Step-by-step EtherChannel between CatOS and IOS?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chris, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting an EtherChannel (just layer-2
    would be fine) configured between a Catalyst 4006 (running CatOS
    8.1(2)) and a 4-port Cisco switch module (running IOS 12.1(22)) that's
    part of an IBM BladeCenter. The Catalyst has all of its modules set to
    PAgP, which I would prefer to use over LACP. I am not actually sure how
    to check what channel protocols are set on the BladeCenter's switch,
    though.

    On the Catalyst, I would like to use ports 4/20 and 4/21 to make a
    dual-gigabit EtherChannel to the Cisco. Therefore, on the Catalyst, I
    have this enabled:

    set port channel 4/20-21 mode on

    I'm rather a little bit lost when it comes to setting up the switch
    running IOS, though. I found this command in some Cisco docs:

    channel-group 1 mode on

    (applied to the relevant interfaces), but I'm not sure if this is all
    that I need. Could anyone please point me in the correct direction with
    what else I need to do to get everything running?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Chris, Jan 19, 2007

  2. Chris

    Guest

    To have the switches use PAgP you need to set the mode to either auto
    or desirable. Try the following and see if you have better luck with
    it.

    set port channel 4/20-21 mode desirable

    channel-group 1 mode desirable

    Hope this helps,
    -Dan

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting an EtherChannel (just layer-2
    > would be fine) configured between a Catalyst 4006 (running CatOS
    > 8.1(2)) and a 4-port Cisco switch module (running IOS 12.1(22)) that's
    > part of an IBM BladeCenter. The Catalyst has all of its modules set to
    > PAgP, which I would prefer to use over LACP. I am not actually sure how
    > to check what channel protocols are set on the BladeCenter's switch,
    > though.
    >
    > On the Catalyst, I would like to use ports 4/20 and 4/21 to make a
    > dual-gigabit EtherChannel to the Cisco. Therefore, on the Catalyst, I
    > have this enabled:
    >
    > set port channel 4/20-21 mode on
    >
    > I'm rather a little bit lost when it comes to setting up the switch
    > running IOS, though. I found this command in some Cisco docs:
    >
    > channel-group 1 mode on
    >
    > (applied to the relevant interfaces), but I'm not sure if this is all
    > that I need. Could anyone please point me in the correct direction with
    > what else I need to do to get everything running?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Chris

    , Jan 19, 2007

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    wrote:
    > To have the switches use PAgP you need to set the mode to either auto
    > or desirable. Try the following and see if you have better luck with
    > it.
    >
    > set port channel 4/20-21 mode desirable
    >
    > channel-group 1 mode desirable
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > -Dan

    Thanks Dan. Before I read your post I had them both set to "on", and it
    *looks like* it works:

    % show channel info

    (snip)

    490 4/20 connected on 266 a-1Gb a-full 1
    490 4/21 connected on 266 a-1Gb a-full 1

    That's from the 4006's CatOS. I'm not sure what the equivalent command
    is in IOS?

    Chris

    Chris, Jan 19, 2007
  4. Chris

    Guest

    wrote:
    > To have the switches use PAgP you need to set the mode to either auto
    > or desirable. Try the following and see if you have better luck with
    > it.
    >
    > set port channel 4/20-21 mode desirable
    >
    > channel-group 1 mode desirable
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > -Dan
    >

    > Chris wrote:
    > > I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting an EtherChannel (just layer-2
    > > would be fine) configured between a Catalyst 4006 (running CatOS
    > > 8.1(2)) and a 4-port Cisco switch module (running IOS 12.1(22)) that's
    > > part of an IBM BladeCenter. The Catalyst has all of its modules set to
    > > PAgP, which I would prefer to use over LACP. I am not actually sure how
    > > to check what channel protocols are set on the BladeCenter's switch,
    > > though.
    > >
    > > On the Catalyst, I would like to use ports 4/20 and 4/21 to make a
    > > dual-gigabit EtherChannel to the Cisco. Therefore, on the Catalyst, I
    > > have this enabled:
    > >
    > > set port channel 4/20-21 mode on
    > >
    > > I'm rather a little bit lost when it comes to setting up the switch
    > > running IOS, though. I found this command in some Cisco docs:
    > >
    > > channel-group 1 mode on
    > >
    > > (applied to the relevant interfaces), but I'm not sure if this is all
    > > that I need. Could anyone please point me in the correct direction with
    > > what else I need to do to get everything running?

    This should be reasonably straightforward.
    One thing that can easily happen during the configuration of port
    channels if the ports are up connected is that ports can be put in the
    errdisable state. On IOS shut then no shut the port to recover.

    > > channel-group 1 mode on
    > > (applied to the relevant interfaces),

    that is it.

    when you issue these commands a new interface will
    be created

    int port-channel 1.

    I think that Cisco recommend mode desireable since the kit can
    recover from various possibly problematic problems in that case.

    One thing that can cause problems is that if trunking is
    configured the two ends must agree on which VLANS are to be
    transported.

    To get it working you could disable trunking on both ends and then
    turn it on afterwards.

    Make sure that you have logging enabled

    IOS

    log buffered deb
    log buffered 50000

    CatOS - I forget - sorry, been a while.

    There are probably some debugs on the IOS end.

    opswhq02#deb etherChannel ?
    all All debugging
    detail Step below all
    error Displaying error messages
    event Major events
    idb Agport idb related events
    linecard SCP messages to linecard
    <cr>

    opswhq02#deb etherChannel

    WARNING - you need to take care with debugs on production equipment
    due to potential CPU overhead however I would think that this one would

    be quite safe. Playing with etherchannel on production equipment on the

    other hand is not at all safe due to the possibility of network loops
    forming,
    fapping etherchannels triggering STP re-convergence.

    , Jan 19, 2007
  5. Chris

    Guest

    Try "show etherchannel summary" That should give you what you're
    looking for. Just be aware that you're not using PAgP the way you have
    it setup, but if you're just looking for a working etherchannel you
    should be good to go.

    Here's sample output from the show etherchannel summary.

    rmpx4#sh eth s
    Flags: D - down P - in port-channel
    I - stand-alone s - suspended
    H - Hot-standby (LACP only)
    R - Layer3 S - Layer2
    U - in use f - failed to allocate aggregator

    Number of channel-groups in use: 1
    Number of aggregators: 1

    Group Port-channel Protocol Ports
    ------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------
    1 Po1(SU) PAgP Gi3/15(P) Gi3/16(P) Gi4/15(P)
    Gi4/16(P)

    -Dan

    Chris wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > To have the switches use PAgP you need to set the mode to either auto
    > > or desirable. Try the following and see if you have better luck with
    > > it.
    > >
    > > set port channel 4/20-21 mode desirable
    > >
    > > channel-group 1 mode desirable
    > >
    > > Hope this helps,
    > > -Dan

    > Thanks Dan. Before I read your post I had them both set to "on", and it
    > *looks like* it works:
    >
    > % show channel info
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > 490 4/20 connected on 266 a-1Gb a-full 1
    > 490 4/21 connected on 266 a-1Gb a-full 1
    >
    > That's from the 4006's CatOS. I'm not sure what the equivalent command
    > is in IOS?
    >

    > Chris
    >

    > > Chris wrote:
    > > > I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting an EtherChannel (just layer-2
    > > > would be fine) configured between a Catalyst 4006 (running CatOS
    > > > 8.1(2)) and a 4-port Cisco switch module (running IOS 12.1(22)) that's
    > > > part of an IBM BladeCenter. The Catalyst has all of its modules set to
    > > > PAgP, which I would prefer to use over LACP. I am not actually sure how
    > > > to check what channel protocols are set on the BladeCenter's switch,
    > > > though.
    > > >
    > > > On the Catalyst, I would like to use ports 4/20 and 4/21 to make a
    > > > dual-gigabit EtherChannel to the Cisco. Therefore, on the Catalyst, I
    > > > have this enabled:
    > > >
    > > > set port channel 4/20-21 mode on
    > > >
    > > > I'm rather a little bit lost when it comes to setting up the switch
    > > > running IOS, though. I found this command in some Cisco docs:
    > > >
    > > > channel-group 1 mode on
    > > >
    > > > (applied to the relevant interfaces), but I'm not sure if this is all
    > > > that I need. Could anyone please point me in the correct direction with
    > > > what else I need to do to get everything running?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >

    > > > Chris

    , Jan 19, 2007