > http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
    > http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
    >
    > Services Guide for Windows XP
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
    >
    > Windows XP Service Configurations
    > http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >
    > Windows XP Strange Service Information
    > http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm
    >

    > 2. Have you checked your system for malware?
    >
    > Download, update and use *all* of the following:
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > SpyBot S&D guide
    > http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > Spyware Blaster
    > http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    >
    > CWShredder
    > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    > http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip
    >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks for the links. I ran all the spyware programs and found a bunch of
    Gator stuff, but it didn't fix the problem. What I'm probably going to have
    to do is do some research and uninstall one of the SP 1 or 2's that is
    causing this...

    Jenn, Dec 31, 2003
  12. Jenn

    gangle Guest