Stereoscopic Lagoon Nebula

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tontoko, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. tontoko

    tontoko Guest

    tontoko, Feb 6, 2007

  2. tontoko

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    tontoko <> wrote:

    > In the following website;
    >
    > http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2379
    >
    > the image shown is the stereograph of Lagoon Nebula synthesized by
    > Stereographer
    > (http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereographer/stereograph.htm /
    > original image: HST).

    ENOUGH!

    Stop bombarding this group with your links to badly faked-up
    "steroscopic" images, and the articles containing them which are
    obviously nothing more than spamvertisements for your damn software.

    As others have pointed out several times, even at the extremes of
    Earth's orbit, the views wouldn't give enough parallax to create a
    genuine stereoscopic image, so there's no way your software can even
    approach doing so accurately for reality.

    Can't you tell from the lack of response in the 3+ years that you've
    been annoying these groups (I find your first post back in 12/04) that
    virtually nobody here's even interested, especially as you don't seem
    to be interested in any sort of participation in these groups except
    for your posting self-serving ads?

    Crawl back under your stereoscopic rock.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Feb 6, 2007

  3. On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:36:00 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ken Lucke
    <> wrote:

    >ENOUGH!

    Yes, just killfile the OP and not repost his message and the links. If you
    and others who feel the need to reply to such articles when it most likely
    is certain the OP is not reading the replies would stop, then these threads
    would die quicker death in everyone's killfile. Otherwise all you are doing
    is punishing the rest of us.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 6, 2007
  4. These images are fake, but I must point
    out that true stereoscopic images of almost all planetary nebulae and
    some galactic emission nebulae can in fact be produced.

    This is because there is a strong correlation between position
    and velocity, especially in planetary nebulae. Velocity can
    be measured at many points in the nebula and used to
    reconstruct a more or less full 3D picture of the thing.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Feb 6, 2007
  5. tontoko

    Doug Robbins Guest

    "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald@SnPoAM_scs.uiuc.edu> wrote in message

    > These images are fake, but I must point
    > out that true stereoscopic images of almost all planetary nebulae and
    > some galactic emission nebulae can in fact be produced.
    >
    > This is because there is a strong correlation between position
    > and velocity, especially in planetary nebulae. Velocity can
    > be measured at many points in the nebula and used to
    > reconstruct a more or less full 3D picture of the thing.
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    Wrong, as usual.

    Doug Robbins, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Doug Robbins wrote:
    > "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald@SnPoAM_scs.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
    >>
    >> These images are fake, but I must point
    >> out that true stereoscopic images of almost all planetary nebulae and
    >> some galactic emission nebulae can in fact be produced.
    >>
    >> This is because there is a strong correlation between position
    >> and velocity, especially in planetary nebulae. Velocity can
    >> be measured at many points in the nebula and used to
    >> reconstruct a more or less full 3D picture of the thing.
    >>
    >> Doug McDonald
    >>

    > Wrong, as usual.

    What do you mean by that "wrong, as usual"? I am indeed right.
    I've been an amateur astronomer for a very long time, and
    am by profession a spectroscopist.

    Care to explain?? Especially the "as usual".

    Doug McDonald

    (Note to the inattentive: read my name CAREFULLY before
    you jerk your knee!)

    Doug McDonald, Feb 9, 2007