    stumbling block here should I want to go to a much more up to date
    setup.

    Thanks!

    Hp, Mar 26, 2008

  2. Hp

    Hp Guest

    Ok, I managed to refine my search terms and begun to see some info
    that might help.

    maybe the right motherboard and the AMD Athlon X2 5600+ or 6000+ will
    work with win 2K and AGP video, this would scream compaired to this
    AMD XP 1900+ ??

    Remembering that everything I am currently doing does run and work
    with my old box still.

    Hp, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Hp

    Paul Guest

    Hp wrote:
    > Ok, I managed to refine my search terms and begun to see some info
    > that might help.
    >
    > maybe the right motherboard and the AMD Athlon X2 5600+ or 6000+ will
    > work with win 2K and AGP video, this would scream compaired to this
    > AMD XP 1900+ ??
    >
    > Remembering that everything I am currently doing does run and work
    > with my old box still.

    There are only a few AGP motherboards listed on Newegg, for AM2 or
    LGA775 (the current AMD and Intel desktop sockets). The boards
    are cheap and the comments aren't entirely encouraging. Your choice of
    course, if you want to go that way (AGP).

    As for Win2K, you do have some planning to do. Win2K is on life support,
    as far as some manufacturers are concerned. For example, I was interested
    in one of the latest AGP cards the other day, at least until I found out
    that the drivers are for WinXP only. So some hardware makers are cutting support
    for Win2K. Also, a number of games recently, won't install or won't work
    properly on Win2K (that is what I'm using). It takes some fiddling around,
    and editing files with a hex editor. So the writing is on the wall, in
    terms of the level of support for Win2K. You can probably easily continue
    to use it, but you will also receive nagging reminders that its time has
    passed. Finding out I couldn't upgrade my video card, sent that message
    pretty strongly. WinXP will be available for purchase until June (or until
    remaining stocks are depleted), and other than that, you're left with Vista.
    (Or some other OS alternative, if you aren't interested in games.)

    Of course the processor will be faster. But not every activity, allows
    the extra speed of the CPU to be evident. When I compare my 3000MHz
    current processor and system, to the way a system at 1MHz used to behave,
    the behavior is not 3000 times faster. It would be a blur if that was the
    case. Delays are added, so that you can remain in control of the screen,
    and not have it scroll too fast. So the way the software is designed,
    prevents your system from becoming too "snappy". One thing you should notice,
    though, with dual cores, is the desktop will seem "smoother", with fewer
    jerky moments or arbitrary delays.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Hp

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <fsen0u$4ni$>, Paul <> scribeth
    thus
    >Hp wrote:
    >> Ok, I managed to refine my search terms and begun to see some info
    >> that might help.
    >>
    >> maybe the right motherboard and the AMD Athlon X2 5600+ or 6000+ will
    >> work with win 2K and AGP video, this would scream compaired to this
    >> AMD XP 1900+ ??
    >>
    >> Remembering that everything I am currently doing does run and work
    >> with my old box still.

    >There are only a few AGP motherboards listed on Newegg, for AM2 or
    >LGA775 (the current AMD and Intel desktop sockets). The boards
    >are cheap and the comments aren't entirely encouraging. Your choice of
    >course, if you want to go that way (AGP).
    >
    >As for Win2K, you do have some planning to do. Win2K is on life support,
    >as far as some manufacturers are concerned. For example, I was interested
    >in one of the latest AGP cards the other day, at least until I found out
    >that the drivers are for WinXP only.

    But for most everything else its fine and dandy still.

    Still run a 1.7 Ghz AMD here but with maxed out RAM and run some 100
    plus engineering programmes including radio surveying ones which need a
    lot of processor power but it still ticks fine and seems no slower than
    the wife's Vister powered machine!..

    >So some hardware makers are cutting support
    >for Win2K. Also, a number of games recently, won't install or won't work
    >properly on Win2K (that is what I'm using). It takes some fiddling around,
    >and editing files with a hex editor. So the writing is on the wall, in
    >terms of the level of support for Win2K. You can probably easily continue
    >to use it, but you will also receive nagging reminders that its time has
    >passed. Finding out I couldn't upgrade my video card, sent that message
    >pretty strongly. WinXP will be available for purchase until June (or until
    >remaining stocks are depleted), and other than that, you're left with Vista.

    >(Or some other OS alternative, if you aren't interested in games.)

    Indeed.

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 27, 2008
  5. Hp

    Guest

    On 26 Mar, 22:50, Hp <> wrote:
    > I am thinking I want/need to upgrade from an older PC.
    > (and have a tax check coming)
    > I think I am hoping to keep using Win 2000 Pro (because I actually
    > own a legal copy) and the decent 8X AGP video card I have
    > (since I don't play too many games).
    >
    > I like the AMP line of CPU's.
    > BUT thats not locked in stone
    >
    > So, what speed/type CPU, dual core ?? and motherboard would allow
    > me to have a faster machine then this AMD XP 1900+ on an ASUS
    > motherboard and avoid this issue another 3-5 years?
    >
    > What I haven't discovered yet is whether the win 2000 is my major
    > stumbling block here should I want to go to a much more up to date
    > setup.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Any faster computer, AMD or Intel - that includes anything you
    mentioned - will be able to run windows 2000.
    And just to check, I checked the Asus page, looked at one of their
    latest model motherboards, and they had chipset drivers going back
    before to win2k, to DOS.

    My machines are quite old and have AGP. And I am not up on the latest
    stuff. But if it is the case that newer motherboards do not have AGP
    sockets. Or some problem of that nature, in that they don`t take your
    card.
    then you can get a PCI one.
    Glad to hear you aren`t a gamer. I bought some cheap AGP graphics
    cards for less than £10 on ebay. PCI wouldn`t cost a fortune. I would
    guess a similar price.

    I don`t know much about the latest machines, but last time I checked,
    AMD had the Athlon X2 and intel had the Core 2 Duo. Some Athlon 64 X2
    processors had very fast ratings e.g. Athlon 64 X2 6000+. Not sure
    if core 2 duo processors beat them all. Look for core 2 duo Vs Athlon
    X2
    I know that AMD were ahead, but then the core duo or core 2 duo came
    out, and kicked its ass. But then maybe the rating went way up (like
    up to 6000) on the Athlon 64 X2, to fight back. I don:t really follow
    it much..

    15 years ago I used to get magazines, that was a great way to keep up
    to date.
    But magazines just screw you.. With internet access you realised they
    were screwing you. Since then one method I found was useful was to
    go into a BIG computer store and note down all the models they are
    selling, so you get a good idea of what is on the market. Then google
    around to learn about how they rate against each other in terms of
    speed.

    Forget pentium "dual core". Forget Pentium. What happened was, Intel
    P4 were competing with AMD Athlon XP. P4 Northwood 2.8Ghz was
    fine..
    Then I think P4 came up with the prescott 3GHz, and they ran very
    hot. AMD ruled for a while.. dual core may have appeared around that
    time. AMD`s equivalent Athlon 64 X2 is better and is even put against
    the core 2 duo .
    That is very sketchy.. And prob very wrong in parts.. But if looking
    at a new, faster computer, then know that the whole Pentium name is
    old.
    Core 2 duo is fast.. and not called Pentium.

    , Mar 31, 2008
  6. Hp

    Guest

    On 31 Mar, 20:14, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On 26 Mar, 22:50, Hp <> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>

    regarding win2k.

    the programs and devices you are currently using with win2k, you can
    continue to use with your new machine.
    (apart from the possible issue with the AGP graphics card and your new
    machine)

    you may want to get a newer version of windows anyway.. So you are
    familiar with it.
    And of course if you want new apps and devices.. you -may- have
    trouble finding drivers.

    But the motherboard you get will support it. And basic components like
    hard drive , RAM, work without drivers. CD drive has a firmware driver
    but that is not windows related. Graphics card - asusming it matches
    a slot, prob can use generic windows drivers. (my cheap ones
    certainly can).

    , Mar 31, 2008