Stereoscopic NGC3603

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tontoko, Feb 26, 2007.

  1. tontoko

    tontoko Guest

    tontoko, Feb 26, 2007

  2. tontoko

    Rutger Guest

    Rutger, Feb 26, 2007

  3. tontoko

    Mick Harris Guest

    "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    news:45e2f87c$0$13546$2.nl...
    > "tontoko" <> schreef in bericht
    >> In the following website;
    >>
    >> http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2293
    >>
    >> the image shown is the stereograph of NGC3603 synthesized by
    >> Stereographer
    >> (http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereographer/stereograph.htm /
    >> original image: HST).

    > I'm seeing (whyle squinting) the stars in front of the nebula wich does'nt
    > seem right to me, or am i missing something?
    >
    > Rutger
    >

    > --
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager

    Looks good to me tontoko.
    Rutger, you have to look at it with a "cross-eyed squint" rather than just a
    squint lol.
    Stare at the point where the images meet and you should see it in 3D after a
    while.
    Mick

    Mick Harris, Feb 26, 2007
  4. tontoko

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2293

    > I'm seeing (whyle squinting) the stars in front of the nebula wich does'nt
    > seem right to me, or am i missing something?

    It's a pseudo stereo algorithm that gets interesting, but often inaccurate
    results. These are wall-eyed stereograms. I'm seeing most of the stars
    behind the nebula. Because the algorithm converts color saturation and
    contrast to distance, in areas where the nebula is dense, the stars are
    drawn toward the viewer. Stars against a black background are shown at the
    greatest distance.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Feb 26, 2007
  5. tontoko

    tontoko Guest

    On Feb 27, 5:31 am, "Mick Harris" <> wrote:
    > "Rutger" <> wrote in message

    > > "tontoko" <> schreef in bericht
    > >> In the following website;

    > >>http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=...

    > >> the image shown is the stereograph of NGC3603 synthesized by
    > >> Stereographer
    > >> (http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereographer/stereograph.htm/
    > >> original image: HST).

    > > I'm seeing (whyle squinting) the stars in front of the nebula wich does'nt
    > > seem right to me, or am i missing something?

    > > Rutger

    > > --
    > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager

    > Looks good to metontoko.
    > Rutger, you have to look at it with a "cross-eyed squint" rather than just a
    > squint lol.
    > Stare at the point where the images meet and you should see it in 3D after a
    > while.
    > Mick- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you for your kind direction. However I must tell you that anyway
    my method can not provide correct perspective regarding stars. Because
    my method is based on evaluating the dimness around each pixel on the
    image and in general the dimness of star is irrelevant with the
    distance from the earth for any telescope. Regarding nebula, the
    dimness seen on it is thought to be (partially) reflected by the
    distance from other part of the nebula.

    tontoko, Mar 3, 2007
  6. tontoko

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:12:01 +0100, Rutger wrote:

    > "tontoko" <> schreef in bericht
    >> In the following website;
    >>
    >> http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2293
    >>
    >> the image shown is the stereograph of NGC3603 synthesized by
    >> Stereographer
    >> (http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereographer/stereograph.htm /
    >> original image: HST).

    > I'm seeing (whyle squinting) the stars in front of the nebula wich does'nt
    > seem right to me, or am i missing something?

    No, you're viewing it correctly. I also see the stars in the
    foreground. But there's another way to view it that provides a much
    more natural appearance, with many of the stars shifting to the
    background. Instead of squinting with eyes crossed, as if the
    images were closer to you than the screen, you have to change the
    angle of your eyes, as if you were looking at something in the far
    distance, well behind your monitor. This will swap the image that
    each eye sees. It's also much more difficult to accomplish, and I
    couldn't manage it with the default image size on the screen because
    my eyes aren't that far apart and I can't (yet) cause them to
    diverge. By shrinking the size of the screen image it becomes
    possible, but still takes more effort than using a cross-eyed
    squint. I think that if the images were swapped left-to-right,
    squinting would produce the more natural result. You could do this
    with a decent image editor, or you could just print the image, cut
    it into two pieces and swap their positions.

    ASAAR, Mar 3, 2007
  7. tontoko

    ASAAR Guest

    On 3 Mar 2007 03:19:18 -0800, tontoko wrote:

    > Thank you for your kind direction. However I must tell you that anyway
    > my method can not provide correct perspective regarding stars. Because
    > my method is based on evaluating the dimness around each pixel on the
    > image and in general the dimness of star is irrelevant with the
    > distance from the earth for any telescope. Regarding nebula, the
    > dimness seen on it is thought to be (partially) reflected by the
    > distance from other part of the nebula.

    See the other reply that I just posted. If you swap the positions
    of the images I think you'll get a more natural appearing result.

    ASAAR, Mar 3, 2007
  8. tontoko

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Mar 3, 2007
  9. tontoko

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <45e9e558$0$14058$>, Ray Fischer
    <> wrote:

    > tontoko <> wrote:
    > >In the following website;
    > >
    > >http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2293
    > >
    > >the image shown is the stereograph of NGC3603 synthesized by
    > >Stereographer

    > That means it's not really a stereo image at all but is really a
    > faked stereo image.

    Ayup.

    It also means that the spamvertisements of his software have exceeded a
    BI of 20 in a 45 day period, and can now technically and accurately be
    called spam, not just noted as highly irritating. If I was still
    actively despammming usenet, I'd be canceling his posts from now on
    until they fell back under a BI of 20.

    Unfortunately, he posts through Google Groups, known across usenet as
    having one of the lamest and most unresponsive abuse department in the
    world.

    However, unmannedspaceflight.com has the following information, whcih
    you can use to complain about this continuing spammer:
    Registrant:
    Douglas Ellison +44.1162839376
    32 Aylestone Drive
    Leicester,LE,GB LE2 8QD

    Administrator:
    name:(Douglas Ellison)
    Email:() tel-- +44.1162839376
    32 Aylestone Drive
    Leicester, LE, GB
    zipcode:LE2 8QD

    Technical Contactor:
    name:(DNS-admin)
    Email:() tel-- +1.2063501777
    DNSPROTECT.COM
    104 6th Street, Suite B
    Billing Contactor:
    name:(Douglas Ellison)
    Email:() tel-- +44.1162839376
    [empty]
    32 Aylestone Drive
    Registration Service Provider:
    name: DNSPROTECT.COM
    tel: 206-350-1777
    fax: 206-350-1766
    web:http://www.dnsprotect.com

    unmannedspaceflight.com has IP: 72.9.234.170

    last 4 hops of traceroute:
    6 gnax.ge2-3.br01.atl01.pccwbtn.net
    7 core-b.gnax.net (209.51.149.109)
    8 l3-atl-5.gnax.net (209.51.131.98)