Stick-On Labels Cause DVDs and CDs to Skip

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by harvey_twyman@yahoo.com, May 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Various Forums have suggested that when recording your own DVDs and CDs
    that "Skipping" and "Stalling" can occur if "Stick-On Labels" are used.

    Various people have commented that by removing the label from a
    skipping disk the disk then plays normally again. Therefore I'd like
    make a few "Technical" suggestions as to why the label could be causing
    this problem.

    There are at least 2 theories:

    1/ Wobble

    The label may be placed slightly off-center thus causing the disk to
    wobble more. The laser scanning the disk has the ability to focus the
    laser beam on the disk. However the wobble is at a greater rate than
    the mechanism can track - hence data corruption.

    Observation:

    Disks with labels seem to perform better with less problems when used
    in "PC DVD and CD Drives".

    My theory would be that PC DVD and CD Drives rotate "Faster" than DVD
    and CD players. PCs can copy disks at many times the normal play rate.

    This is indicated on the drive by statements like " X40 " meaning it
    can read the disk 40 times faster than normal play. Thus in this
    example a 40 minute CD would read in 1 minute.

    This higher "Rotation Speed" makes the "Centrifugal Force" on the disk
    greater thus keeping the disk more "Rigid" and wobble less.

    I've found that DVDs tend to skip more towards the "Middle" and "End"
    of the video - not so much at the beginning.

    DVDs and CDs are recorded from the "Inside" - outwards. Therefore the
    wobble would be more pronounced on the outside of the disk as it is
    further away from the support of the disk's "Clamping Mechanism".

    Other observers have suggested that the wobble makes the "Drive
    Bearings" hotter thus linking it with Theory Number 2" below...

    2/ Temperature

    The disk label prevents the top of the disk from "Radiating Heat".

    The laser hitting the disk causes local heating. The disk rotation
    causes "Eddy Currents" to form which take away the heat from both
    sides.

    This is called "Scrubbing" and is the same effect that keeps hard disk
    drives cool and clean. Dust particles are also scrubbed away and attach
    themselves to a "Scrubbing Filter" within the sealed enclosure.

    However with one side of the DVD insulated by a paper label there will
    be a "Temperature Difference" between one side and the other. This
    causes the disk to warm up.

    The data is stored in a very thin "Aluminum" layer and being metal
    expands. This expansion may then be the cause of data corruption and
    skipping.

    Observation:

    Cold DVDs work more reliably but if played or exposed to higher
    temperatures like in a car for example, will skip more if they have
    labels on.

    Comments and more suggestions related to these theories please.

    Harvey Twyman
    CV: http://www.twyman.org.uk/CV

    , May 9, 2005

  2. RichA Guest

    On 9 May 2005 02:16:02 -0700, wrote:

> [...]
    >sides.
    >
    >This is called "Scrubbing" and is the same effect that keeps hard disk
    >drives cool and clean. Dust particles are also scrubbed away and attach
    >themselves to a "Scrubbing Filter" within the sealed enclosure.
    >
    >However with one side of the DVD insulated by a paper label there will
    >be a "Temperature Difference" between one side and the other. This
    >causes the disk to warm up.
    >
    >The data is stored in a very thin "Aluminum" layer and being metal
    >expands. This expansion may then be the cause of data corruption and
    >skipping.
    >
    >Observation:
    >
    >Cold DVDs work more reliably but if played or exposed to higher
    >temperatures like in a car for example, will skip more if they have
    >labels on.
    >

    >Comments and more suggestions related to these theories please.

    Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.
    -Rich

    RichA, May 9, 2005

  3. unclejr Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.

    DVDs? Yes, most certainly. I've had numerous problems in this arena
    and choose to use a plain old Sharpie to label my DVD-Rs.

    CDs? No, I've not experienced a problem with the playback of a CD-R
    with sticker artwork affixed to it. It is my understanding that the
    reason for this is that the slower RPM and wider data pits of a CD (as
    compared to a DVD) allow it to be more tolerant of weight imbalance.

    Just my $0.02 worth,

    -Junior

    unclejr, May 9, 2005
  4. Biz Guest

    Labels on cds cause problems in the majority of slot loading players, like
    what in most cars these days. Its best to avoid labels altogether and just
    use an approved permanent marker or an actual media printer like the Epson
    R2xx and 3xx series among others.

    Biz, May 9, 2005
  5. Bill Turner Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:31:42 -0400, RichA <> wrote:

    >Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.
    >-Rich

    Actually, an idiot would never think to put a stick-on label on a CD, so
    therefore, nobody would put a stick-on label on a CD. Problem solved.
    :)

    --
    BT

    Bill Turner, May 10, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Various Forums have suggested that when recording your own DVDs and CDs
    >that "Skipping" and "Stalling" can occur if "Stick-On Labels" are used.

    >Various people have commented that by removing the label from a
    >skipping disk the disk then plays normally again. Therefore I'd like
    >make a few "Technical" suggestions as to why the label could be causing
    >this problem.

    >There are at least 2 theories:

    >1/ Wobble

    >The label may be placed slightly off-center thus causing the disk to
    >wobble more. The laser scanning the disk has the ability to focus the
    >laser beam on the disk. However the wobble is at a greater rate than
    >the mechanism can track - hence data corruption.

    >Observation:

    >Disks with labels seem to perform better with less problems when used
    >in "PC DVD and CD Drives".

    >My theory would be that PC DVD and CD Drives rotate "Faster" than DVD
    >and CD players. PCs can copy disks at many times the normal play rate.

    >This is indicated on the drive by statements like " X40 " meaning it
    >can read the disk 40 times faster than normal play. Thus in this
    >example a 40 minute CD would read in 1 minute.

    >This higher "Rotation Speed" makes the "Centrifugal Force" on the disk
    >greater thus keeping the disk more "Rigid" and wobble less.

    Actually if the label isn't of even consistancy across it's width
    and/or it is even if it is slightyl off-center, the faster it goes
    the more vibration there will be it. It's just like unbalanced
    tires on a car. No problem as slow speed but they start shaking
    the faster they go.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, May 10, 2005
  7. Joe Blow Guest

    wrote:

    > Various Forums have suggested that when recording your own DVDs and CDs
    > that "Skipping" and "Stalling" can occur if "Stick-On Labels" are used.
    >
    > Various people have commented that by removing the label from a
    > skipping disk the disk then plays normally again. Therefore I'd like
    > make a few "Technical" suggestions as to why the label could be causing
    > this problem.
    >
    > There are at least 2 theories:
    >

    > 1/ Wobble
    >
    > The label may be placed slightly off-center thus causing the disk to
    > wobble more. The laser scanning the disk has the ability to focus the
    > laser beam on the disk. However the wobble is at a greater rate than
    > the mechanism can track - hence data corruption.
    >
    > Observation:
    >
    > Disks with labels seem to perform better with less problems when used
    > in "PC DVD and CD Drives".
    >
    > My theory would be that PC DVD and CD Drives rotate "Faster" than DVD
    > and CD players. PCs can copy disks at many times the normal play rate.

    Actually, my experience with labeled DVDs is that they fail in my
    computer DVD drives, but will more likely play in a stand-alone
    DVD player. However, some labeled DVDs, previously playable without
    a label, fail no matter what kind of drive I put it in.

    I quit labeling DVDs altogether. The best solution, if one is so
    inclined, is simply to buy inkjet-printable DVDs and buy a cheapie
    printer like the Epson r200 (now selling for a paltry 50 bucks).

    I'll also add that my favorite inkjet-printable DVDs are the G4 Riteks.
    I have not had a single bad burn with them, among hundreds.

    JB

    Joe Blow, May 10, 2005
  8. RichA Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 19:39:45 -0700, Bill Turner <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:31:42 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >>Only an idiot would put a stick on label on a DVD or CD.
    >>-Rich

    >Actually, an idiot would never think to put a stick-on label on a CD, so
    >therefore, nobody would put a stick-on label on a CD. Problem solved.
    >:)

    For those who absolutely must label CDs and DVDs, you
    can buy printable ones and a printer to do it.
    -Rich

    RichA, May 10, 2005