Step-By-Step IOS upgrade Procedure.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bob Smith, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    Is there a Step-By-Step guide to upgrading an IOS image on a Catalyst 2950
    switch?

    I have the switch, i have a laptop, i have a later version IOS image.

    how do i get it onto the switch.? I assume TFTP ? but how?
    Do i delete the old IOS off .. or just overwrite it over the top?

    Does it save the config, or do i need to re-write it on?

    If it breaks half way through - is there a "recovery procedure".

    I'm just used to doing firmware updates via web-interfaces ... why do Cisco
    make it so hard

    Soooo many questions! :)

    Thanks!
    Bob.
    Bob Smith, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Bob Smith

    Chad Mahoney Guest

    Bob Smith wrote:
    > Is there a Step-By-Step guide to upgrading an IOS image on a Catalyst 2950
    > switch?
    >
    > I have the switch, i have a laptop, i have a later version IOS image.
    >
    > how do i get it onto the switch.? I assume TFTP ? but how?
    > Do i delete the old IOS off .. or just overwrite it over the top?
    >
    > Does it save the config, or do i need to re-write it on?
    >
    > If it breaks half way through - is there a "recovery procedure".
    >
    > I'm just used to doing firmware updates via web-interfaces ... why do Cisco
    > make it so hard
    >

    > Soooo many questions! :)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Bob.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...s_configuration_example09186a0080169627.shtml

    Not really too hard, google is your friend.
    Chad Mahoney, Nov 16, 2006

  3. Bob Smith

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    Bob Smith, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    "Merv" <> wrote in message

    > The very FIRST thing you do is to backup the current image !!!
    >
    > the second thing is to backup the current config - either using TFTP
    > copy or simply using terminal session logging and doing
    >
    > term len 0
    > sh run
    >

    > for upgrade procedures, see
    >
    > http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/lanswitching/showcase?case=K38794371
    >

    > for password recovery procedure, see
    >
    > http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

    Thank you very much for your quick response, those links listed in your
    links look good.

    Bob
    Bob Smith, Nov 16, 2006