still dropping off

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Devo, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Devo

    Devo Guest

    Have installed second modem and still have the problem of the modem
    downloading a few (2-4) pages of internet then stopping even though it is
    connected and still pings data every 2 sec. Also I am able to post and
    download email and posts no worries. This is a real mystery as I can usually
    pin things down to some item. Installed Netscape as well but no difference!
    thanks.
    sys specs follow.:

    SiSoftware Sandra

    System
    Host Name : PAVILION
    User : Domain : HEWLETTPACKARD

    Processor
    Model : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
    Speed : 500MHz
    Performance Rating : PR500 (estimated)
    Type : Standard

    Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : No
    MP APIC : No
    System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.06
    Mainboard : Asus P5S-VM
    Total Memory : 123MB SDRAM

    Chipset 1
    Model : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS530 CPU to PCI Bridge
    L2 External Cache : 512kB Pipeline-Burst Write-Back
    Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 100MHz (100MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 128MB SDRAM
    Shared Memory : 4MB

    Video System
    Monitor/Panel : HP D5259A Pavilion M70 Monitor
    Monitor/Panel : HP D5259A Pavilion M70 Monitor
    Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
    Adapter : 3dfx Voodoo3
    Adapter : 3dfx Voodoo3 with DX7.0 Support
    Adapter : SiS 530

    Physical Storage Devices
    Hard Disk : GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01
    Hard Disk : IOMEGA ZIP 100
    Hard Disk : GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
    CD-ROM/DVD : MITSUMI CD-ROM FX4821T!A

    Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
    Hp_pavilion (C:) : 7.9GB (1.8GB, 23% Free) (FAT32)
    Removable Drive (D:) : N/A
    Hp_app_recovery (M:) : 233MB (0MB, 0% Free) (CDFS)

    Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

    Communication Device(s)
    Device : Parallel cable on LPT1
    Device : Serial cable on COM1
    Device : Serial cable on COM2
    Device : Standard Modem

    Printers and Faxes
    Model : EPSON Stylus COLOR 400

    Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows 98 Version 4.10.2222 A
    DOS System : Microsoft MS-DOS Version 7.10 A

    Network Adapter(s)
    Network Drivers Enabled : Yes
    Adapter : Dial-Up Adapter
    Adapter : Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
    Adapter : Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    Build 62800.1106

    Devo, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Devo

    Devo Guest

    Have installed second modem and still have the problem of the modem
    downloading a few (2-4) pages of internet then stopping even though it is
    connected and still pings data every 2 sec. Also I am able to post and
    download email and posts no worries. This is a real mystery as I can usually
    pin things down to some item. Installed netscape as well but no difference!
    thanks.

    PS Each time I reboot the modem downloads up to a meg or so from websites
    then stops again..

    Devo, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Devo

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    "Devo" <> wrote in message news:<bjq1tr$ma7el$-berlin.de>...
    > Have installed second modem and still have the problem of the modem
    > downloading a few (2-4) pages of internet then stopping even though it is
    > connected and still pings data every 2 sec. Also I am able to post and
    > download email and posts no worries. This is a real mystery as I can usually
    > pin things down to some item. Installed Netscape as well but no difference!
    > thanks.

    Dropped connections are usually caused by your modem or poor line
    conditions. If you have tried a new modem, then that leaves your phone
    line.

    Phone Telecom and get a line test. These are the "acceptable limits"
    but you don't want to be too close to the acceptable mark.
    Ground Noise <65DB is acceptable
    Longitudinal Balance >60DB is acceptable
    Circuit Balance <55DB is acceptable
    Metallic <18DB is acceptable

    If it is a v92 modem stip it to v90 with an init like +ms=v90,0. Good
    luck.

    Roger Ramjet, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Devo

    Warwick Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:55:47 -0700, Roger Ramjet wrote:
    >

    > > Dropped connections are usually caused by your modem or poor line
    > > conditions.

    > ... such as shitty phones pulling the line down....
    >
    > > If you have tried a new modem, then that leaves your phone
    > > line.

    > 99% of "line faults"(*) I've analysed are caused by bad phones and Telecom
    > has been quite right to say "not our equipment"
    >
    > On the flipside, when it _is_ their fault(**), they still say that.
    >

    > (*) Manifested by line noise with error correction switched off or by
    > repeated disconnections.
    >

    > (**) Usually desynched clocks on a 2Mb/s link, but they're quite rare
    > these days and give distinctive bursts of line noise when error correction
    > is switched off.

    I've had 2 months of dial up nightmare with a crap line. I was told to take
    all my equipment to a different address and log in from there before they
    would do anything about it.
    Then I was told that I was too close to the exchange(!) and line capacitance
    was too low. 3 weeks later xtra sent me a line suppressor and the drops
    stopped.

    Its all rather odd, where is the fault? It appears to be on my side of the
    telecom line terminator but they are still fixing it. the technician said it
    was a problem related to my Intel Ham modem - which is telepermitted.
    However I have 3 machines with modems here and they are all different modems
    and they all had connection problems.

    cheers
    Warwick

    Warwick, Sep 14, 2003
  5. On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:27:56 -0700, Warwick wrote:

    > Then I was told that I was too close to the exchange(!) and line
    > capacitance was too low. 3 weeks later xtra sent me a line suppressor
    > and the drops stopped.

    IOW your signal was "too loud"

    I've seen this a lot. It tends to happen with Telecom's 0873 numbers as
    they have the terminal servers illegally set to too high a level (3.5dB
    too high) - high
    enough to cause distortion in most modems and random disconnects/fallbacks
    as a result.

    It can also happen if there's a "0+2" splitter on the line as they present
    line levels 3.5dB high under some circumstances.

    > Its all rather odd, where is the fault? It appears to be on my side of
    > the telecom line terminator but they are still fixing it. the technician
    > said it was a problem related to my Intel Ham modem - which is
    > telepermitted.

    If it's an interoperability problem. Try dialling to a line with a known
    analogue modem and see if the problem continues.

    Having said that, these issues are _RARE_(*): Almost all connection
    problems are caused by dodgy phones pulling down the line after a few
    minutes and Telecom branded phones are just as bad as anyone else's.(**)

    Then there's "someone in the house picking up phones and pushing
    buttons"(***) and "call-waiting tones"(****)

    (*) Rare and usually easily spotted. Calls have problems from the outset,
    usually manifesting as things like failing to handshake properly, with 2-4
    rounds of handshaking tones heard, disconnections during startup, etc

    (**) These show up after 3-20 minutes. It's not uncommon to see things
    like "works ok for 20 mins into the first call fro the day, then if I
    redial immediately, each call only lasts 1-2 minutes, reverts to 1st call
    behaviour if left for 5-10 minutes"

    (***) This one is altogether more random. Whoever's responsible is
    normally deliberately killing the call and of they're aware of the
    computer user prowling around the house trying to track problems they'll
    lay doggo on it. I've seen younger sisters picking up the phone and
    holding down numbers until the modem gives up, older brothers whistling
    down the phone and more tech savvy members of the family simply picking up
    and hangin up a phone very 2-3 seconds until they get a dialtone. Leaving
    the modem speaker on picks this up quickly

    (****) This usually manifests as a disconnection followed by an inbound
    call, but it will only happen like this if whoever's calling is prepared
    to wait 10 rings. Stats show most kiwis only wait 4 rings - approx 10-20
    seconds before giving up and it normally takes that long just to kill the
    call.

    Tracing modem call faults is as much art as science. It'd also be a fairly
    steady earner for someone patient and methodical, but most people
    experiencing the problems won't pay for help.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Devo

    Paul Welsh Guest

    >I fixed it by doing a system restore ( and format) with a new 60 gig Maxtor.
    >I wonder which files where corrupt or missing, guess I'll never know.

    It would have been a program you installed before your problems
    My best guess it installed some evil "spyware" program If you havnt
    got Ad-aware 6 I recommend the download
    Didnt think it would be a line fault as the connection wasnt dropping
    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"

    Paul Welsh, Sep 16, 2003