Steps to setup Wireless security on a home network to internet.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bXBlcnJ5NTU=?=, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. I have a small home network i'm tryiing to setup. It consists of a desktop
    workstation (XP) and the printers connected to it. It is connected via
    ethernet to a D-link 4 port wireless router. The cable modem it connected to
    the WAN conecteion of the router. I have 2 laptops (XP) I am going to connect
    to network with there wireless connection.
    I want to use XP's programs and not a 3rd party.
    >>What steps do I need to do to configure all devices to work together and see each other. (File sharing, Printer sharing and internet connection. please be detailed I'm a tech and not just an end user)
    >> I need to make this as secure as possable with out the addition of more hardware. Please go into detail of what I need to do to enable WEP or WAP which ever you think is more secure. And what I need set on each PC and laptop to protect it.
    >> I've heard so many different things I'm to the point of confusion and not sure what to do.
    >> The main thing is to protect the desktop from being hacked into and personel information being extracted from it. ( Bank account and credit card info). The laptops being able to connect to the internet and use the printers on the desktop.
    >> If keeping the desktop secure means not allowing files and printer sharing we will just have to live with that. Please give me details and step by step instructions

    as much as you can. I worked with PC's and networks a long time but this
    wireless connection and security is new to me. Thank you for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXBlcnJ5NTU=?=, Feb 2, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bXBlcnJ5NTU=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Put all the computers in the same room and configure them to have an
    Internet connection.

    Configure the Wireless to work with the Router but leave the security Off.

    When all the computers can access the Internet, configure each computer File
    Sharing system. http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    When the Internet and sharing works well take care of the Wireless Security.

    General Installation of Network here, http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 3, 2006