Sticky learning and variable MAC address on Win XP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sam Wilson, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Sam Wilson

    Sam Wilson Guest

    Hi Foks,
    I've been Googling for this but not found anything that helps. On
    one of our networks we use Catalysts with sticky learning to limit the
    changes of MAC addresses that can occur - we get the first one and then
    require intervention when it needs to be changed. It's a halfway house
    to registering and configuring all MAC addresses.

    It appears that WinXP does strange things on startup, probably setting
    the locally administered bit in the MAC address initially before
    settling down with the burnt in address. Obviously this causes
    problems with the sticky learning because the Catalyst port shuts
    itself down when the MAC address changes to the properly registered
    one. Does anyone know why this happens and if anything can be done
    about it?

    Thanks,

    Sam Wilson
    Infrastructure Services Division
    Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Sam Wilson, Nov 3, 2003