stereo, digital, fireworks photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by arpad, Sep 24, 2008.

  1. arpad

    arpad Guest

    I'm back again looking for suggestions on digital cameras for doing
    stereoscopic photography of fireworks.

    I've been doing a bit of research and the requirements seem to come
    down to a relative handful but there's so danged many digital cameras
    out there I'm looking for suggestions about which camera would work.
    Here are the requirements as I now understand them:

    - tripod mount
    - remote release
    - a "fireworks" mode or preferably, manual control
    - very close control of zoom

    The last requirement just popped into my head but I think it is
    crucial.

    Turns out that for stereo about the only thing that can be different
    between the two cameras is their location and even that has
    limitations on it.

    One of the things that has to be the same between both cameras is
    focal length of the lenses. If the focal length is a trifle off the
    stereo effect won't work. For that reason I'd like to use fixed-focus
    lenses but that appears to be out of my price range which is currently
    pegged at "cheap".

    So if anyone's got thoughts on cameras they probably have to be a
    couple of years old.

    Thanks

    Allen
    arpad, Sep 24, 2008

  2. arpad

    Pat Guest

    On Sep 24, 3:45 pm, arpad <> wrote:
    > I'm back again looking for suggestions on digital cameras for doing
    > stereoscopic photography of fireworks.
    >
    > I've been doing a bit of research and the requirements seem to come
    > down to a relative handful but there's so danged many digital cameras
    > out there I'm looking for suggestions about which camera would work.
    > Here are the requirements as I now understand them:
    >
    > - tripod mount
    > - remote release
    > - a "fireworks" mode or preferably, manual control
    > - very close control of zoom
    >
    > The last requirement just popped into my head but I think it is
    > crucial.
    >
    > Turns out that for stereo about the only thing that can be different
    > between the two cameras is their location and even that has
    > limitations on it.
    >
    > One of the things that has to be the same between both cameras is
    > focal length of the lenses. If the focal length is a trifle off the
    > stereo effect won't work. For that reason I'd like to use fixed-focus
    > lenses but that appears to be out of my price range which is currently
    > pegged at "cheap".
    >
    > So if anyone's got thoughts on cameras they probably have to be a
    > couple of years old.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Allen

    I think it would be a LOT simpler to just get a 3d lens for your
    camera. Not only does the zoom have to be exactly the same (which you
    could correct in post-processing if you needed to) but the exposure
    would have to be at exactly the same time. The exposure would be a
    harder trick. 1/10th of a second would be a HUGE difference.
    Pat, Sep 25, 2008

  3. arpad

    Pat Guest

    On Sep 25, 5:17 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    > > On Sep 24, 3:45 pm, arpad <> wrote:
    > >> I'm back again looking for suggestions on digital cameras for doing
    > >> stereoscopic photography of fireworks.

    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    > > I think it would be a LOT simpler to just get a 3d lens for your
    > > camera.

    > I had to google that, so for anyone as ignorant as me:
    >
    > http://www.berezin.com/3D/3d_lens.htm
    >
    >    BugBear

    I've never used their products, but Loreo is one of the bigger
    brands. Good googling.
    Pat, Sep 25, 2008