    my 7year-old IBM 300GE. reinstalled 98se, now,i only have choice of 2 or 16
    color. how do i get 256 color. would appreciate any help.

    , Nov 3, 2004

  2. Doom Guest

    "" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    >i am a computer novice. a friend just stripped, & refomatted the harddrive
    >on
    > my 7year-old IBM 300GE. reinstalled 98se, now,i only have choice of 2 or
    > 16
    > color. how do i get 256 color. would appreciate any help.

    Install the video driver.

    Doom, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Jason Guest

    Or...for less than $250 you could build a completely new system. Look up
    www.priecwatch.com and www.newegg.com (I like newegg best) for parts and you
    can build the whole thing yourself. Great way to gain hands on exposure for
    A+ hardware and the real world of PC troubleshooting! Take off that novice
    belt and dig in.

    Assuming you have a PS2 KB, mouse and monitor, a bare bones PC includes the
    following (and the lowball end of the price range):

    Case $25
    M/B $35
    CPU $50
    PS $25
    RAM $50
    CD $50
    FD $15 (optional - for $75 you could get a CD/RW that writes media
    eliminating need for fd)

    Total $250

    Easy justification in this expense as you are gaining a HUGE amount of
    knowledge. Good luck.

    Jason
    [/advice]

    Jason, Nov 3, 2004