Still having trouble with USB and new motherboard.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by michaelplaw, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. michaelplaw

    michaelplaw Guest

    Hi there,

    Here's my new spec:

    Athlon XP 2600+
    Gigabyte GA -7VA motherboard
    256 meg of ram
    Windows 98.

    I've transferred my hard drive over to my new computer and all my old
    programs/hardware run fine expect my USB joystick and webcam which dont work

    My new case has two USB ports at the front, two at the back and two more
    USB2 ports which I've disabled in the BIOS.

    In device manager all it shows under Universal Serial Bus is 3 x USB Root
    Hub and 3 x VIA VT83C572 PCI to USB
    Universal Host controllers.

    When I connect a USB device I get the infamous blue screen of death with the
    error.
    If I leave the device connected and reboot, I get a windows protection
    fault.

    'A fatal 0E has occured at 0028:FF046D36 in vxd usbhub(05) + 00000a26

    If I leave the device connected and reboot, I get a windows protection
    fault.

    I've updated windows 98 accordingly but still no luck.

    Anyone got any ideas as this is completely doing my head in.

    Cheers.
    michaelplaw, Aug 19, 2003

  2. michaelplaw

    °Mike° Guest

    See if the information here can help:

    http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/137.html

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:37:14 +0100, in
    <fTu0b.261$>
    michaelplaw scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 19, 2003

  3. michaelplaw

    Billy Guest

    First suspect would be the drivers for the devices are causing memory
    conflicts. Have you checked for new drivers, completely uninstalled
    and removed these devices, and then reinstalled? Then try this next.
    Just to be sure download the latest 4 in 1 and USB 2.0 drivers from
    their support link. Save them to the desktop.
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-7VA.htm
    This may vary in technique, check for any readme documentation with
    the downloaded files.
    Go into the BIOS and enable your USB 2.0 ports. Boot into Safe Mode
    (tap the f8 key). Open Device Manager and Disable the USB controllers.
    Remove all other USB devices listed. Open Control Panel and remove any
    USB programs listed. If your machine is (has) screaming for a reboot,
    allow it to now, return to Safe Mode. Install the drivers according to
    their readme files. Running the executable in safe mode should unpack
    the files to a default (specify location) location or launch the
    install. You may need to enable the USB hubs first, canceling the
    windows install.
    Good Luck.

    Billy, Aug 19, 2003
  4. michaelplaw

    Paul - xxx Guest

    michaelplaw tried to scribble ...

    > My new case has two USB ports at the front, two at the back and two
    > more USB2 ports which I've disabled in the BIOS.

    I'd try it with everything enabled first ..

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Seti 1916 wu in 14611 hours
    Paul - xxx, Aug 19, 2003
  5. michaelplaw

    Billy Guest

    Go to the link and you may download them for all except XP, those are
    available with SP1.

    "kerplunKuK" <> wrote in
    message news:3f429e9a$0$11386$...
    > USB 2.0 drivers cannot be downloaded, they are supplied with devices

    only.

    Billy, Aug 20, 2003