still befuddled by port forwarding

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Steve Richter, May 11, 2005.

  1. ( cisco 831 router. Using Verizon DSL - I dont have a static IP. )

    I have always been able to make progress and eventually solve every
    problem in the computer arena, but I suspect I have met my match in the
    form of the cisco router!

    Port forwarding - it still is not working for me and the more I read
    about it, the more confusing the subject becomes.

    here is the best config document I have found so far:
    http://www.chinalinuxpub.com/doc/www.siliconvalleyccie.com/cisco-hn/dsl-router.htm

    I have read that to use port forwarding I must use static IP addresses
    for all the devices on my LAN.
    http://www.portforward.com/cisco/678.htm
    Is that true? I have set the PC I will use as a web server to a static
    IP, outside the range of the DHCP pool. Should I remove all addresses
    from the DHCP pool?

    When I browse to my web site, using the public IP of the router, where
    the http port is forwarded to my web server PC, I get a network login
    prompt. The PC user name is not accepted. The router user name and
    password are accepted, but then the browser says "page not found". So
    obviously HTTP is not being forwarded to the web server PC.

    Any help is appreciated. What is the key to unlocking the mystery of
    port forwarding on my very basic network??

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 11, 2005

  2. > When I browse to my web site, using the public IP of the router, where
    > the http port is forwarded to my web server PC, I get a network login
    > prompt.

    With what realm? Are you really getting the "web site" of the router, or os
    it really forwarded?

    > The PC user name is not accepted. The router user name and
    > password are accepted, but then the browser says "page not found". So
    > obviously HTTP is not being forwarded to the web server PC.

    Is it?

    > Any help is appreciated. What is the key to unlocking the mystery of
    > port forwarding on my very basic network??

    Seeing your whole config?

    Phillip Remaker, May 11, 2005

  3. Steve Richter

    Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Richter <> wrote:
    >When I browse to my web site, using the public IP of the router, where
    >the http port is forwarded to my web server PC, I get a network login
    >prompt. The PC user name is not accepted. The router user name and
    >password are accepted, ...

    I'm not familiar with the 831 but it sounds like you've got some kind
    of HTTP server running on it thats sucking up any HTTP packet.

    Try disabling the HTTP server to see if it will pass 'em thru.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Rod Dorman, May 11, 2005
  4. Rod Dorman wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Steve Richter <> wrote:
    > >When I browse to my web site, using the public IP of the router,

    where
    > >the http port is forwarded to my web server PC, I get a network

    login
    > >prompt. The PC user name is not accepted. The router user name and
    > >password are accepted, ...

    > I'm not familiar with the 831 but it sounds like you've got some kind
    > of HTTP server running on it thats sucking up any HTTP packet.
    >
    > Try disabling the HTTP server to see if it will pass 'em thru.

    I shut down everything on the LAN except 10.10.10.161 ( the web server
    PC ). Then from that PC I visited the web page thru the public IP of
    the router. Got the same result. Page not found, had to first login
    using the router username and password.

    Dont understand why this is so difficult. I have done a minimal config
    of this router thru its web interface. The port forwarding config was
    simple - just enter the ip address of the PC that HTTP is forwarded to.

    I am open to any ideas.

    thanks,

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 11, 2005
  5. Steve Richter

    Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Richter <> wrote:
    >Rod Dorman wrote:
    >> I'm not familiar with the 831 but it sounds like you've got some kind
    >> of HTTP server running on it thats sucking up any HTTP packet.
    >>
    >> Try disabling the HTTP server to see if it will pass 'em thru.

    >I shut down everything on the LAN except 10.10.10.161 ( the web server
    >PC ).

    I was talking about shutting down the HTTP server on the router.

    >Then from that PC I visited the web page thru the public IP of
    >the router. Got the same result. Page not found, had to first login
    >using the router username and password.

    I don't understand. If you're in your private network use the private
    address to access it.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Rod Dorman, May 12, 2005
  6. Rod Dorman wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Steve Richter <> wrote:
    > >Rod Dorman wrote:
    > >> I'm not familiar with the 831 but it sounds like you've got some

    kind
    > >> of HTTP server running on it thats sucking up any HTTP packet.
    > >>
    > >> Try disabling the HTTP server to see if it will pass 'em thru.

    > >I shut down everything on the LAN except 10.10.10.161 ( the web

    server
    > >PC ).

    > I was talking about shutting down the HTTP server on the router.

    How do I shut down the HTTP server on the router?

    > >Then from that PC I visited the web page thru the public IP of
    > >the router. Got the same result. Page not found, had to first

    login
    > >using the router username and password.

    > I don't understand. If you're in your private network use the private
    > address to access it.

    I am testing. Can I connect to a port forwarded port on my lan using
    the router's public IP address?

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 12, 2005
  7. Steve Richter

    Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Richter <> wrote:

    >Rod Dorman wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Steve Richter <> wrote:

    >kind

    >> >I shut down everything on the LAN except 10.10.10.161 ( the web

    >server
    >> >PC ).

    >> I was talking about shutting down the HTTP server on the router.

    >How do I shut down the HTTP server on the router?

    Assuming its a IOS based router
    no ip http server
    should do it.

    >I am testing. Can I connect to a port forwarded port on my lan using
    >the router's public IP address?

    Search the archives for NAT on a stick.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Rod Dorman, May 12, 2005
  8. Rod Dorman wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Steve Richter <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Rod Dorman wrote:
    > >> In article

    <>,

    some
    > >kind

    > >server
    > >>
    > >> I was talking about shutting down the HTTP server on the router.

    > >How do I shut down the HTTP server on the router?

    > Assuming its a IOS based router
    > no ip http server
    > should do it.

    worth the try. after shutting down the HTTP server I tried to get to
    the page with the browser. Because the HTTP server in the router was
    down I did not get the login prompt. The results were the same - page
    not found. HTTP is not being forwarded for some reason.

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 12, 2005
  9. On 12 May 2005 12:59:38 -0700, "Steve Richter"
    <> wrote:
    > after shutting down the HTTP server I tried to get to
    >the page with the browser. Because the HTTP server in the router was
    >down I did not get the login prompt. The results were the same - page
    >not found. HTTP is not being forwarded for some reason.

    I just had the opportunity to try this on my 804. Turns out that when
    you enter:

    ip nat inside source static tcp 10.1.1.8 80 interface Dialer1 80

    what you are doing is forwarding only web requests that enter the
    router via Dialer1. If you send a web request from a host on your
    "inside" interface, it enters the router from (probably) Ethernet0,
    which has no route to your port forwarding destination. I imagine you
    could create a route... But testing that way would prove nothing
    about accessibility from "outside". You must connect via some other
    ISP port to test "outside" access.

    Loren

    Loren Amelang, May 13, 2005