Step-by-Step Needed re Download Kodak Easyshare Drivers Only HELP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. I keep reading that I may do a "custom download" of EasyShare and get the drivers only. Will someone please provide step-by-step (DL for Dummies) instruction for me?

    Also, what is it about my Kodak photos in my computer that prevents me from saving them to a CD? Is there a way to fix this? I want to manipulate the photos in PhotoShop. When I downloaded EasyShare (3.2) I was able to transfer the photos but they seem to be somehow formatted or configured in a way that is incompatible with my CD drive.

    Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ross Guest

    What Operating System (OS) are you using?

    How do you normally transfer your photos from the camera to the computer?

    Ross

    Ross, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Hi Ross,

    I am using Windows 98. I recently purchased my camera (Kodak DX 6490) and transferred the photos using the dock hooked to my USB Port. The problem is that the Easyshare software kidnapped my internet connection and made itself the owner/administrator of my photos. All I want to do is the the photos into my computer and save them as JPEGS and be able to do whatever I have normally done with photos in the past (upload them to e-mails, e-bay, down load to CDs, edit in PhotoShop).

    I cannot do any of this ... the software doesn't work at all. Ever since I downloaded this software I have had nothing but trouble and have no clue what other things have been affected (I am not that much of a computer person, but can follow directions pretty good!) So I have (hopefully) gotten rid of all remnants of Kodak EasyShare.

    I have gotten another piece of advice which is to purchase a card reader. I don't know what the heck a card reader is ... yikes.

    Thanks for any help you can give!
    Sadie

    Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Sadie,

    Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

    Truth is, Sadie, that EasyShare does not take over your system nor does it
    keep you from using any of the programs on your system. Rather, I suspect
    that your reference is to the program that is associated with viewing and
    editing your pictures. This is an option on installation. If you want to
    change the program that is designated to open a file type (image file in
    this case) by your operating system, you need to associate the file type
    with the program you want to use. In the future, any file you want to open
    of this kind will use the program you have chosen. For example, if you want
    all JPG files to be opened by Photoshop, even when reviewing on the web,
    this is the program that will open that file type (JPG) and be used by your
    operating system.

    For most Windows programs, you can change which program starts when you open
    a file by:

    Clicking on My Computer or opening Windows Explorer

    Choose the Folder Option from the View menu.

    Click the File Types tab

    In the list of file types, click the one you want to change, i.e. JPG

    Click Edit.

    In the Actions, click Open.

    Click Edit.

    In Application Used to Perform Action, enter the program you want to use to
    open files that have this extension, or browse your hard drive to find the
    Photoshop program, then click OK.

    Note: The settings for selected file types are shown in File Type Details.

    Since you have had trouble you may want to make sure you have removed all of
    the installation files used by EasyShare. You can do this by first going to
    the Add/Remove programs option found in the Control Panel

    Click on Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove then scroll down the list to see
    if there is anything related to Kodak EasyShare Software. If you find
    something highlight it and choose remove. If you do not or after that
    content is gone go to the following site and read the directions on how to
    'clear' your system of the program. Once it is gone you can return to the
    Kodak website where they have the EasyShare software download links. Choose
    'Download' and when the download option appears, click Open. This will
    begin the installation - do not click quickly but read each screen after
    choosing it. The next screen should ask what kind of installation do want.
    Choose Custom. In the Custom application you can choose only the Camera
    Connection Software option. Only that portion of the software will be
    installed so you can retrieve images from the camera.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/ess4

    Once this is complete, you can get your pictures from the camera while
    reviewing and editing is done in Photoshop. Give it a try, Sadie, and let
    me know if you have questions.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company